Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Test-Run

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Lv. 1 Overlord

Stats:

Vitality: 400

Mana: 500

Physical Attack: 360

Physical Defence: 400

Magical Attack: 445

Magical Defence: 680

Agility: 415

Luck: 0

Abilities:

Tyranny of the Demon King:

A dark aura shrouding the overlord that instills terror in his enemies and dominates lesser monsters.

Embodiment of the World’s Evil:

As the champion of darkness, the overlord is empowered even further when battling do-gooder foes.

Lv. 5 Goblin

Stats:

Vitality: 50

Mana: 0

Physical Attack: 20

Physical Defence: 10

Magical Attack: 15

Magical Defence: 10

Agility: 30

Lv. 10 Knight

Stats:

Vitality: 150

Mana: 0

Physical Attack: 100

Physical Defence: 125

Magical Attack: 0

Magical Defence: 80

Agility: 50

Something like this, I think. Though as usual, treat the numbers as a guide to a character's ability rather than something to be used for hard calculations. And I think we'll need a rep tracker as well.

Baltika9

Arcane
Though as usual, treat the numbers as a guide to a character's ability rather than something to be used for hard calculations.
The stat scale will require some explanation, 400 Agility and 360 Physical Attack (takes 360 HP with a standard attack?) aren't as self-explanatory as 8/10 Strength and 11/10 SWORDS.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The stat scale will require some explanation, 400 Agility and 360 Physical Attack (takes 360 HP with a standard attack?) aren't as self-explanatory as 8/10 Strength and 11/10 SWORDS.

It's all relative. 400 agility vs 50 roughly means that you can attack 8 times for each single swing of the knight's sword. Deduct the defense rating of the defender from the attack rating of the attacker and you should have the damage it would do to the defender's vitality. The numbers will also go up or down depending on equipment, skill, ability, or spell used. If you are able to determine your opponent's strength, this may be described in the choices.

Or should I use A-B-C tiers instead?

Baltika9

Arcane
If by A-B-C you mean Heavy Armor/Medium Armor/Light Armor, then I think that would be more intuitive and also help prevent statsturbation somewhat. When you said there would be a stat system, I was expecting Legend's SPECIAL again. Is there a particular reason you switched?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If by A-B-C you mean Heavy Armor/Medium Armor/Light Armor, then I think that would be more intuitive and also help prevent statsturbation somewhat.

No, I mean A-rank strength (minotaurs etc), B-rank strength (ogres etc), and so on and so forth. Descriptive tiers rather than numbers. Why would armor matter to the Final Boss Overlord? A knight in normal plate and a knight in normal leather are all going to get fried just as easily.

When you said there would be a stat system, I was expecting Legend's SPECIAL again. Is there a particular reason you switched?

Lv 1. Overlord

Strength: 100/10
Perception: 100/10
Endurance: 100/10
Charisma: 100/10
Intelligence: 100/10
Agility: 100/10
Luck: 0/10

I suppose this can be solved partially by having all normal human characters at 1/10, hero characters ranging from 2 - 5 etc, but ultimately I'm looking at something more Dragon Quest inspired.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, that explains that. What's with the 0/10 luck? Are we really Li Shun, abandoned by HEAVANZ? Is it a level-able stat?
No, I mean A-rank strength (minotaurs etc), B-rank strength (ogres etc), and so on and so forth. Descriptive tiers rather than numbers. Why would armor matter to the Final Boss Overlord? A knight in normal plate and a knight in normal leather are all going to get fried just as easily.
When you brought up attack and swing speeds, I figured the armor and weapons would have an impact on an individual unit's capabilities. Of course, relative to this guy:
images
Nothing will be of much help.
Yeah, abstract A-B-C-D tiers would be a better reference in my opinion, since they aren't supposed to be used for hard calculations.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
When you brought up attack and swing speeds, I figured the armor and weapons would have an impact on an individual unit's capabilities.

Enchanted weapons will have an effect on capabilities. Otherwise, big bads don't really tend to care if they're being attacked with a normal iron mace or a normal iron dagger.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It will be very difficult to reproduce if you choose to be non-humanoid/undead. Compatibility issues.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Though as usual, treat the numbers as a guide to a character's ability rather than something to be used for hard calculations.
The hard numbers have that effect that, while they don't mean anything concrete, they create an impression that they do.

So if you want to avoid qualitative statements like 'an Overlord is worth 10 knights in combat, but will have trouble with 11 of them', it is probably better to use something more ambiguous like tiers. Especially if you wanted us to use our imagination and updates more than the stat sheet.

On the other hand, a relative improvement measured in numbers is easier to understand. An increase in defensive ability from 400 to 450 is less headscratchy than an improvement from A- to A - at least on the first glance, until you realize that you still don't know how good 450 is anyway.

It's all relative. 400 agility vs 50 roughly means that you can attack 8 times for each single swing of the knight's sword. Deduct the defense rating of the defender from the attack rating of the attacker and you should have the damage it would do to the defender's vitality.
Does it mean that we can tank 20 goblins (400 defence vs 20 attack) at once without breaking a sweat/taking no damage? And since goblins can't really encircle us in large numbers without getting in each other's way, we are effectively invincible to them?

It will be very difficult to reproduce if you are non-humanoid/undead. Compatibility issues.
But are we? Where do the Overlords come from?

Also, there are always mut(il)ations and necromancy to close that gap. Failing that, we just need to find an Overlady. :hug:

No babies - no game!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Does it mean that we can tank 20 goblins at once without breaking a sweat/taking no damage? And since goblins can't really encircle us in large numbers without getting in each other's way, we are effectively invincible to them?

You can tank nigh infinite amounts of lv. 5 goblin attacks without taking any damage, but a zillion goblins gathered in one spot collapsing into a black hole through sheer mass might be bad for your health. That's irrelevant now anyway, with regards to the stats, I'm going to be using tiers instead of numbers, with + to indicate greater ability within a tier, going up to 3 +s.

For an example that might be easier to understand:

Zhang Jue:
Physical Attack: B+++
Physical Defense: B+++
Agility: B+

Xu Jing:
Physical Attack: C+++
Physical Defense: C
Agility: B

Oni:
Physical Attack: B
Physical Defense: B+
Agility: D

Peasant:
Physical Attack: F
Physical Defense: F
Agility: F

What the ranks actually mean narrative-wise will have to come later though.

I was thinking exactly that: if we're going to devote ourselves to a life of matrimony, then I will only settle for a villainess of our caliber and ambition.

You mean like defeating the previous Overlord and having her pledge herself to you since you are stronk enough?

Baltika9

Arcane
You mean like defeating the previous Overlord and having her pledge herself to you since you are stronk enough?
Possibly, or corrupting the Queen of Elves to darkness and then claiming her as ours. Or just finding an ambitious princess with no morals and a lust for power.

Like so.

Esquilax

Arcane
I'm assuming that Big Wang would have A+ defense while being slightly slower than Lord Zhang. Yang Xue would be able to curbstomp everybody, so he's A+++ at everything, most likely.

Tigranes

Arcane
The simpler you keep the numbers, the less we'll statsplurg. If you don't want us to treat them as hard figures, then it would help to have "High Agility" or "Agility: A" rather than "423".

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For an example that might be easier to understand:

Zhang Jue:
Physical Attack: B+++
Physical Defense: B+++
Agility: B+
No. No, it isn't. In fact, it is unfathomable.

Superlolis and faggots supercharged by deities can claim their S tier, but Zhang must rule supreme among humans! :argh:

Baltika9

Arcane
That is the glory of Lord Zhang: he is human, with human flaws and limitations, yet he overcomes the divine because of it.
He is an inspiration to all of us and we should strive to follow the Lord's example.
Ave Zhang Jue.
:salute:

lightbane

Arcane
:necro:

That was an interesting... Experiment. Too bad reading it is not as fun and lacks an ending. Worse, the most annoying people survive somehow, against all established tradition...

An actual continuation would have Francesca bleeding out, Caitlyn imprisoned in the dome forever, Edgar dying in combat, and Quack-Quack starving to death in the dark in the next update.

But luckily they wouldn't. Good thing everyone was intentionally insufferable so that no-one got attached to these characters. The neckbeard was hilarious.

The Goddess asked him to get shit done, and where did it get her? Betrayed, rejected and stabbed. And without her favorite piggy-tiggy. :(

SdMrzIxeA30.jpg

Oh hey, the good ending of Monster Girl Quest, a game that certainly goes to places. It's definitively not Rance material, but not too bad for a h-game, I expected more discussion of the sequel in the Codex's jrpg subforum, but I bet some people are too embarrassed to admit they're playing this other than for "research", but I digress.

Now then, only Spiral remains to be read and I'll have completed treave's collection.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom