Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lucy Dreaming – British comedy point-and-click adventure

Fatberg Slim

Educated
Patron
I recently finished the point & click adventure game Lucy Dreaming and thought I’d start a thread with some comments on it.

1668460218236.png
1668460228516.png

The game, released last month by small UK-based developer Tall Story Games, is billed as a “splendidly British point & click comedy adventure” where you control a girl named Lucy as she tries to rid herself of the nightmares she continually experiences. This involves exploring locations not only in pseudo real-world Britain but also in the world of her dreams. The dream scenes have some clever (if eventually tedious) dynamics for influencing the environment and characters, along with more abstract/cartoony puzzles compared to those you encounter in the somewhat mundane real-world portions.

- The game includes a lot of authentic British terms and cultural touchpoints, and the slang even factors into one of the puzzle trees. It’s not as extreme as playing a Magnetic Scrolls game back in the day, but it adds some flavor and makes me feel worldly. I for one feel happy that I now know what a bog brush is, and it’s nice to hear about the Women’s Institute in a context other than that one clip of ladies clapping that shows up in every Monty Python episode. Edutainment!

- The overall vibe is amusing if not side-splittingly hilarious. Maybe this is part of the intended Britishness of the game, but despite the underlying humorous and often surreal overtone, the game plays everything completely straight. I especially liked how there is a church devoted to St. Graham, the patron saint of moon logic :lol:

- Interface is a kind of streamlined Lucasarts style with all inventory items listed on the main play screen and separate icons for look/talk/get/use commands. There is a button to highlight all of the onscreen hotspots that are actually useful to the player. I haven’t seen this approach to giving hints before, and other than testing it out I didn’t use it so I can’t say how helpful it is. Thankfully you can double-click on exits to leave scenes quickly

- All lines are voiced, mostly competently and with a range of accents. The main character’s voice was a bit jarring though since it sounds too old for a school-aged girl. I was surprised
to hear Dominic Armato voicing a minor character. I guess Return to Monkey Island didn’t pay all the bills for the year, although thankfully he doesn’t make any wink-wink references to Guybrush or pirates or anything like that

- Visuals were good, about the same quality as Thimbleweed Park with a lot of interactive scenery and amusing unique comments. Sound and music are nothing memorable

-Not a very difficult game, although you have more objects and locations to deal with than most contemporary adventure games and the dream sequences require a bit more lateral thinking. On average I’d say it’s somewhere between Shardlight and Technobabylon in terms of challenge. I encountered exactly one puzzle with an alternative solution, which is one more than is typical nowadays

- SJW watch: Nothing to get alarmed about. I was prepared for the potential for a lot of “Girl Power” messaging and the MC’s trauma being rooted in The Patriarchy or something similarly evil, but there isn’t any of that. The MC is just about the only normal person in the game, with almost all side characters being some combination of incompetent, weird, and/or obnoxious regardless of being male or female or white or off-white. The game has its racist and sexist moments too…
1668459886022.png
1668459901970.png
1668459914449.png

- No bugs encountered!

- Ending was a bit disappointing and arrived a bit suddenly, but it’s definitely better than Return to MI: :M
The MC realizes the cause of the trauma and doesn’t like what she learns, then she blacks out such that she no longer has any memory of it. I’m no psychologist but that doesn’t seem healthy to me, and in fact in the last scene her nightmares start over again. Of course, it could be that this actually is not meant to be a happy ending, although that's a bit dark compared to the rest of the game

- My playthrough was close to 6 hours according to the save game clock

Comparing this to Unusual Findings which I also played recently and posted about, this is definitely a more polished product and probably a better game overall, although I preferred the actual “going on an adventure” feel of UF more. There aren’t a lot of retro-style adventure games on GOG or Steam let alone decent ones, so I’d say this is worth a try (they have a free demo), although as always I’d recommend waiting for a sale

Modron

Arcane
These Guys announced their next game: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1532710/view/3669922640235895874
Introducing: Heir of the Dog
A NEW game from Tall Story Games

If you have followed my journey into game development over the past few years, you'll probably be aware of Hair of the Dog, a short adventure game I created for AdvXJam back in 2020. It was created in twelve days, so was a little rough around the edges, but pipped Lucy Dreaming to the post as the first game I ever released on Steam. In that respect it was a great test-run, paving the way for Lucy two years later.

Hair of the Dog has enjoyed over 25,000 downloads on various platforms since it was released, and I have received hundreds of messages and reviews from people all over the world requesting a full length version.

Demo coming soon!
The demo is tantalisingly almost finished, with the voices being recorded as I type, but that shouldn't stop anyone from adding it to their wishlist (we all know how the Steam algorithm loves a wishlist!)

3a0c17fafb7afdf40f6b42adc88852e3318debf7.png

The demo is predominantly a recreation of the original Game Jam game from 2020 so, if you've played it before, the majority of the puzzles and dialogue will be familiar to you, but I have applied everything I learned whilst developing Lucy Dreaming in terms of the improved UI, controller support and artwork. So, even if you have met Cummerbund before, why not clear the fog with a stroll down Memory Lane when the demo is released.

2845656f71e433240579717ebd4124303336bea4.png

Add it to your wishlist now

More About This Game
TL/DR: Demo soon.

eviltentacle

Novice
If you liked Lucy Dreaming look up The Will of Arthur Flabbington, another new retro-style adventure game with similar humour. The dev behind Lucy Dreaming is the main character's voice actor in Will of Arthur Flabbington and Lucy also shows up in a small Easter egg. Will also has a few pretty clever puzzles in it, so you might like it if you’re annoyed at other contemporary adventure games being too easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom