Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ludo Lense Thread

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Cool vid but you shouldn't narc on gamers like that

I only reported that player and it was for the joke, can't say I feel bad though. There is C&C IRL when you want to be an edgy kid that breaks TOS.

Darkzone

Arcane
HEMA is based upon treatises and not realism, but it tries to be realistic by the means of sparring. And in HEMA tournaments you see the realism, which is not like in the treaties.
What does this sentence even mean? Do you think the Gladiatoria series was written for entertainment purposes? The vast majority of techniques described are realistic. In HEMA Tournaments you see a lot of the techniques described in those manuals, no idea what you mean by "realistic".
Sorry but this is for a experienced fighter just nonsense. I have already written about it in the Deliverance: Kingdom Come thread, so i will not repeat myself. You can look it up there.

In the same moment you talk about fighting realism you show an over accelerated turnaround attack. And yeah that is so realistic as me fly, like superman.
Okay so you either didn't watch the video or didn't pay attention.
"Knights vs Vikings vs Samurai. The somewhat educated adult in me balks at the idea but the child in me, the child in me is overjoyed. This is basically action figures for all intents and purposes. However, while it is indeed not realistic by general terms it is stunningly realistic by video game standards"
I was referring three to the sword fighting, not to the Knights vs Vikings vs Samurai theme. Which by the way i wish you fun at playing. Enjoy it, but do not call the fighting realistic just because it has half-swording in it.

Harold

Arcane
Spot on review.

One minor nitpick: the shadows following TNO in PST were just called... Shadows, not Sorrows, as you say in the vid, so at least in that sense, 2rment wasn't aping its sire.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Great stuff Ludo Sense, really funny, your review is the only one accurate on the whole youtube, not only Torment but your other reviews are great too, will subscribe on your channel. You know the deplorable estate humanity is when supposedly "professional" reviewers and youtubers that get paid to do that shit can't analyse a game for shit. It is pathetic watching the reviews from the big sites and youtubers it is just an endless vomit of subjective phrases like "This feels like a true 90's RPG." like if that shit meant anything or a seek for pretentious game connoisseur badge.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Spot on review.

One minor nitpick: the shadows following TNO in PST were just called... Shadows, not Sorrows, as you say in the vid, so at least in that sense, 2rment wasn't aping its sire.

I dun goofed badly. In my defense, more than 1 person who finished PS:T read the script and didn't notice it. Put an annotation about my mistake.

Black Angel

Arcane

Before you ask, the productions shenanigans took the cut, something had to.

Comment section: "Why even bothering reviewing cRPG when you obviously don't like cRPGs... geez..."
:prosper:
Seems like this video in particular attracted the scum of 'gamer' fanbase. The worst kind of them all, which is similar to the new fanbase Bethesda managed to attract with Fallout 4.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Comment section: "Why even bothering reviewing cRPG when you obviously don't like cRPGs... geez..."
Why read a review if you only accept positive things said? :roll: It is like they want the reviewer to lie to them so they can maintain the pretension the game is good.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They are at the "Anger" stage, they'll move on to Bargaining soon. Fargo is at the Bargaining stage right now.

Cadmus

Arcane
ah so the game is shit? what a disappointment
nice review, Ludo, as always.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Thanks for the nice words regarding Inifere. It's funny that you have the philethis up while saying that no one references Tides since it (heavy-handedly, I though!) calls out your Tide when you talk to it. "You reckon but you do not know the figures" or whatever if you are Blue, etc. I didn't realize, though, that their gameplay role is so limited -- at least when I was writing, there was a specific power to see someone's Tide, and you were supposed to use it exactly as you said. And the Meres were tidally aligned too, and checks within the Mere were easier if you had the right alignment.

The antediluvian point is an interesting one. I've long wondered how one should deal with words in English that have earth-historical roots when you are in a fantastical setting. It's easy to nix a "French kiss" but what about laconic, thug, assassin, zealot, mausoleum, colossal, etc.? I recall from the Numenera source materials I read through when I started on the project that the setting is sold, in part, as a way of avoiding such problems because, since it's our world, any of these things can show up as relics (relicts?) of the past, though it seems to me that this is fairly absurd given the length of time that has passed. And of course in Numenera no one is speaking "English" so when someone is recorded as saying "antediluvian," they have in fact said some other word in the Truth, which has been "translated" to English. But this is a pretty lousy response because the point is that the word conjures as a specific thing -- it doesn't just mean "old" or "very old." But perhaps the was a flood in Sagus Cliffs, too? Who's to say?

My own preference is to avoid such terms when possible, and Fallen Gods makes that relatively easy because of the more general usage of pre-1066 Old English rooted words. I think I might've referred to something in Inifere's Mere as "cyclopean" but that was when it literally had one eye; but then I think it was changed in the lore to just having teeth... I can't remember if I fixed the word.

Numenera as a setting is really at risk of hold-your-hippogriff expressions, which to my mind are probably even more jarring than transposing a term from our world that doesn't make sense there. For example, "antechilavian" would've been even more ridiculous. But probably best would've been to avoid it altogether.

Anyway, this kind of stuff fascinates me endlessly, and is part of what bogs my writing down so much -- trying to get exactly the right word for what you want to say. [EDIT: Incidentally, one such word that appears in the short clip you show is "pedagogos," a word I owe to the Codex.] I'm not sure that it matters for most readers. Aside:
I'm currently trying to read Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. Simmons wrote one of my all-time favorite books (Hyperion) and Summer of Night is widely acclaimed. In his introduction, Simmons says that it's his second most popular novel, after Hyperion, in terms of how often fans write him, etc. But the book is really, really bad. It is a lame copy of It with terrible writing and absurd characters (a 13-year-old Marty Sue aspiring writer "easily" invents voice recognition technology (from scavenged parts, I guess?) for the analog answering machine his alcoholic dad invented), and the line-by-line writing is terrible as well. To be honest, this is basically the way I feel when I pick up almost any work of genre writing now other than the very best. All this makes me think that obsessing over something like word choice is basically something on does for his own sake, because the overwhelming majority of readers are completely indifferent to that as long as the writing gives them something else they're looking for -- in the case of Summer of Night, a fantasia about super-kids fighting demons in a charmed 1960s childhood that the readers wished they had, even though no one ever did.

Anyway, thanks for the review. I do agree with the sentiment Colin recently expressed that it's a pain to watch video reviews, though. If you have a script for it, I think it would be great to post it here.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
I didn't realize, though, that their gameplay role is so limited -- at least when I was writing, there was a specific power to see someone's Tide, and you were supposed to use it exactly as you said. And the Meres were tidally aligned too, and checks within the Mere were easier if you had the right alignment.

This pre-alpha video shows that the tides were supposed to have a greater impact on quests and characters, but thanks for confirming that it's another feature that got cut at some point.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Oh hai Mark.

Thanks for the nice words regarding Inifere. It's funny that you have the philethis up while saying that no one references Tides since it (heavy-handedly, I though!) calls out your Tide when you talk to it.

I worded it as "The loading screen tooltips tell you that there are slight changes to dialogue but I’ll be damned if I have ever seen anything related to that" to give myself a little leeway since I was certain that something would change but given that the writing has that "lol, random" quality I was never sure.

The Sorrow told me "You always value choice, yes you are consistent in your chosen ending" but I wasn't sure if it was for my Blue/Golden Tide or some choice in a quest.

From what I can see it is on the Oblivion level of "I heard you can block something fierce with your shield boss" reactive dialogue.

laconic, thug, assassin, zealot, mausoleum, colossal, etc.?

If the secondary meaning becomes the first then you are fine. Only a fraction of the population that knows that assassin=killer for hire also know about the Hashshashin.

I highly doubt antediluvian is used as a synonym for really old more than its cultural/religious meaning.

I do agree with the sentiment Colin recently expressed that it's a pain to watch video reviews, though.

:rpgcodex:

This was my second complaint after spoilers so I will probably make a website or just dropbox with all my texts (I also have to spruce them up and remove the audio-visual references baked in)

bataille

Arcane
Yes, that remark about 'antediluvian' is pretty nonsensical.
If we started with the premise that it was Earth 1 billion years from now, then there wouldn't be a single word in their everyday speech, nor a grammatical structure, that we know of today, not just 'antediluvian'.
Well, if it WAS Earth at some point, then the history would include it dialectically, not that it'd matter.
If we started with the premise that the language in the game was an abstraction serving to help us understand the characters, then, again, the remark is nonsensical, since the rules for the usage of language would be completely arbitrary and self-imposed (for whatever reason).

The thing is, you picked the one word, but there are more words in the very same sentence that you could outlaw the same way (all of them, actually). Myriad is a Greek numeral. Detritus is derived (quite literally) from a Latin word. Every word in English language has history, be it indigenous words or loanwords. Every last one of them has denotations and connotations, as well as etymology, most of which don't have anything to do with the Ninth World.
For bonus points you could also point out the fact that the characters use case, gender and number inflections from Latin language for the words of Latin origins. Now that's some transdimensional and timeless polyglotism!

Even today, etymological roots of a tremendous amount of words refer to realities that no longer exist. People still use the words.
They either don't care about their etymology, or know it. If they both care and don't know it, they sometimes come up with their own explanations
But, to say the truth, words are dying everyday. The ones that can't satisfy our constantly changing reality are the first to go. The most obvious example is outdated vulgarisms. After a few thousand years there won't be much left of English language. Nor any language that exists today.

Technically speaking, if your world is not our Earth, then you can do whatever you want with its language, since the whole premise of them speaking our languages is entirely ludicrous. Not only did they not have Homer, but they also did not have Greeks or Romans. Languages were not created based on them. No gallicisms, no latinisms, no germanisms allowed. Nothing. Shhh. They can't speak English, period. So either create a language for your world (good luck with that) or impose whatever rules you want on the existing languages.

On the side note, I think there is a type of neurosis at work, which would explain the obsession with which all these worlds have made-up words. People didn't think it all through, but still had that irrational fear of some one word (when the rational fear would be of every last word, heh).

Anyway, the video is great, I enjoyed it very much (and watched some others on your channel). Sorry for rambling.

Yeah, I have a degree in linguistics, so what LMAO.

Ha! In the trailer they had portraits for the other NPC's. WTF happened?also we had selection circle for the person that speaks, bet you consoles are to blame for this! Ow, and Brian Fargo. Let's get him!!

This feels like watching Van Burren over Fallout 3 :(

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Re: antediluvian, I wasn't arguing the point, more just wondering how far to take it. I tend to take it pretty far, indeed -- though of course at some point you don't want to run to an obscure or bad-sounding word simply to get away from one with real-world roots. In terms of the usage, of "antediluvian" in particular, I've learned to avoid making such predictions since I am so often wrong, but I would avoid it for the reason you point out.

Re: script, one of the strangest things about the current era is that even as everyone's attention span is being eroded, more things seem to be shifting to videos, which I find extremely frustrating from a short-attention standpoint. I prefer to be able to control the pace at which I consume information (speeding up when I'm bored, slowing down when I'm curious or taken aback), and videos are kind of frustrating in that regard.

Re: Tides, IMO this is one further piece of evidence for my "chunky" theory of games, which is that small changes are generally inferior to big changes because they're harder to recognize. A hundred small decisions reflected in a hundred small places has a lot less impact than being able to blow up a city once.

Re: Trailer, I believe that is the approach to the Kholn Village gate (the area I did the Mere about). Looks neat!

Naraya

Arcane
First of all - thanks for the review, watched it yesterday :)

Also - wow, this UI looks sooo much better...

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
How to describe antediluvian or any esoteric piece of lore which is not known to the player ? I would guess writer would need to use many adjectives for it but then one noun suits this term better, I think.

Generally, is there a way player could experience unknown exotic asset in the game through the puzzle or with visual gameplay interaction instead narration?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Re: antediluvian, I wasn't arguing the point, more just wondering how far to take it. I tend to take it pretty far, indeed -- though of course at some point you don't want to run to an obscure or bad-sounding word simply to get away from one with real-world roots. In terms of the usage, of "antediluvian" in particular, I've learned to avoid making such predictions since I am so often wrong, but I would avoid it for the reason you point out.

It's also a stylistic issue, I'm pretty sure the writer used antediluvian because it sounded cool, but that's the problem. It was used without any thought and without a clear goal for stylistic coherency. Numanuma had the possibility and reason to invent its own style, but it turned out to be mishmash, a pity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom