Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LUND, YOU TREACHEROUS CUNT

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Exactly. If someone wrote a stupid post one person could write that the person in stupid and other would just brofist him. Now everyone who disagrees have to go in and tell that person why they think he's wrong. Makes threads clusterfucks.

I mean look at this shit. Every massege board needs a way to show which users are respectable and which are not, at least I need it. Before this post would be an useless rambling which would lower my brofist ratio, now talking to myself like a retard makes me look smart.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
5w9JvvU.jpg
5w9JvvU.jpg
5w9JvvU.jpg

Zetor

Arcane
Not that I care either way (I think I brofisted one post total, and that was to show support to soneone who wasn't a codexer in the first place), but brofists on the codex have always been dumb. If people are worried about contentless +1/agree posts flooding the codex, that's more of an indication of general poster quality. There are quite a few forums/communities on the net where "+1 posts" never became a problem ...

I've never seen a public forum where people don't chime in to repeat the same thing 800 times, which is essentially +1. Brofists solve that problem, to an extent, by allowing posters to endorse whoever best sums up their own opinion -- until the thread reaches 999 pages, that is, and you do start getting endless repeats because reading the whole thing is crazy. Anyway, if you don't want +1, but also don't want fisting, you make the userbase smaller and start culling the herd based on the ratio of increasing post-count.
Then those forums suck and are not worth following in the first place. Even if you agree 100% with a post, there's no need to share that with the world by making a content-free post. When you make your next post about the subject (with actual content in the post, mind), you can mention your agreement as a side note. Everything else is just adding noise -- and there was plenty of this noise on these forums even with the brofists.

tl;dr: if you have a good poster-base, it doesn't matter whether you have brofists or not. If you don't have a good userbase... welp. And yeah, I realize that people repeating the same points is unavoidable on large forums with tens of thousands of users, which is why I dislike them.

kazgar

Arcane
Can't believe DU did this before he posted that video of the codex troll usb, the missed brofist harvesting will rustle his jimmes for a while.

Weasel
tl;dr: if you have a good poster-base, it doesn't matter whether you have brofists or not. If you don't have a good userbase... welp.
The userbase here isn't going to suddenly change because of the removal of brofists though.

For more serious discussions/arguments on game design etc, then brofists are less useful as each post will typically advance the argument in some way, with brofists more an indicator of majority opinion. With lulzy stuff like the hilarious CF shoop thread it's quite handy that people could express appreciation without clogging up the thread with pages of 'laugh' or 'applause' emoticons.

Vibalist

Arcane
Not that I care either way (I think I brofisted one post total, and that was to show support to soneone who wasn't a codexer in the first place), but brofists on the codex have always been dumb. If people are worried about contentless +1/agree posts flooding the codex, that's more of an indication of general poster quality. There are quite a few forums/communities on the net where "+1 posts" never became a problem ...

I've never seen a public forum where people don't chime in to repeat the same thing 800 times, which is essentially +1. Brofists solve that problem, to an extent, by allowing posters to endorse whoever best sums up their own opinion -- until the thread reaches 999 pages, that is, and you do start getting endless repeats because reading the whole thing is crazy. Anyway, if you don't want +1, but also don't want fisting, you make the userbase smaller and start culling the herd based on the ratio of increasing post-count.
Then those forums suck and are not worth following in the first place. Even if you agree 100% with a post, there's no need to share that with the world by making a content-free post. When you make your next post about the subject (with actual content in the post, mind), you can mention your agreement as a side note. Everything else is just adding noise -- and there was plenty of this noise on these forums even with the brofists.

tl;dr: if you have a good poster-base, it doesn't matter whether you have brofists or not. If you don't have a good userbase... welp. And yeah, I realize that people repeating the same points is unavoidable on large forums with tens of thousands of users, which is why I dislike them.

gtfo oldfag. you clearly had no appreciation for the brofist as a next-gen, innovative feature.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I doubt they have removed brofists entirely because there is still a brofist counter.

Although anybody who leaves because of brofist removal is probably a retard anyways, so the forum will be improved by their departure.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

Knowing tat people generally agree with someone is not noise, it's important information. It's not like reddit, where you hide opinions you dislike. For example, when Sensuki posts his POE analusis, it's better for people to brofist him and give him some e-points, than to either ignore him and make him think that people don't give a shit or just send torrent of "GJ man" posts.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Then those forums suck and are not worth following in the first place.

Why do you say following as if it's a TV-show or a cult? Surely public forums are for active participation and discussion?

*Looks at postcount*

*Looks at join date*

Nevermind...

Even if you agree 100% with a post, there's no need to share that with the world by making a content-free post.

There's no need to share a completely original opinion either; it's not a question of need, but of want. If people want to participate in a discussion, they join in and say their piece. If what they wanted to say has already been said, but better, they quote the "authority" on the subject to support their views. Read some text books, it's more a byproduct of academia than mere forum behavior.

When you make your next post about the subject (with actual content in the post, mind), you can mention your agreement as a side note. Everything else is just adding noise -- and there was plenty of this noise on these forums even with the brofists.

Actual content does not mean quality content. I'd rather see 100 images that say nothing than read 100 posts that say something retarded.

"Good poster-base" is bullshit, there are only so many interesting people to go around; who cares if they follow some arbitrary ruleset of forum interaction?

Suchy

Arcane
Potato word for brewery is "BROwar". Also often used for beer, instead of "piwo". Just so you know.

DramaticPopcorn

Guys, we are forgetting the real victim here:
With this reckless change, anus_pounder just got stripped off his livelihood. How will he make his millions now that this feature's gone?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom