Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Image of ship carrying your party remains static regardless of the direction of movement.

• Major decline. Well worth at least an image for four cardinal directions.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Lurking II: A Madness (Released!) from OKLABSOFT

Classic Fantasy Role-Playing Game for Windows

Buy us a couple of pints ($10) and you could be immersing yourself in a party-based classic rpg experience lovingly crafted in the early Ultima style. No Kickstarter, third party engines, or outsourced anythings... Just pure rpg joy from the two of us to you. 40+ hours of play and a free demo for the doubtful. Journey onward!

https://oklabsoft.itch.io/lurking-ii-a-madness

FEATURES:

• Character creation with modifiable skills and attributes.
  • 'Paper Doll' style character representation.
  • Hundreds of items including items, clothing, musical instruments, and custom forged weapons and armor.
  • Dozens of magical spells and songs.
  • Drop off or pick up PCs during quest at adventurer guilds in towns.
  • Tactical turn-based combat.
  • 900 x 900 tile over-world map.
  • Expansive multi-layer underworld and structure maps.
  • Nonlinear story progression with open world exploration.
  • Hundreds of NPCs with keyword parsed conversation.
PLOT: After a short time of peace, the lands are threatened anew by a magical prion known simply as "The Madness" which has been spreading among the people and turning them to evil. Your party of adventurers sets out to discover the source of the infection and to find a remedy if they are able.

jAKbd5.png

3thKfZ.gif

RWzPph.gif

n%2BFqTP.png

xY2sFt.png

SSqLIF.png

cY7Rx2.png

8nEAOo.png

tLUikf.png

oX1EXY.png

o19xbr.png

X9zNXe.png
eyv%2BEn.png

Last edited:

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer

As a jack of most trades and master of none, I am wondering if I could get some feedback on my first attempted bit of the the score. Wondering if it is serviceable or if I would be better off spending my time trying to line up a professional. It is unfinished still but would appreciate any feedback.

EDIT: an updated link:

Last edited:

Indranys

Savant
oklabsoft
Holy shit this looks so good men! :bounce:

Please tell us about the combat.
Please say it will be like Helherron, Tom Proudfoot's games, or at the very least, Wizard's Crown.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like the music!
Is there a twitter\site we can follow?

Also, please poast more battle maps.

Last edited:

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
https://oklabsoft.wordpress.com/contact/
The first game is available here in case you haven't played it : https://oklabsoft.itch.io/lurking (we've got a thread on the Codex about the game).

Thank you, CryptRat!

Serviceable, alright.
I like the music!

Thanks! I very much want to be able to handle this aspect myself so I will keep at it.

Please tell us about the combat.
Also, please poast more battle maps.

Being a trial first effort at making (actually completing) a game after a LONG hiatus, I was guilty of not following through with focusing on great combat and rules in Lurking I. I am DETERMINED to not allow this to be the case with Lurking II and we will expend as much energy as possible into ensuring this regardless of how long it takes (btw a 'long time' to me is measured in months... not years... (ahem!)). So some games with great combat were mentioned above and the Gold Box series has been brought up to me as well on several occasions. I have been scouring what is out there for good ideas (like shields only blocking attacks from appropriate angles) that will work within the construct of the combat road we have taken. So far, here is a little info about combat:

o There are no 'battle maps' per se other than the present surroundings at the time of encounter. The game has a 'Battle Mode' that initiates turn-based movement as opposed to 'Travel Mode' in which your party members follow the current leader of the party. The leader of the party in 'Travel Mode' has been elevated, for instance, when traveling within The Depths and certain structures as the burglar skill of the leader is critical to spotting and pointing out traps to the rest of the party.

o The point at which the party enters combat mode is made interesting in the fact that the party has the option to flee a superior enemy right away without entering into combat. Some enemies, however, are armed with missile fire weapons, spells, and other special attacks that are effective from a distance so fleeing is not always a completely danger free option. While monsters fall into three speed categories, even the most agile of enemies can be outpaced while in travel mode. Thus, you can position your party to surround and enemy before beginning battle if appropriate or begin battle mode from a distance if the foe warrants (such as a banshee who has a devastating short-range scream attack).

o On the other side of the sword, as characters grow in stature, weaker enemies may quail at the site of their target and flee. Of course, if you are feeling particularly salty, you can hunt them down in travel mode and mop them up anyway.

o MANY special monster attacks have been added to spice up battle and elevate strategy. A few examples are: Giants that stomp the ground and create a tremor (cool effect) that causes all party to take light damage, giant poisonous spiders that bind characters in cords rendering them inert until another party member slashes the cord for them, vapors that create a magical darkness extinguishing even torch light that leaves characters frozen in fear at times (and which can be countered by creating a magical light (spoiler I guess)), and liches that summon lesser undead from the very earth around you... there are many more.

o While the rules are still being adjusted (and will continue to be until they are as close to perfect as possible), character skills of combat, archer, magic, music, and burglar are being highly elevated above their impacts in Lurking I. For example, increases in combat skill now allow characters to harm multiple foes by attacking an increasing number of adjacent squares per turn. Elevating burglar skill will increase the chance of a 'backstab' attack for extra damage as long as the target is not currently engaged with the attacking character. Burglar skill also allows you to pass a combat turn and slip into the shadows (depending on the light level and burglar skill)... the hidden character will be able to pounce from the shadows on their next turn and a hit from these circumstances can be quite devastating. As a final example, increasing archer skill not only allows for better accuracy, but increases chance for a hit at long range and when the target is in low light or darkness.

o The last thing I will say is that unlike Lurking I where movement and attack is available only in the four cardinal directions, Lurking II permits attack in all 8 directions and missile fire attacks may be attempted anywhere on the visible map. Most missile fire weapons are no longer 'free' as you must carry a supply of arrows or sling stones and take care when spending your last arrow. Btw, sling stones can be easily harvested from the shallow waters of any stream. However, there are now limits based on strength to just how much weight a character can equip and carry (two separate values).

*If there is something you would like to see added, let me know and I may be able to incorporate it. Thanks!

k0syak

Cipher
How about an option to swap position with each other another in combat?

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
How about an option to swap position with each other another in combat?

So another character occupies an adjacent tile and by moving the character with active turn to that occupied tile they swap positions?

k0syak

Cipher
Yeah, like that.
Some more:
- enemies that can jump over (maybe flyers) or displace (pull/push) your guys.
- 'barrier' spells for zoning - movement blocking/damaging/debuffing.
- explored a bit, found a location with a glowing orb inside - if you enter from the north the party gets stuck outside and can only leave.
- it's possible to rest during battles :)

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Yeah, like that.
Some more:
- enemies that can jump over (maybe flyers) or displace (pull/push) your guys.
- 'barrier' spells for zoning - movement blocking/damaging/debuffing.
- explored a bit, found a location with a glowing orb inside - if you enter from the north the party gets stuck outside and can only leave.
- it's possible to rest during battles :)

o Good stuff! Ogres and Cyclops will knock your characters back when they hit and Vamps can turn into bats and fly around. Could def do more with this though.

o Barrier spells is an excellent idea too... in fact I have been straining to come up with useful ideas in the bard song category so these will work nicely there.

o Thanks on the other two points as well. I have seen a couple of other portals that strand the player as well but hadn't noticed that one yet. Btw, that glowing orb is the Imprisonment Sphere that YOU put 'you-know-who' inside of. Also, battle is tiring. :oops: I will fix that one now. Almost as bad as the fact that you can currently camp right in the middle of a busy tavern. If there were a greek letter before alpha, that is what you are looking at. :)

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Looking at the pictures the graphics look pretty good, although some of the areas of solid colour shading (i.e. that ship and the rocks) look too smooth and out of place with the pixely landscape.

Also, something seems not quite right with the perspective - I had a hard time working out whether I'm viewing the game top down or from and angle. The fronts of buildings suggest I'm viewing at an angle - does the scale change when you go inside, or are they flat on the inside like U4, U5, etc...? Another example is that lava - because of the perspective I couldn't work out if the feature on the left was a lava river, a lava waterfall, or a volcano shooting lava up. Are there any videos of the game in action?

On the whole, though, I get a much better first impression than I did with the original Lurking. Will watch with interest.

BTW, please come up with a more interesting plot. People are being turned EVIL!!!!! Mwahhaha! It doesn't exactly inspire me.

V_K

Arcane
I think the perspective is supposed to be kinda like Magic Candle 1:
mcandle_041.png

Haven't downloaded the tech demo, but given that the battles take place on the main map, it's absolutely imperative that the game has different formations. Not to mention that just looking at 5 guys following each other in a straight line feels a bit weird.
Also, I would reconsider the party leader mechanics and instead just use the highest skill in the party. Here's why: if there's a party leader, you'd want to make him specialize in all the adventuring skills to minimize swapping, but because he's leading the party, he'll always start the battle closest to the enemy, and thus will have to be a tank, making for some counterintuitive build decisions.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Looking at the pictures the graphics look pretty good, although some of the areas of solid colour shading (i.e. that ship and the rocks) look too smooth and out of place with the pixely landscape.

Also, something seems not quite right with the perspective - I had a hard time working out whether I'm viewing the game top down or from and angle. The fronts of buildings suggest I'm viewing at an angle - does the scale change when you go inside, or are they flat on the inside like U4, U5, etc...? Another example is that lava - because of the perspective I couldn't work out if the feature on the left was a lava river, a lava waterfall, or a volcano shooting lava up. Are there any videos of the game in action?

On the whole, though, I get a much better first impression than I did with the original Lurking. Will watch with interest.

BTW, please come up with a more interesting plot. People are being turned EVIL!!!!! Mwahhaha! It doesn't exactly inspire me.

Thank you for the comments.

o The rocks/mountains/cliff faces continue to be the bane of my art efforts and have been from the start. I will keep working on it and thanks for the eye.

o The perspective I was going for is indeed similar to the one V_K has shown here with MC. There are definitely some perspective issues in spots and I will do my best to fix that up as much as possible but in the end I expect there will still be times when you have to forgive some discontinuity. Hopefully it will not interfere too much with the experience. It is interesting that I came to the same conclusion as you when I reviewed the shot of the lava (before you pointed it out) but aside from me trying to rework that it does make at least better visual sense when viewed in game with movement (if that makes sense).

o Thanks for tracking progress, we would like to bring as many gamers on board as possible and build some interest here. I make games because I enjoy it but the real satisfaction in the process comes from hearing that someone enjoyed playing it.

o As far as plots go, for both Lurking I and Lurking II the depth and detail of the plot are meant to be revealed as the game is played and progresses. Obviously this creates a dilemma as far as what and how much to reveal in the initial description. My brother was on board with my initial ideas and we discussed the major aspects but after that... what he is doing while staring at two screens with massive spreadsheets of NPC conversations and trying to coordinate what 500 people in different locations say in a cohesive way that ends up being an involving story are (thank goodness for me) totally in his hands because I could never do it. You make a great point that I need to find a way to reveal what I can in a more engaging way, so thanks.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Haven't downloaded the tech demo, but given that the battles take place on the main map, it's absolutely imperative that the game has different formations. Not to mention that just looking at 5 guys following each other in a straight line feels a bit weird.
Also, I would reconsider the party leader mechanics and instead just use the highest skill in the party. Here's why: if there's a party leader, you'd want to make him specialize in all the adventuring skills to minimize swapping, but because he's leading the party, he'll always start the battle closest to the enemy, and thus will have to be a tank, making for some counterintuitive build decisions.

Thanks, V_K. We will have to discuss this further down the road and perhaps when we have a better demo available for you to check out. I think that I understand what you are getting at but I also think that the way things currently work may change your opinion or at least alleviate your concern about these aspects. For instance, I would say that really any formation is possible (not just set ones) when heading into battle based on when you enter battle mode and how you organize as the enemy approaches. This mechanic affects your thoughts on the party leader concerns too. If we find this is not the case once you have tried it then I will definitely work out the formations and probably need some guidance on just how that should work.

Thanks!

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
o Just did some work on mon AI to back out of or sidestep situations where 3 or more party members are threatening. Needs a bit of work but def seems to make combat more challenging.

o Little brother reported to me over the weekend that convos are about 25% done.

Here is where I would love some input: I set up battle turn order based on mon speed (slow / med / fast) and character agility (1-10) such that the fastest get a turn every round, med get a turn every other round, and slow get a turn every third round. Not really working. I liked the idea of faster getting multiple turns per round but it just seems awkward the way the turn jumps around and a party of five can just beat the crap out of a single slow monster like a giant. I am thinking of assigning mons an agility of 1-10 (same as chars) and just running through the order from fastest to slowest but each gets a turn in battle each round. I could also do this but give multiple turns in a row for faster chars and mons. At a bit of a loss as to what might work best.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
This looks like a pretty cool project, I'm truly impressed by it and can see a future for it. Would you be open to having guest composers, like me and Excommunicator contributing music?

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
This looks like a pretty cool project, I'm truly impressed by it and can see a future for it. Would you be open to having guest composers, like me and Excommunicator contributing music?

Hey! Thanks for the kind words and offer. My overly complex answer is that I really enjoy (trying to) compose the music for the game (was working on a tune when I saw your post) and I have a close friend and former band mate who is also working on some pieces for the project. That being said, with just my brother and I working on this otherwise it does tend to become a bit overwhelming at times so I would never want to close the door on such an offer. Perhaps down the road as things progress I will get a better idea as to needs and once I have a decent demo you guys could have a look and see if it inspires you to anything. In the meantime if you already have a piece (or more) that you feel might fit in based on genre we would love to have a listen. If so, you could hook us up with it at oklab.software@gmail.com

Thanks again! :salute:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Is this any better?

It took me a couple of attempts to spot the difference, scrolling up and down, but yes, it does look better. I still think that there's a clash between the black background of the surface tiles and the solid colour (with dithering) of the rocks. It might look better if the rocks were more sketches on a black background rather than solid. I'm no artist so that's just an impression. Perhaps the look I'm thinking of is more influenced by Ultima 5 and the snowcapped peaks rather than Magic Candle, and I'm not sure how you'd go about designing it at the visual scale Lurking is using.

I think you have to be very careful about adding too much detail, since what's on screen is an abstraction of the world, both in detail and in scale. If you start to make it too realistic-looking then the disparities of scale between (for example) the ship and the characters become impossible to ignore. Most of the rest of the tiles look good, but if those rocks are meant to be mountains then that immediately destroys the sense of scale. If they're meant to just be rocks, then I think they look too much like mountains and would look better as a sketch, like the grass.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Ok. There have been approximately 700 downloads of Lurking I: Immortui. Four players have reported victory to us. I issue the following challenge. The next 6 to complete the game and report back to us will be offered a free download of Lurking II: A Madness upon release and have the option to be a beta tester if they so desire.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
It took me a couple of attempts to spot the difference, scrolling up and down, but yes, it does look better. I still think that there's a clash between the black background of the surface tiles and the solid colour (with dithering) of the rocks. It might look better if the rocks were more sketches on a black background rather than solid. I'm no artist so that's just an impression. Perhaps the look I'm thinking of is more influenced by Ultima 5 and the snowcapped peaks rather than Magic Candle, and I'm not sure how you'd go about designing it at the visual scale Lurking is using.

I think you have to be very careful about adding too much detail, since what's on screen is an abstraction of the world, both in detail and in scale. If you start to make it too realistic-looking then the disparities of scale between (for example) the ship and the characters become impossible to ignore. Most of the rest of the tiles look good, but if those rocks are meant to be mountains then that immediately destroys the sense of scale. If they're meant to just be rocks, then I think they look too much like mountains and would look better as a sketch, like the grass.

Good advice. Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom