Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Lurking - Inspired by Ultima 3 (released)

k0syak

Cipher
Ok, here's the DATA folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyzdwx1na5yqtqj/Data.7z?dl=0

Also, shinier maps! :)
295spc7.jpg

20qnvt.jpg

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
I want to say that I am embarrassed about these bugs regardless of significance. When we elected to remove the beta tag on the game we had had about 100 downloads and no one had reported any issues so I am sorry. I believe I have fixed everything except for Tempeste in Krow whom I asked alt.brother to look into for me since that is his domain (making a cool story and data and conversations to go with my crappy coding). I will need to post a full update with data files but here is the link for the new executable. If at all possible, K0syak, please let me know the outcome of the Eternal Rest song in battle with regard to turn skipping and the reference to the character that "continues to play...". The 'cold' SPOILER issue should be fixed now as it worked in my testing. If you already spent your item I don't want you to have to go back for more: open the Quest data file associated with your quest number using notepad. Scroll to the end and consider the last item in the file as #1. Count back to data field #24... it probably says '0' so change it to '1', save, and you should be good to go. Thank you for everything and I really hope you are enjoying playing.

k0syak

Cipher
I want to say that I am embarrassed about these bugs regardless of significance. When we elected to remove the beta tag on the game we had had about 100 downloads and no one had reported any issues so I am sorry. I believe I have fixed everything except for Tempeste in Krow whom I asked alt.brother to look into for me since that is his domain (making a cool story and data and conversations to go with my crappy coding). I will need to post a full update with data files but here is the link for the new executable. If at all possible, K0syak, please let me know the outcome of the Eternal Rest song in battle with regard to turn skipping and the reference to the character that "continues to play...". The 'cold' SPOILER issue should be fixed now as it worked in my testing. If you already spent your item I don't want you to have to go back for more: open the Quest data file associated with your quest number using notepad. Scroll to the end and consider the last item in the file as #1. Count back to data field #24... it probably says '0' so change it to '1', save, and you should be good to go. Thank you for everything and I really hope you are enjoying playing.

Compared to the state most games get released in (including major titles), Lurking is almost bug-free and also actually good, so don't sweat it too much :)
Noticed another typo: "Hostem Occidere" in description and "Nostem Occidere" when casting.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Compared to the state most games get released in (including major titles), Lurking is almost bug-free and also actually good, so don't sweat it too much
Thanks! Very much appreciate that. As soon as I can get a lock on that NPC I will post the new build on itch. Also included, because I couldn't help myself, will be a change to the game view (because I have come to deplore those windows buttons) as well as an adjustment that will allow the party to keep moving when you hold down an arrow key. Thanks for your patience! :)

k0syak

Cipher
Been playing the latest version (1.1.1), gonna assault Spiritmire tommorow, so probably quite close to the end.

Bugs/issues:
- Songs work better now (both issues resolved).
- ICE9 working properly (ice not disappearing).
- Holding down an arrow key doesn't work.
- Typo: William in the Gaels says "konwledge".
- 2 Spell teachers in Degdamark (eagle vision and raise dead) - could you maybe recheck these, I think they teach each other's spells.
- Stat increases: how do they work? there's the stat value and a (green) modifier. If I have 8+2(from item), I can remove the item, use the tome/pool and re-equip, but some modifiers are not related to items, so a character with 8+2 can't raise the stat any further.
- How are you supposed to learn that Maxmillian (Borealis lord) has the 3rd part of the scroll? Don't remember any NPC mentioning it, the only clue is the translator being in the same city.

Also, cartography skill slowly improving :)
30s9fyo.jpg

from this

a1rfyq.jpg

Last edited:

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Bugs/issues:

You are indeed getting close to the end! I have everything almost patched up and ready to post a version update. Thanks again for finding these bugs. It took a LONG time to unravel the spell teacher mystery but I believe I have it locked down (it also required a couple of convo tweaks). One thing I don't understand is the arrow key issue. It works on my system and I even downloaded the package from itch and tried it (and it worked) so that is a mystery. You are definitely playing v1.1.1, right? Wouldn't be the first time I have run into system specific anomalies with this. Can anyone else confirm that the 'hold down the arrow keys' in v1.1.1 does/does not work on their system? Thanks!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Likely. Several versions were released since I've played the game, but you couldn't then.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
This is one of the most important threads on the Codex in recent years. Don't know how I missed it, but it gives me new hope, since after I started to check other threads apart from those regarding FROM Software games I got the impression that the majority of current posters are ultra-right wing schoolboys who can't forget about their ideology and talk about games.

Now, just throwing this in as a probably very stupid idea for the future: it's nice that people are graphing maps, but maybe a 'Game Link' to the Grid Cartographer (http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/?aim=about ) could be provided? It could give the game(s) more visibility. But I don't know if GC isn't limited to DOS (or just blobbers).

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Uh, sorry, I'm new to this: you cannot move diagonally, right? Or is it a WINE thing?

This is true. A few weeks ago I spent a bunch of time adding diagonal movement and attack... But the changes introduced a wealth of new bugs and I put it aside in favor of forging ahead on the crafting of L2. Since then I went back in the tree to use a stable version to make the changes and fixes that have been being discussed here. I am not opposed to putting it back on the docket but always on my mind is a reissue of L1 using the L2 engine anyway so I am torn. Monsters in L1 already have the ability to move and attack on angles like in U3 but a flag has it turned off currently because after all it was not fair. :)

V_K

Arcane
I can't get the latest version to run at all - mouse pointer turns into an hourglass, and cpu goes into overheat, and that's all it does until i kill the process. The old exe (1.0.3) works like charm.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
I can't get the latest version to run at all - mouse pointer turns into an hourglass, and cpu goes into overheat, and that's all it does until i kill the process. The old exe (1.0.3) works like charm.

Hmm. That is disheartening. Thanks for letting me know though. Just so I am clear that was your result with 1.1.2?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
This is one of the most important threads on the Codex in recent years. Don't know how I missed it, but it gives me new hope, since after I started to check other threads apart from those regarding FROM Software games I got the impression that the majority of current posters are ultra-right wing schoolboys who can't forget about their ideology and talk about games.

Now, just throwing this in as a probably very stupid idea for the future: it's nice that people are graphing maps, but maybe a 'Game Link' to the Grid Cartographer (http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/?aim=about ) could be provided? It could give the game(s) more visibility. But I don't know if GC isn't limited to DOS (or just blobbers).

Definitely not just blobbers, I got Wasteland worldmap working, so as long as the game has some sort of step-mode and coordinates, you could use grid cartographer. As for non-dos, HA mentioned that he approached some PSX emulator guys some time ago, so I think he probably would be open to other stuff besides dosbox

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer

OK, thanks. Anyone else who is able to report their experience with this build would be much appreciated. I have one no-go at all for v1.1.2 and one failure of 'hold-down-arrow-key' for v1.1.1

Last edited:

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Saavik: It's time for total truth between us. This code is not what you intended or hoped for, is it?
Oklabsoft: Not exactly.
Saavik: Why?
Oklabsoft: I used protomatter in the Lurking matrix.
Saavik: Protomatter, an unstable substance which every ethical programmer has denounced as dangerously unpredictable.
Oklabsoft: But it was the only way to solve certain problems. Only my brother knew nothing about it.
Saavik: So like your father, you changed the rules.
Oklabsoft: If I hadn't, it might have been years or never.
Saavik: How many have paid the price for your impatience? How many have died? How much damage have you done? And what is yet to come?

k0syak

Cipher
Aaaaaaand the vile necromancer is vanquished! :)
Finished in v1.1.2, holding down movement finally works.

Some questions about what I missed, any help, oklabsoft :
- Didn't use the gilded rope.
- Didn't find Lord British (I know he's in the mountains near the Old Man, but couldn't find a way to reach his hut).
- Didn't enter tower in the water just south of Urth.
- Didn't use silver skull anywhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom