Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

M.U.G.E.N. / BOR / Other homebrew titles

Yeah, most of you turned heads with disgust that's justified opinion for most of MUGEN / Beets of Rage 'games' are broken mess but the purpose of this thread is to point out ones that are decent. Back in 2000 there was a hunger for Dragon Ball games due to anime popularity in Poland so DBMugen was the shit, especially for all SNES/Genesis/PSX/Saturn fighting games sucked ass.

Sadly, best MUGEN gaem has been cancelled years ago and here's what we missed:

This was HUGE and made a lot of followers such as Mortal Kombat Chaotic, a large database of cheap ass palette-swaps of cyborgs and ninjas like Human Sektor, Cyber Scorpion, Hydro, Inferno, Acid and other bullshit.

There is also a faithfull recreation of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix which is originally a PS360 exlusive.

No Hyper Dragon Ball Z?

Wow, the fact that made all of these sprites and animations from the scratch is pretty impressive.

Moar gut stuff, there are lots of good Battletoads BOR games in veins of official Battletoads Arcade '94 like...

Then, Resident Evil beat'em ups:

Ok, Mugen version of games are generally messy but how about turning complete shit into something playable? Original Street Fighter was fucking horrible (arcade one, home ports were even worse), special moves were executed randomly even if player put correct combinatios and there were only 2 characters to choose. In this remake controls are improved, full roster is playable and there are even super combos and mirror matches! Definately not a must-have but a nice gaem for 1 or 2 playthroughs.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Good old MUGEN. Online is still not a possibility after all these years?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
There are a lot of nice looking KoF and CvS clones out there for MUGEN. Was always a shame that multiplayer never really was an option. Never heard of Ikemen or Parsec though.

How the fuck does this thing exist since '99?

I discovered Mugen in early 2001. All Dragon Ball pre-PS2 fighting games were garbage except for Hyper Dimension which was average and now someone ripped the sprites out of them all and released something enjoyabale. Oh, and 2vs2 combat - it was a mess but FUN mess.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There is also a faithfull recreation of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix which is originally a PS360 exlusive.

Best street fighter game I've ever played. Played it for like 4 years or more. Deejay, Bison, and Balrog where the fighters I could play best with. If you sucked, I'd pick Zangief or T. Hawk and beat you with the worst ones I can find.

Anyways, this game also has the best rendition of Balrog's theme. I usually hate remixes, but this is one that actually is better than the original.

Yeah, most of you turned heads with disgust that's justified opinion for most of MUGEN / Beets of Rage 'games' are broken mess but the purpose of this thread is to point out ones that are decent.[/MEDIA]

That it's the main appeal of MUGEN imo, if i wanted a polished and balanced fighting game i would just play a game made by "serious" devs. However, MUGEN fan games do what gaming devs can't do, that is making a huge clusterfuck with little to no balance and weird characters. Just pick a character and have fun (if the game doens't crashes).

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I PLAY THE SHIT OUT OF THESE

THREE NON MUGEN TO START

CLASSIC HORROR FIGHTER TERRORDROME

MY LITTLE PONY LOLOLOLLOL

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS FUNALLY DONG DONG NEVER DIE

YOU MUST PLAY THIS

Screenshot_82.png

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There are a lot of nice looking KoF and CvS clones out there for MUGEN. Was always a shame that multiplayer never really was an option. Never heard of Ikemen or Parsec though.
Ikemen is new to me but Parsec has become a very vogue piece of software for fighting game players.

What it essentially is, is a sort of streaming service. I don't know the tech behind it but essentially it was built for low latency and performance in mind, allowing people to play with each other using one computer. This method, as odd as it sounds, is preferable to playing online with games that have it: such as Marvel vs Capcom 3 or many ArcSys fighting games.

I've seen people play weird shit with Parsec like Mario Party using a Dolphin emulator, so I'd say Mugen games would be fine.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
So people are still making MUGEN games even though the developers of MUGEN disappeared from the face of the Earth years ago. That's pretty amazing. I used to play a lot of DBZ mugen but I could never find a well thought out build. It was always a mash of varying quality of characters and stages. Still fun though.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS THE ZVITOR SHIT IS AWESOME

BEEN PLAYING HIS MARVEL GAIMES FOUR YEARS WITH MY KIDS

BROS THE ZVITOR SHIT IS AWESOME

BEEN PLAYING HIS MARVEL GAIMES FOUR YEARS WITH MY KIDS

I've played a bit of his games, pretty kickass. I'm waiting for the next version to hit to start a playthrough.

I've wanting to play them on TV so I could call my bros and we could have a great time, but my TV is 4K and my laptop is not up to muster. I did hear from Zvitor recently that you can run his games on an TVbox. So when I get a job, I'm buying one.

Can you play with more than 2 players?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom