Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mac Walters leaves Bioware

Wunderbar

Arcane
While Walters is best known for his work on Mass Effect, he most recently had been working as production director on the upcoming Dragon Age Dreadwolf, BioWare's next big release and the long-awaited follow-up to 2014's Inquisition.
lol, DA4 loses another director.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Casey Hudson and him are responsible for the ME3 endings mess.
agxjHUle52FcqYMgLI9szG8ERHuLMKSfwrSSXtknrGs.jpg

#neverforget

Incognito/STK

Educated
Yet another senior employee has left BioWare in the middle of Dragon Age 4's development

"Things continue to change, over at BioWare. Following major departures that have been impacting the development of the upcoming Dragon Age: Dreadwolf, yet another employee has left the company. Mac Walters, known for his writing work across the first three Mass Effect games, and the current creative director over Dragon Age: Dreadwolf, is departing BioWare after being there for nearly two decades. This is the second creative director to leave the project, after former BioWare employee Matt Goldman parted ways with the company at the end of 2021. The game itself has had a tumultuous development cycle, with the entire game being reworked from the start in 2018, three years after its initial announcement, while over half a dozen veteran Mass Effect and Dragon Age writers and staff have left the company in the middle of Dragon Age: Dreadwolf's development."

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Well the ending was something a 6-7 year old would come up with for a native tongue essay. That paper looks and reads worse than a 1st or 2nd grader essay so checks out.
In a sane world, after a day of "brainstorming" at the office, if that's the result, you shred that shit before leaving the building. The fact that that paper ever saw the light of day means they were proud of it. I bet it was posted on the fridge in the staff kitchen. Clown shoes for clown world.

Well the ending was something a 6-7 year old would come up with for a native tongue essay. That paper looks and reads worse than a 1st or 2nd grader essay so checks out.
In a sane world, after a day of "brainstorming" at the office, if that's the result, you shred that shit before leaving the building. The fact that that paper ever saw the light of day means they were proud of it. I bet it was posted on the fridge in the staff kitchen. Clown shoes for clown world.
Maybe it's the result of working methods like SCRUM and shit. Software development has a ton of templates for documents but game development has way lower standards and to be fair I don't think agile methodologies are fit for that sort of things.
On the other hand, he was a manager. Managers don't get their hands in the mess, and that's a thing in any career you can find.

Also, if this game fails it's going to look really ugly for Bioware. It's not like Andromeda. Everything in Inquisition was leading to this game.

Years ago I said Dragon Age 4 was the only thing Bioware could make that had any possibility of interesting me. The more I hear about it, the less interest I have. It's like an anti-marketing campaign.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
By this point, the Dragon Age franchise is so saturated with mediocrity I can't see how anyone is still interested. You can only ride on the coattails of the first game for so long.

1675047570531.png

DemonKing

Arcane
By this point, the Dragon Age franchise is so saturated with mediocrity I can't see how anyone is still interested. You can only ride on the coattails of the first game for so long.

View attachment 32924
EA took over just before the launch of the original, which was a decent game even if it didn't stray far from the patented Bio template established in KotoR and Jade Empire.

DA2 was a mess pushed out the door half-baked and 3 was a single player game that played like a MMPORPG.

I have no optimism that DA4 will be worth playing.

View attachment 32924
EA took over just before the launch of the original, which was a decent game even if it didn't stray far from the patented Bio template established in KotoR and Jade Empire.

DA2 was a mess pushed out the door half-baked and 3 was a single player game that played like a MMPORPG.

I have no optimism that DA4 will be worth playing.
All of Bioware's failures should be blamed on them, not EA. They've suffered the least ammount of pressure from EA in comparison to all of the other studios they've bought, I'd say.

All of Bioware's failures should be blamed on them, not EA.
Old Bioware would never have released DA2 in the shocking state it came out in, or used the Frostbite engine for DA3.
The bit about the engine is probably right, but Bioware did everything they wanted during DA2's development. They did not regret a single thing, and in fact, they were behind the changes they made from Origins, and I think Gaider even said they wanted to change even more.

However, DAI's design is just ass. The engine isn't the problem when the game made on it isn't good.

One stain of diarrhoea gives way for another stain of diarrhoea. At no point in Bioware's history has it's writing ever being good. Or adequate. Or tolerable. It's always been puerile dogshit. Always. Except maybe for a brief moment in Mass Effect 1 where I'll reluctantly concede it was vaguely tolerable as generic space opera. And I resent even tolerating that. I feel conceding anything to Bioware strips part of my soul.

DemonKing

Arcane
Bioware did everything they wanted during DA2's development. They did not regret a single thing, and in fact, they were behind the changes they made from Origins, and I think Gaider even said they wanted to change even more.
So Bioware wanted to release a buggy mess and cut corners and use the same assets over and over again? You really believe EA didn't force them to release a substandard product before it was ready?
The engine isn't the problem when the game made on it isn't good.
They did lose a lot of time though trying to come to terms with the engine which wasn't adequately supported and resented having it enforced on them.
One stain of diarrhoea gives way for another stain of diarrhoea. At no point in Bioware's history has it's writing ever being good. Or adequate. Or tolerable. It's always been puerile dogshit. Always.
BG1&2, KoToR, Jade Empire, DA and the original ME games had generally adequate and tolerable writing (with some exceptions, of course). It's when you get to DA2 and you get cringe dialog like "I want to be a dragon." that the wheels really fell off.

So Bioware wanted to release a buggy mess and cut corners and use the same assets over and over again? You really believe EA didn't force them to release a substandard product before it was ready?
All signs point to yes. They did all the mistakes they chose to by themselves. Did you know that the decision to release DA2 as a stand alone game instead of the expansion it was meant to be was made by Bioware themselves? It all went downhill from there.

DemonKing

Arcane
BG1&2, KoToR, Jade Empire, DA and the original ME games had generally adequate and tolerable writing (with some exceptions, of course). It's when you get to DA2 and you get cringe dialog like "I want to be a dragon." that the wheels really fell off.
No. The writing was objectively shit.
So shitty that you managed to play them all though I guess?

Or are you saying that something you never played was shit?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All signs point to yes. They did all the mistakes they chose to by themselves. Did you know that the decision to release DA2 as a stand alone game instead of the expansion it was meant to be was made by Bioware themselves? It all went downhill from there.
Any studio would happily continue working on a game if the money is there. The money wasn't there. In the past, Bioware had the leverage to delay things until they were ready, but their luck on that ran out (which is why they had to sell to EA in the first place).

None

Scholar
Didn't they just declare the game to be in alpha status a few months ago? I wonder if his departure is going to be a setback or he jumped ship once he felt it was able to be completed without him.

We'll probably hear something from Mark Darrah about this soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom