Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Mage's Initiation - A Classic Sierra-style Adventure/RPG

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by FeelTheRads, Feb 19, 2013.

1. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    That's a lot of words for an adventure game, even for a QFG-like. For instance, this (seemingly overinclusive) text dump from QFGIV comes out to ~188k words. (Going off the same site, QFG 3 is ~122k, QFG2 is ~92k, and QFG1EGA is ~53k.) Dunno how much was in Heroine's Quest.

^ Top  
  2. Blackthorne Infamous Quests Patron Developer

Blackthorne
    Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Wow, QFI was pretty big and I only get a count of like 120k or so. (The TRS file is 525 pages) Seems ambitious to say the least! Well, guess we'll keep waiting.

Bt

^ Top  
  3. Lambonius Infamous Quests Developer

Lambonius
    The cynic in me suspects that they may have gone a bit masturbatory in the world-building on this one...

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-classic-sierra-style-adventure/posts/2119058

Good lord 15 months on voice acting

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    FUCKING voice acting and FUCKING lip-syncing. Maybe 1 in 20 games gets the former right and the latter must be the most mindnumbingly boring work ever conceived by man.

Now watch me click and skip every voiced line because I can read 50 times faster than what it takes me to listen to it.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Blackthorne Infamous Quests Patron Developer

Blackthorne
    Yeah, voice acting in games is tough, especially indie games. I enjoy it and I enjoy having it in my games, but I don't like to waste too much time on it. You're never going to please everyone, no matter how hard you try, and as an indie game/small budget, you're never going to get amazing talent. You do the best you can, have an option for the player to turn it off and that's it. Also, fuck lipsynch, really. Only a small amount of people give a shit, and they're likely the same people that would complain about talent, so who cares. Animate them saying cantaloupe rhubarb all the time and it usually works just fine. Otherwise, it's a massive time sink for like, no payout.

Bt

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Voice acting is cool when done right... but the coolness factor only lasts for about an hour, after that I will routinely skip the voice actors because I read much faster and don't like waiting for the voice clip to finish.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Sizzle Arcane

Sizzle
    When great dialogue is combined with great VA - like Kreia - you want to listen to all of it, no matter how fast you read.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Adventure game voice acting peaked with John Rhys-Davies as the narrator of Quest for Glory IV.

Yeah, but being ludicrous cheesy-sleaze is part of the charm of that series. Also, those are real actors and actresses, for the most part... of the regional community theater variety, at any rate.

Generally speaking, when adventure games produced by indie studios these days include voice acting, it typically sounds like they rounded up all the dweebs from the local community college anime club and paid them in Yu-Gi-Oh! CCG booster packs.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    :necro:

It's... coming? In Early 2019?:

• Brofist x 4
    • Excited! x 3
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Old x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    I still can't believe they never changed the name D'arc. Somewhere between Fryhtans in Seven Kingdoms and D'Compose from Inhumanoids. :/

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    If you want your kid's nickname to instantly become "Dork" in school (or wizard training, for that matter), name him D'arc.

^ Top  
  13. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    The cover art seems more 2012 than 2018.
    [​IMG]

QFI seems more ironically self aware ...
    [​IMG]

[EDIT:

Interestingly, they've removed her from the website, so perhaps it's just a matter of bringing Steam up to speed.

[​IMG]

• decline decline x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    MRY They've come a long way:

Many years back I occasionally posted on the Himalaya forums, and I distinctly remember an undercurrent of hurt feelings that basically no one cared about Al Emmo and that it was a massive flop.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Well, they've given her the Nikolai Yezhov, so maybe they are going to redo the assets.

^ Top  
  16. Blackthorne Infamous Quests Patron Developer

Blackthorne
    Haha, yeah, QFI's cover and design was a total nod to Frazetta and Vallejo art. It was definitely more tongue in cheek and paying homage to that kind of fantasy style. So funny that 2012 vs 2018 is just boob removal....

Bt

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Coming early 2019: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-classic-sierra-style-adventure/posts/2306816

Six years of development, wtf

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  18. jfrisby Arbiter Patron

jfrisby
    :argh::argh:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    If you followed their previous efforts to make a similar sort of game (QFG2 remake) the timeline isn't really all that surprising, even with a bit of funding. That said I do expect the game to be good based on their track record.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Blackthorne Infamous Quests Patron Developer

Blackthorne
    Yeah, well, at this point, I'm kinda glad it took so long, because it'll be nice to have another QFG-like game to play. If this, QFI and Hero-U all came out at the same time, we'd all just be sitting around wishing there was more, I'm sure.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Lambonius Infamous Quests Developer

Lambonius
    Wait, wait, wait. If Richard Cobbett is working on this game, then who the hell is supposed to write the obnoxiously pedantic criticism of it when it finally comes out?

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Criticism? Richard has called Dave the greatest video game writer of our generation.

^ Top  
  23. Lambonius Infamous Quests Developer

Lambonius
    That may well be, but on the whole, I'd say that Cobbett comes in second only to Johnny Walker in the contest for most obnoxious Rock Paper Shotgun critics. But hey, one man's opinion. ;)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Coming January 30th.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres..._coming_Jan_30_new_trailer__preview_build.php

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    • incline incline x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    But of what year?

:philosoraptor:

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.