Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic Island : The Secret of Stones - Amiga CD32

neilsouth

Augur
I was looking through the list of amiga cd32 games comparing them to the floppy/hard drive versions and i came across this. EoB style rpg that i've not seen before , only the cd32 version was ever ported to english.

http://hol.abime.net/5089/miscshot

5089_misc1.jpg

English board discussion
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=2 ... gic+island

From the views of the people that have played it , i'ts actually pretty good. But getting hold of it isn't so easy :p
Classical dungeon RPG with step-by-step movement from Czech Arda Team. You are playing the son of an old warrior, who gave you a letter for his friend. There starts a long journey, you found this old friend dead and you discover the history of this friendship. The whole game is most similar to Ishar series – outdoor locations, realtime combat and pretty graphics. Unfortunately this game has some minor problems with technical issues – don't even try run this game on Amiga with turbocard. On other hand there is lot of original things like alchemist receipts and growing up your characters. For example – there is more than twenty ingredients like mushrooms, fern, witches hair or dry dog turd, which you can mix up, even in original manual there aren't all combinations to learn. Your party has four people and each of them has few statistics and skills. If you gain enough experiences to level up, you can choose from skills or attributes. This way you can learn how to use magic even with a fighter.

Mortmal

Arcane
Absolutely, i never heard of that game too, probably cause by then a CD32 was not worth buying when you had the A500 , any links for those files ?
I am browsing forums a bit and it dont seem compatible with winuAE .Also the author doesnt even want to release it...I really dont understand why, its nowhere to be found on sale, no one can play it, it just rot there.

neilsouth

Augur
Mortmal said:
Absolutely, i never heard of that game too, probably cause by then a CD32 was not worth buying when you had the A500 , any links for those files ?
I am browsing forums a bit and it dont seem compatible with winuAE .Also the author doesnt even want to release it...I really dont understand why, its nowhere to be found on sale, no one can play it, it just rot there.

From further reading throughout different sites , the CD32 version was the most compatible and worked with newer versions of winuae. It was the adf version that had problems and that apparantly isn't english whereas the CD32 is!

Sigh , if anyone has the game well you know... :M

mariog

Educated
I downloaded it from here some time ago. Judging by the screenshots, it *should* be in english, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet so I don't really know.

neilsouth

Augur
mariog said:
I downloaded it from here some time ago. Judging by the screenshots, it *should* be in english, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet so I don't really know.

Tried that , can't download the CD32 version anymore :(

mariog

Educated
neilsouth said:
mariog said:

Tried that , can't download the CD32 version anymore :(

Sure you can, you just have to register.

neilsouth

Augur
Got a spare user/pass? , it's all in a strange language :p

Also uploading it somewhere else would be nice :salute:

Mortmal

Arcane
neilsouth said:
Got a spare user/pass? , it's all in a strange language :p

Also uploading it somewhere else would be nice :salute:

well being a genius i managed to understand the weird barbaric language, wich is german and proceeded to register and download , however the game itself is in czech and i dont feell like learning another language just for a rpg. Thats not the only isssue, the game speed is far too high.

neilsouth

Augur
Ahh it's in czech which means to me that it isn't the true CD32 version as thats in english and working correctly so i've read lol.. Thanks though :)

mariog

Educated
neilsouth said:
Ahh it's in czech which means to me that it isn't the true CD32 version as thats in english and working correctly so i've read lol.. Thanks though :)

The text is stored (inside the ISO) in the .txt files in the folder (something)-texty, so a translation may be doable if someone would be willing to. Doesn't look like the game is that good anyway, I played a bit yesterday (despite not knowing a single word of czech) and I found it quite primitive.

By the way, I also found two other very obscure RPGs that I had never heard of before:

- The first one is Lost Legends: The Prophet, here on Abime's Hall Of Light, a first person RPG with 90-degree movements (and it came out in 1997!) - the author says it has more than 200,000 locations, which seems a bit preposterous to me, considering that it'd be almost as big as Daggerfall, yet it does look interesting, has a guild system and Daggerfall-style leveless improvement. Anyone tried it? Is it any good?

- The second one is Return of the Medusa, apparently an hybrid between a strategy game of some kind and a FPRPG, the review I read about it on amr.abime.net makes it sound quite interesting.

RuThaN

Novice
I played it to 2/3 with WinUAE and CD32 version.. here some puzzles hell is starting.

BTW Cd32 has interface in English, A1200 version has if im not wrong intro in english.. Game has very few text, so you can play it with Google translate, its same way as we played english games back in time.. with paper ditionary book.

Otherwise game has so few text, that is possible translate it quickly.. if someone is able to extract original czech text.. and import it back as english, translation itself would took 1 day..

RuThaN

Novice
Completed, as i wrote last 1/3 is puzzle hell.. not particularly funny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom