Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic & Mercenaries: The Curse of Eternal Darkness

Codex Year of the Donut
I doubt it, it's no push button and you get automatically what you want,
it's pretty close
image.png

:smug:

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Some of the UI is undergoing some modifications. I'll swing back around to it.

In fact, here's where I need opinions; because I am working on changing some things around and improving graphics across the board. Just don't know if I'm going in the right direction.

For example, the main layout of the game. Initially I wanted it to resemble the Gold-Box games, and it had this familiar layout that resembles those games very closely:

2021-02.png

But, I've been revamping it to have a centered viewport, character portraits, a different layout, etc. Honestly don't know if this would be considered better or worse...

2022-04.png

Thoughts?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The centered approach, at least for me, works better when you have a very large view of the dungeon with the character faces and their data optimized to take as little space as possible. Since you don't really have that here, the first approach looks better to me.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really prefer the one on the top, with the viewport to the corner rather than the centre.

negator2vc

Scholar
The centered viewport works better for me.
Is there a reason you have the character panels this big? The information inside them could easily being shown for ex. in a column or with smaller font size.
I like better the Wizardry 7 viewport style with smaller character panels and a little larger viewport.
778223-wizardry-crusaders-of-the-dark-savant-dos-screenshot-fountains.png

The difference is viewport sizes is small enough not to require for ex. larger sprites if that's one the reasons of the small viewport.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I prefer the centered one which IMO will work better with modern big monitors, though not a big deal.

I do agree with negator2vc about the character panels being too large though. Also i like the character list more than the panels, but i'm not sure how it'd work with a centered setup.

Though i think the bigger issue is how this will work with non-16:9 aspect ratios (both narrower, like 5:4, 4:3, 16:10, etc and larger like 21:9 or 23:9) as well as multimonitor setups.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, I like the centered viewpoint as well. Compass and coordinates minimized is fine. The menu options are all in the left snd smaller. Portraits and data are decent sized with main view BAM in center with plenty of descriptive text down in the bottom. That looks ACE to me imho. Maybe area name, coordinates, and time should be that red color from the top picture to make them POP more.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Some of the UI is undergoing some modifications. I'll swing back around to it.

In fact, here's where I need opinions; because I am working on changing some things around and improving graphics across the board. Just don't know if I'm going in the right direction.

For example, the main layout of the game. Initially I wanted it to resemble the Gold-Box games, and it had this familiar layout that resembles those games very closely:

2021-02.png

But, I've been revamping it to have a centered viewport, character portraits, a different layout, etc. Honestly don't know if this would be considered better or worse...

2022-04.png

Thoughts?

Not fussy but I think I slightly prefer the top; because of the kind of game it is, the loss of the compass in the bottom compared to the top is a factor in that preference. Also I like the portraits but in addition to the names+stats it feels crowded. As Negator2vC says you would expect the viewport to be wider for that.

Also the top one is in line with original conceived idea.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Just to put an end to the debate, I went ahead and rolled it back to the non-portrait version of the game. It's more in line with the kind of game I'm trying to build anyway. Sometimes I lose sight of that, so I need to remind myself what the goal is.

Thanks for the feedback.

norolim

Arcane
Just to put an end to the debate, I went ahead and rolled it back to the non-portrait version of the game. It's more in line with the kind of game I'm trying to build anyway. Sometimes I lose sight of that, so I need to remind myself what the goal is.

Thanks for the feedback.

So, what does it look like, now. Have you settled on a final look? How is the game progressing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom