Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Gyor

Savant
speaking of aggro, try this if you want quick wins in h brawl:
https://aetherhub.com/Deck/kapteeni-ripley

normally im not the one for aggro, but in here you get not played commander and deck that focuses on synergies. You know, as opposed to random value piles that are common now.
I wish planeswalkers get banned from being commanders. You see mainly planeswalkers now and random board wipe piles

I do have some fun Planeswalker Commanders. Master of Flowers, but to be fair at Seven Loyalty he becomes a creature & I've never seen him accused of being over powered (although he combos very well with Luxior), and Serra, mostly to generate Angel tokens and buff fliers. Calix Enchanter deck, to be fair I have no board wipes in that deck. Chandra, the one with four loyalty abilities. Tamiyo, Compleated, but no counterspells in it.

And I repect anyone who has the brass ones to use Ellewick Tumblestrum.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Planeswalker Commanders
forbidden color
indeed I havent faced him, nice

hmmm just did a quick check, currently there are 19 mono white board wipes

EDIT: or dunno, add rule to brawl that commander is always included under "all creatures" wipe. This would also cover esika bridge!.
Indeed -playing against white-blue commanders usually means board wipe-turns pile

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I feel good about my chances for this midweek magic event
image-2022-05-03-T15-57-14-310-Z.png

Gyor

Savant
Commander Zone just previewed a CLB card, Zevlor, mean while this thursday we will get previews for Double Masters 2022, Dominaria United and the 40k Warhammer decks. And later this month more CLB spoilers and Alchemy: New Capenna spoilers and release.

Gyor

Savant
Planeswalker Commanders
forbidden color
indeed I havent faced him, nice

hmmm just did a quick check, currently there are 19 mono white board wipes

EDIT: or dunno, add rule to brawl that commander is always included under "all creatures" wipe. This would also cover esika bridge!.
Indeed -playing against white-blue commanders usually means board wipe-turns pile

One Master of Flowers has 7 Loyalty including him in most board wipes won't help as he has indestructable.

Thanks for the codes Scruffy, those are decent sleeves again. And those BG cards are interesting Jason, I'm a little leery about them just because it feels like cards made for commander kind of defeat the purpose and fun of commander but I do like stuff that gives you a specific game plan. Like Gorion working like a lucky clover on a body is cool even though I wouldn't think there are enough adventures for an adventure-themed commander deck unless they're printing more in this BG set or are planning on printing more in an upcoming set.

And now for more generalized bitching, haven't been wild about this set for limited. Could be I'm just not seeing the fun and it's not like it's actively UN-fun but it feels too uneven. For example in Kamigawa you could draft stronger and weaker decks focusing on different archetypes but it felt like the difference between a good deck and a strong deck wasn't as pronounced as Capenna. Could be because of the emphasis on multicolor shit, can't tell you how many times I've had to mulligan down because I'll have 3 islands in my deck due to splashing for a couple strong cards and then get multiple goddamn games where I get two islands and no other lands in my hand. Even with the fixing and multi colored lands it's felt like a lot of games come down to if my opponent or I face plants on colors. It's a little odd since most often when a set feels uneven it's because there are too many big bombs at attainable rarities but Capenna doesn't seem all that bad for bombs, yet it feels like most games end up a steamroll for one side or another. Dunno. Did my bare minimum on draft and I may just dump a pile of gold for boosters since I haven't done that in a while and I'm not all that enthused about playing the set in limited.

Ziggy

Scholar
it's easily the worst draft since ikoria. draft an amazing jund deck with that not!thragtusk and jaxis and three murders -- get overrun by UW fliers and go 2-3. draft a bant pile with zero rares -- seven wins gg ez.
at least standard is great right now, got up to top 200 mythic before sliding back a bit

don't waste gold on packs, standard metagame challenge is at the end of next week

don't waste gold on packs, standard metagame challenge is at the end of next week
Except I hate standard. OHHHHHHHHHH I HATE STANDARD. Technically I've just been in a MTG funk rather than hating standard, but eh. And buying packs isn't as much of a waste as it appears, it's far more efficient to do drafts/events but packs do have the added bonus of just opening up wildcards and advancing the wild card track, so there is a slight upside to it compared to the other methods. It's not huge but it is decent for having wildcards for historic/pioneer/brawl and building up standard cardpool.

Come to think of it I'm in a general gaming funk and not just MTG, MTG feels worse simply because I feel more obliged to play it just so I don't miss dailies so I end up resenting it.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
those BG cards are interesting Jason
fyi: not explorer legal

And now for more generalized bitching, haven't been wild about this set for limited.
likewise, althought I cant quite point my finger on it. Maybe I dont understand the archetype powers, maybe because this month I have very limited time to play and just cant get into it. Not sure Ill be able to clear game pass or whatever that thing was called.
white-blue(perhaps green) counters seemed hella strong and since white is required I cant validate such set.

On other hand this set did include some interesting infusions into hb, mainly due to 3color nature. One thing Im super excited to try is to run korvold treasures version, but I couldnt get into it yet. So many ways to build korvold around, I just love that one as commander.

anyone got release callendar? Were we supposed to be getting 2 parallel game passes at some point?

Ziggy

Scholar
new stuff for hb indeed very sweet -- made myself some Big Jund with Mr. Orfeo (doubles attacking power of a single creature). It's just ramp, removal, and haymakers, many of which have trample, haste, or both. Brought down a Heliod gamer from 50 life to -50 in a single turn once -- Vorinclex on the board, extra combat phase from Zariel, another one from Moraug, some other stuff going on that I can't remember, Vorinclex getting bigger and bigger, glorious stuff.

anyone got release callendar? Were we supposed to be getting 2 parallel game passes at some point?

baldurs gate set for alchemy and historic comes with a pass, and even a draft format of some sort. So new pass on July 7th with its release, then Dominaria pass on, I think, Sep 9th.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I have been going infinite in Sealed with the new set, it's not absurdly fast, so you can set up a three colors manabase well enough, and the cards are fun. Lots of attrition wars, so removal is king, as are effects that slowly give value.

Ziggy

Scholar
Tried to make a standrad jund Graveyard Matters deck. Doesn't seem to be competively viable, but is p fun

Deck
4 Deathbonnet Sprout (MID) 181
4 Willow Geist (MID) 207
3 Undead Butler (VOW) 133
2 Haunted Ridge (MID) 263
3 Egon, God of Death (KHM) 92
2 Witherbloom Command (STX) 248
4 Graveyard Shift (SNC) 81
4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker (NEO) 141
1 Boseiju, Who Endures (NEO) 266
1 Bloodchief's Thirst (ZNR) 94
3 The Meathook Massacre (MID) 112
2 Thundering Rebuke (ZNR) 170
1 Toxrill, the Corrosive (VOW) 132
4 Ziatora's Proving Ground (SNC) 261
2 Titan of Industry (SNC) 159
1 Olivia, Crimson Bride (VOW) 245
2 Tenacious Underdog (SNC) 97
2 Cragcrown Pathway (ZNR) 261
2 Rockfall Vale (MID) 266
4 Darkbore Pathway (KHM) 254
4 Deathcap Glade (VOW) 261
4 Blightstep Pathway (KHM) 252
1 Forest (ANA) 10

Jason Liang

Arcane
how come jan is white?

Jan-Jansen-Chaos-Crafter-CLB-265.jpg

everything in here screams grixis
I asked Gavin Verhey on his stream how they came up with Minsc in AFR and he admitted that no one in design has ever played baldur's gate or baldur's gate 2.
Yes, I know that's not what you're asking. Yes, you are right, there's no reason for this card to be black or white. Well... turnips are white.

Well... turnips are white.
DEEPEST LORE

That is a pretty bad fluff failure on Jan though. Colors seem wrong and even his abilities don't seem very Jan-like. Then again I suppose a lot of the cards are questionable when held to fluff standards, Nalia doesn't really make any sense at all for example other than, I guess, trying to hire adventurers to go retake her keep? Maybe that's what they were going for.

Jason Liang

Arcane
The worst flavor fail so far is that they made Bane black/ blue/ WHITE. WHITE. BANE. WTF. If you know ANYTHING about Bane, not even from Baldur's Gate, Bane is NOTHING white:/

:mob:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom