Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Main News about StarLife

tiagocc0

Arcane

I still have to think about how I'm going to display them, but I will probably put stars or a nice background behind it.
As you can see the pack does have a star background: http://graphicriver.net/item/planet..._item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=Ivan_V
And I bought another that I'm already using in the Tactical Combat: http://graphicriver.net/item/tilabl...h_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=kckfm

Overall game looks promising and it's awesome you're keeping it up.

Thanks!

tiagocc0

Arcane
The trailer is useless because it doesn't have ingame footage.
It's trailer that I will use on Kickstarter when I start my project there again, and later I will modify it to use as the Intro of the game.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Well, the game is still in it's early phase, I still need to raise funds if I want a game that's not entirely designed by an amateur (me) so even if this does not shows in game footage yet, it at least shows I'm being serious about the game. :M

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
maybe they are busy making a crowdsourcing page ;)

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Take your time mate, I know how slow can it sometimes get. It would be nice though to share some ideas about the game even if there's no new content, just to keep up people's interest in your production.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Take your time mate, I know how slow can it sometimes get. It would be nice though to share some ideas about the game even if there's no new content, just to keep up people's interest in your production.

I'm currently planning the complexity of the ship design.

There will be several ship plans, they will have slots which will dictate how difficult it will be to aim and shoot a ship component.

It won't tell how many components a ship can have, for example a small fighter plan may have 1 hard to shoot slot and 2 medium, any component added after the first three will be easy to shoot.

You will be able to research new plans, a plan with lots of hard to shoot slots will take a huge amount of research.

Another design idea is the component complexity. A colony module, a long range scanner, a communication or jump jammer all will be complex components. Which means put any combination of those together or having a ship with too many components will make it's complexity level rise so it costs a lot more to maintain and will take a lot longer to repair.

This will make players want to create specialized ships at the start of the game, but new technologies will make components smaller and less complex, meaning you will be able to create ships with a lot more components at the late game.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Hi folks, yesterday I started coding again. I've been using QML on my work and I was able to learn a lot these last weeks, now I'm planning to use this knowledge in the game.
It's basically a way to implement a Table in which I personalize each column, so I can code directly on the table class. This table is available on the C++ side of the application with all the goodies and at the same time everything I change in the table is automatically updated in the QML side.
If used correctly the QML permits to use a minimum amount of code to update and animate what's necessary using javascript logic on the objects attribute.
For example for a ship I can code for the health bar color:

Code:
Rectangle
{
id: shipHealthBar
width: ..
height: ..
x: ..
y: ..
color: {
        if (hitPointsLeft/hitPoints>0.5) "#0F0" //Green
        else if (hitPointsLeft/hitPoints>0.2) "#FF0" //Yellow
        else "#F00" //Red
        }
}

This should make it a lot easier to maintain the code since right now I'm sending lots of signals, events and checking attributes like crazy.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Transition complete, now the c++ and qml codes are optimized to run together.
There is still some little bugs that I plan to squash this coming week.
I still need to make weapons work again, but I'm almost there, the main reason I got to redo the code was to have a very easy way to add two or more weapons to a ship.
Here's the code to make abilities, components and ship templates: (a ship contains several components and a components can contain one or more abilities)
Code:
shipTemplates = new ListModel(new ShipTemplateItem, this);
componentTemplates = new ListModel(new ComponentTemplateItem, this);
abilityTemplates = new ListModel(new AbilityTemplateItem, this);
mapTable = new ListModel(new MapTemplateItem, this);

abilityTemplates->appendRow(new AbilityTemplateItem("At0ML" ,"Mining Laser"        ,ATI::Laser_Weapon    ,13,ATI::isActive ,ATI::notPassive,ATI::isAttack ,this));
abilityTemplates->appendRow(new AbilityTemplateItem("Ac0RP" ,"Rocket Propulsor"    ,ATI::Combustion_Engine,7 ,ATI::isActive ,ATI::notPassive,ATI::notAttack,this));
abilityTemplates->appendRow(new AbilityTemplateItem("Pa0MLS","Minimal Life Support" ,ATI::Life_Support    ,50,ATI::notActive,ATI::isPassive ,ATI::notAttack,this));
abilityTemplates->appendRow(new AbilityTemplateItem("Pa1SCQ","Small Crew Quarters"  ,ATI::Crew_Quarters    ,50,ATI::notActive,ATI::isPassive ,ATI::notAttack,this));
abilityTemplates->appendRow(new AbilityTemplateItem("Pa2SCC","Single Command Center",ATI::Command_Center  ,5 ,ATI::notActive,ATI::isPassive ,ATI::notAttack,this));

componentTemplates->appendRow(new ComponentTemplateItem("We0MLC" ,"Mining Laser Canon"    ,1 ,1 ,1 ,5 ,CTI::isRepairable ,CTI::notCritical,this));
componentTemplates->appendRow(new ComponentTemplateItem("Sp1RPE" ,"Rocket Propulsor Engine",10,20,10,15,CTI::isRepairable ,CTI::notCritical,this));
componentTemplates->appendRow(new ComponentTemplateItem("Ot2SSC" ,"Simple Ship Core"      ,5 ,10,5 ,10,CTI::isRepairable ,CTI::isCritical ,this));
componentTemplates->appendRow(new ComponentTemplateItem("Ot3OCCC","One Crew Command Center",1 ,5 ,10,20,CTI::notRepairable,CTI::isCritical ,this));

shipTemplates->appendRow(new ShipTemplateItem("Sh0F","Firefly",QPoint(3,2),"image://loader/content/ship/OfficialShip1.png;180,0,0"  ,this));
shipTemplates->appendRow(new ShipTemplateItem("Sh1T","Thunder",QPoint(7,7),"image://loader/content/ship/OfficialShip5.png;50,200,50",this));
shipTemplates->appendRow(new ShipTemplateItem("Sh2T","Tales"  ,QPoint(8,7),"image://loader/content/ship/OfficialShip4.png;50,200,50",this));

getComponent("We0MLC" )->addAbility(getAbility("At0ML"));
getComponent("Sp1RPE" )->addAbility(getAbility("Ac0RP"));
getComponent("Ot2SSC" )->addAbility(getAbility("Pa0MLS"));
getComponent("Ot2SSC" )->addAbility(getAbility("Pa1SCQ"));
getComponent("Ot3OCCC")->addAbility(getAbility("Pa2SCC"));

getShip("Sh0F")->addComponent(getComponent("We0MLC"));
getShip("Sh0F")->addComponent(getComponent("Sp1RPE"));
getShip("Sh0F")->addComponent(getComponent("Ot2SSC"));
getShip("Sh0F")->addComponent(getComponent("Ot3OCCC"));
getShip("Sh0F")->recalculateValues();

getShip("Sh1T")->addComponent(getComponent("We0MLC"));
getShip("Sh1T")->addComponent(getComponent("Sp1RPE"));
getShip("Sh1T")->addComponent(getComponent("Ot2SSC"));
getShip("Sh1T")->addComponent(getComponent("Ot3OCCC"));
getShip("Sh1T")->recalculateValues();

getShip("Sh2T")->addComponent(getComponent("We0MLC"));
getShip("Sh2T")->addComponent(getComponent("Sp1RPE"));
getShip("Sh2T")->addComponent(getComponent("Ot2SSC"));
getShip("Sh2T")->addComponent(getComponent("Ot3OCCC"));
getShip("Sh2T")->recalculateValues();

As you can see I give an ID that can be anything, then a name that will be shown to the player and then the parameters, I will talk more about them later.
This will also be exposed to a sqlite database and text, so you can manipulate them outside the game.
This piece of code here I'm simply using the ship templates on the tactical screen:

Code:
 engine.playerList["player1"] = new ListModel(new ShipTemplateItem, &engine);
engine.playerList["player2"] = new ListModel(new ShipTemplateItem, &engine);

engine.playerList["player1"]->appendRow(engine.getShip("Sh0F"));
engine.playerList["player2"]->appendRow(engine.getShip("Sh1T"));
engine.playerList["player2"]->appendRow(engine.getShip("Sh2T"));

I create two lists, one for each player, then I started adding the ship templates and voila.
I'm planning to release a new video and hopefully this time a new demo too.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Here's some news, the engine is working as expected, I'm adding Scanners and Escape button.
Then I will start the AI.

Selecting Weapons:
SelectingWeapon.png

Ship Info:
ShipInfo.png

Help:
Help.png

Overview of what components will be:
Components.png

Cheap Scanners will take several turns to scan a ship while good scanner may take one turn.
Scanners will play a major role in AI. Ships that are identical to ships you have already scanned will only take one turn to scan.

Cheap Hyper Jump devices will take several turns for you to escape, you will be able to shoot, but won't be able to move.
Good Hyper Jump devices will take one turn to escape.

Command Center dictates if you will play first when the battle starts.
Ships with equal Speed points get a small random value that can be positive or negative.
So if you have two ships that have 3 Speed points, they could look like this: 3.01 and 2.98, so we know who will start first.
Since this is random the ship that has 3.01 and starts first will get another random value and can start later on another battle.

Life Support and Crew Quarters dictates how many crew you will be able to have. Each Component requires a certain number of crew to operate.
Losing Crew Quarters will affect morale, losing Life Support will kill your crew after battle.
Ships that lose Life Support will have it's crew reallocated to other ships after battle if there's space.
Ships without Life Support will be able to be moved to your planet\station so you can repair it and assign new crew.

Weapons will generally have two abilities, one for Damage and another for Range.

A Ship will be able to move-shoot-move if it hasn't spent all of it's movement on it's first move.

Do you guys want a Demo before the AI or after the AI?

tiagocc0

Arcane
Scanner code completed, took me longer than expected.

Now if you have a ship with a scanner it will have a range and a power attribute.
If by the end of the turn an enemy ship is within your ship scanner range, your scanner power will add a counter to the enemy ship. After a certain amount of counters the enemy ship info will be available to the player.
A scanner power of 3 will take three turn to expose a enemy ship information. A scanner power of 5 will take five turns.

You can only aim at a certain component if you have your enemy ship information exposed. With the exception of the engine.
Ships that are identical to ships you have already scanned will take only one turn to expose.

To-Do:
Be able to shoot a certain component
Cause damage directly to the component
Expose with only one turn identical ships to those you have already exposed
Start AI

Destroid

Arcane
Do multiple scanners stack up and reveal the ships components faster?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom