Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Major crash issue and some general game questions

China

Novice
First of all, I just want to say, this is an awesome game. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. But I have a few questions:

1. I've heard of the game freezing in certain situations and on certain actions, but my game freezes every 10 minutes without fail no matter what I'm doing. I have version 1.8. Should I download an earlier version or is there any other fix for this?

and some general questions about game mechanics:

2. Is there any way to play music besides by asking the innkeeper/ bartender. I mean, can you play it for individuals, to make them like you better?

3. Just out of curiosity, I noticed the skin color on the character models changes. Is this based on their bloodline, or does it attempt to match the portrait you selected? I'm sure I'll figure this out on my own after enough party creations, but I was just curious how that's done.

4. The walkthrough, so far, does not deal with the first dream. I haven't been able to win the battle yet. Is that a problem? Is there an important reason to win the dream battle? Should I keep trying until I get it?

Thanks guys!

Section8

Cipher
None of these are definitive answers, but:

2. Is there any way to play music besides by asking the innkeeper/ bartender. I mean, can you play it for individuals, to make them like you better?

Not unless it's explicitly given as a dialogue option, which I've not seen anywhere besides conversation with Inn Keepers.

3. Just out of curiosity, I noticed the skin color on the character models changes. Is this based on their bloodline, or does it attempt to match the portrait you selected? I'm sure I'll figure this out on my own after enough party creations, but I was just curious how that's done.

I'm pretty sure it's based on the portrait.

4. The walkthrough, so far, does not deal with the first dream. I haven't been able to win the battle yet. Is that a problem? Is there an important reason to win the dream battle? Should I keep trying until I get it?

I think it's supposed to be impossible. When your allies zombify the odds become overwhelming.

As for the ten minute crashes, I know I've heard of other people having the same problem, but I don't know if there's a fix for it. You might be able to search some threads or hope someone turns up in this one with an answer.

cardtrick

Arbiter
I didn't get crashes every ten minutes . . . more like every 25 or 30, which made it playable but infuriating (especially since it brought down my entire computer, rather than just crashing to desktop).

Those were the random crashes -- there were also plenty that were avoidable, which at first made it seem like it was randomly crashing every 10 minutes. I'm not sure whether you're having the same issue, but try to pay attention to what you're doing when the game crashes and see if it's reproducible. I can't remember the things that I discovered were crashing my game, with one major exception -- every time I was in a dungeon/cave/underground, the game would crash if I scrolled the field of view too far. At first I thought it was either random or that the game was simply unstable in dungeons, but eventually I realized that if I just moved my characters rather than scrolling the field of view (so that they always stayed roughly centered in my view) the game wouldn't crash. It was annoying, but livable.

As for the music thing . . . I think you can only play music for innkeepers, but I do remember music skill being used in some way in a couple of quests. I may be mistaken and I don't remember specifics -- I only played the game once, and I mostly rushed through it because the bugs were driving me insane.

EDIT: Oh, and I don't think you can possibly beat that opening battle. Count yourself lucky you can even see it -- for me, for some reason, the opening battle was completely black, with only sound effects to let me know what was going on.

Jora

Arcane
There's a street musician you can play with in the Citadel. There are also some quests in Land's End and the Citadel that require Music. Can't think of anything else right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom