Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Making The Cut: Jagged Alliance Online

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Jagged Alliance

<p>RPS reports the <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/18/making-the-cut-jagged-alliance-online/#more-36301" target="_blank">return of tactical turnbased combat</a> in the form of Jagged Alliance Online, a browser-based MMO.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Jagged Alliance Online will be built around the familiar Jagged Alliance games mechanics, which are a mixture of turn-based battles and real-time action. The player takes control of a group of soldiers, commanding them from an isometric perspective to complete tasks in order to earn cash as well as renown. If a player wants to stay on top, mercenaries will need to be trained and equipped with better weapons. If that&rsquo;s not quite enough, then mercenaries can be borrowed from friends or alliances can be formed with other players.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><a href="http://www.jaggedalliance.com/index.php?id=25&amp;L=1" target="_blank">Here's the feature list:</a></p>
<ul>
<li>Tactical Turn based Action in 3D isometric graphics with parameterized maps for fresh challenges</li>
<li>Management of mercenary company with extended RPG system </li>
<li>Synchronous and asynchronous online PvE, co-op and PvP </li>
<li>Build up your own HQ </li>
<li>Players can choose to accept campaigns, which are essentially a string of missions on a specific map that need to be resolved within a given time frame.</li>
<li>Players can support other&rsquo;s campaigns by renting mercenaries for a certain amount of time and can also bolster their roster by using their ally&rsquo;s mercs. </li>
<li>The game can be played as a normal browser game, managing mercenaries and sending them on missions or players can dive into the action on the tactical map, improving their chances and rewards.</li>
<li>The game has three core layers of gameplay:<br />o The tactical map, where players control their mercs directly in turn based/real time combat.<br />o The management level, where players run their company, rent out mercs and choose missions or campaigns as well as build up their HQ facilities.<br />o The social layer, where players may support or fight others on campaigns or missions. </li>
</ul>
<p><em>thanks Quilty!</em></p>

zeitgeist

Magister
VentilatorOfDoom said:
familiar Jagged Alliance games mechanics, which are a mixture of turn-based battles and real-time action.
The tactical map, where players control their mercs directly in turn based/real time combat.
What. :?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A FUCKING JA MMO! DO YOU HAVE TO RAPE EVERY FUCKING GAME I LOVE!

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!

:x

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Jesus Christ man. Laughing and crying simultanously. "So this is what it has come to..."

You got your wish, Mondblut. In a sick and twisted way. Hahaha. God damn it, have they no shame? :lol:

SoupNazi

SoupNazi said:
Maybe this is just a joke? bitComposer are really just making a true JA3 singleplayer but they're covering it up as this? Right? Right? This has to be a joke.

Quilty

Magister
I fucking wept when I saw this.

So now we'll have twelve year old fans of Fallout 3, Desu Ex AND Jagged Alliance who don't have an idea about the original games but modern gaming allows them to shit all over my childhood.

Fuck that, GRABBIN' PEELS AND CHAINSAW, COMMENCE SLAUGHTER.

:x

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
And another one...
That's the last straw, I don't even care anymore.
Seriously.
Gaming is dead to me.

pipka

Savant
AoE online, JA online... WTF is wrong with this world?
Compared to JA2 this is going to suck hard. :smug:

zool

Arcane
An online version of the classic game Jagged Alliance will be released in 2011. Today bitComposer Games and gamigo announced that development of the browser-based tactical MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game) has begun. Jagged Alliance Online will follow the same basic principle as its predecessors, keeping the popular mixture of tactics, strategy, role-play and management and transferring it to a modern MMO world.

Tell me this is a joke. Please.

reaven

Educated
hhhhnnnnnggggggghh.jpg

Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
You can visit "Jagged Alliance Online" at GamesCom in Cologne, Germany. Hall 9.1, booth C-036 (powered by gamigo). The recruitment center is waiting for you!
Quilty said:
Fuck that, GRABBIN' PEELS AND CHAINSAW, COMMENCE SLAUGHTER.
So there finally is a reason to visit Gamescom. I might just do my best Reuban impersonation for you. :salute:

Phelot

Arcane
which are a mixture of turn-based battles and real-time action.

That doesn't make sense...

I suppose they mean TB can be turned on and off? But how in a MMO?

Or maybe they just don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
phelot said:
There are people out there who think that V.A.T.S. is turn-based.

zeitgeist

Magister
phelot said:

It's likely just a list of PR buzzwords, you know, like when the new XCOM people talk about X-COM. Would be easy to ignore if games weren't actually designed by using PR buzzword lists as basis for the design docs lately.

Quilty

Magister
zeitgeist said:
phelot said:

It's likely just a list of PR buzzwords, you know, like when the new XCOM people talk about X-COM. Would be easy to ignore if games weren't actually designed by using PR buzzword lists as basis for the design docs lately.

Maybe you run around in RL and when the fighting starts it's TB?

Goddamn, stop making me acknowledge this abomination.

LA LA LA LA LA

SoupNazi

What? Did you guys even play Jagged Alliance? You move in real-time until you encounter a combat scenario. I'm pretty sure that's what they mean... also I still believe that this is just a cover and in reality they're making JA3. It has to be. This can't be true!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom