Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Making Wizardry: The Roots of Sir-Tech

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Andrew C. Greenberg; Robert J. Woodhead; Sir-Tech; The Digital Antiquarian; Wizardry; Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord

The Digital Antiquarian blog has put up what is so far a two-part article on the roots of Sir-Tech and the making of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. I'll quote it generously for you:

One of the most popular games on PLATO at the time (and one of the system’s legendary titles even today) was a space wargame called Empire. It’s a game we’ve brushed up against before on this blog: Silas Warner helped its designer, John Daleske, with its early development, and later developed a variant of his own. Robert [Woodhead] believed it would be possible to write a somewhat stripped-down version of the game for the Apple II. Progress was slow at first, but after a few months Robert bought the brand-new Apple Pascal and fell in love with it. He designed and programmed Galactic Attack in Pascal during the latter half of 1979. Demonstrating that blissful ignorance of copyright that marked the early software industry, he not only swiped the design pretty much whole-cloth from Daleske but made his alien enemies the Kzinti, a warlike race from Larry Niven’s Known Space books.

Microcomputers in 1980 had nothing to compare with PLATO games like Moria, Oubliette, and Avatar, games that that not only foreshadowed the PC-based single-player CRPGs soon to come but also the online social dynamics of more modern MMORPGs like World of Warcraft. Looking around at a microcomputer scene that offered only much less sophisticated games like Temple of Apshai, Woodhead began considering how he might bring some modicum of the PLATO CRPG experience to PCs. He tentatively named his new project Paladin. Coincidentally, a computer-science graduate student at Cornell, Andrew Greenberg, had been working on the same idea for quite a long time already.

Greenberg today frankly characterizes the months that followed, months of designing, implementing, testing, and revising what would become Wizardry, as “the most wondrous of my life.” The general role played by each was precisely opposite what you might expect: Greenberg, the budding computer scientist, designed the game system and the dungeons to be explored, while Woodhead, the psychology major, did most of the programming and technical work. Partly this division of labor came down to practicalities. Woodhead, still suspended from classes, had a lot more time to work on thorny technical issues than Greenberg, immersed in the first year of an intensive PhD program. Nor were the two exclusively confined to these roles. Greenberg, for instance, had already created many of the algorithms and data structures that would persist into the final game by the time he turned his earlier game’s code over to Woodhead.

Almost from the start, the two envisioned Wizardry as not just a game but a game system. In best D&D (and Eamon) fashion, the player would carry her adventurers from scenario to scenario — or, in D&D parlance, from module to module. The first release, which Greenberg and Woodhead planned to call Dungeons of Despair, would only be the beginning. Woodhead therefore devoted a lot of attention to their tools, crafting not just a game but a whole system for making future Wizardry scenarios as cleanly and easily as possible. Greenberg characterizes the final product as “layers upon layers of interpreters,” with the P-Machine interpreter itself at the bottom of the stack. And in addition to the game engine itself, Woodhead also coded a scenario editor that Greenberg — and, it was hoped, eventually other designers — could use to lay out the dungeons, treasures, and monsters.

Apple Pascal’s unique capabilities were key to fitting such an ambitious design into the Apple II. One of the most important was the concept of code segments. Segments allowed a programmer to break up a large program into a collection of smaller pieces. The Pascal library needed load only the currently active segment into memory. When execution branched to another segment, the previous segment was dumped and the new loaded in its place. This scheme allowed the programmer to write, relatively painlessly, a single program much larger than the physical memory of the Apple II would seem to allow. It was, in other words, another early form of virtual memory. While it was possible to chain BASIC programs together to create a superficially similar effect, as evidenced by Eamon, Ultima, and plenty of others, the process was a bit of a kludge, and preserving the state of the game across programs that the computer saw as essentially unrelated was a constant headache.

Greenberg and Woodhead got a prototype version of the game working in late September of 1980. They showed it to the public for the first time two months later, at the New York Personal Computer Expo. People were entranced, many asking to buy a copy on the spot. That, however, was not possible, as Apple still hadn’t come through with the promised run-time system. A second Siro-tech product was stuck in limbo, even as Apple continued to promise the run-time “real soon now.”

Yet that was not as bad as it might seem. With the luxury of time, Greenberg enlisted a collection of friends and fellow D&D fans to put the game through its paces. In addition to finding bugs, they helped Greenberg to balance the game: “I began with an algorithmic model to balance experience, monsters, treasure, and the like, and then tweaked and fine-tuned it by collecting data from the game players.” Their contributions were so significant that Woodhead states that “it would not be unfair to credit them as the third author of the game.”​

Read it in full here: Part 1: The Roots of Sir-Tech and Part 2: Making Wizardry.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I could never convince my sister, that I was actually playing a game, in what
she just saw as something that caused eye cancer, spoiled younger generation.

I told her, she'd get her first PC no sooner then she stood the test of time
with the trusty C-64, but alas, her grandmother thought I was joking.

I wasn't. But justified wrath died away unheard.

Still sad when reminded of the demise of SirTech.
Sad in the way of, I want to set something on fire.

My therapist ensures me, we'll work that one still out...

Repressed Homosexual
Great behind the scenes piece. It looks like the Siroteks and Woodhead/Greenberg got along great back then. I wonder what soured their relationship, mostly looks like the Siroteks being greedy. Are they still living off of royalties from selling Wizardry to a Japanese company?

Livonya

Augur
Patron
I loved Wizardry. So much fun. I had to go out and buy graph paper, something I had never done before. And I can still visualize the pages of maps I had drawn.

Interesting article.

Flatlander

Liturgist
I wonder if the (S)NES versions were also made in Pascal, if so it's probably one of the rare games made in higher level languages running on early consoles. From Woodhead's comments at http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-x-button/2011-07-06 it seems like a possibility:

By the time we did Wiz IV, we had p-code interpreters for a bunch of machines. Wiz IV was actually written on a Japanese NECPC-9801 running MSDOS; you'd type a command, and suddenly you'd see "Welcome to Apple Pascal". We actually bought a copy of Apple Pascal to run on the machine.
Also
Anime fans know Robert J. Woodhead primarily as the co-founder of pioneering publisher AnimEigo.

Seems that Woodhead was also an early weeaboo...

Edit: Given how portable the games were it's interesting that Bane of the Cosmic Forge is the only one with an Amiga version. And none for the Atari. All the other big RPG series were well known in the Europe but it seems that Sir-Tech never cared much about that market.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Whoa, I only now realized this is the guy who wrote The King of Shreds and Patches. And there is even Pascal appreciation several posts down - the way this is going, this site is :incline: enough to be added to the Holy RSS Reader :salute:

MMXI

Arcane
Interesting articles. Thanks for bringing them to my attention!

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Great stuff, will definitely keep an eye on that blog for future parts.

Repressed Homosexual
I wonder if the (S)NES versions were also made in Pascal, if so it's probably one of the rare games made in higher level languages running on early consoles. From Woodhead's comments at http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-x-button/2011-07-06 it seems like a possibility:

By the time we did Wiz IV, we had p-code interpreters for a bunch of machines. Wiz IV was actually written on a Japanese NECPC-9801 running MSDOS; you'd type a command, and suddenly you'd see "Welcome to Apple Pascal". We actually bought a copy of Apple Pascal to run on the machine.
Also
Anime fans know Robert J. Woodhead primarily as the co-founder of pioneering publisher AnimEigo.

Seems that Woodhead was also an early weeaboo...

Edit: Given how portable the games were it's interesting that Bane of the Cosmic Forge is the only one with an Amiga version. And none for the Atari. All the other big RPG series were well known in the Europe but it seems that Sir-Tech never cared much about that market.

Animeigo doesn't seem to release new anime at all anymore, only samurai films. But yes I think his fascination is easy to see early in Wizardry, what with all the stereotypical Japanese warriors it contains.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
In case you guys aren't following the blog, there's a new update about Wizardry: http://www.filfre.net/2012/03/playing-wizardry/
Teaser quote:

My wife and I played through one of the critical darlings of last year, L.A. Noire, recently. We were generally pretty disappointed with the experience. Leaving aside the sub-Law and Order plotting, the typically dodgy videogame writing, and the most uninteresting and unlikable hero I’ve seen in a long time, our prime source of frustration was that there was just no way to fuck this up. The player is reduced to stepping through endless series of rote tasks on the way to the next cut scene. The story is hard-coded as a series of death-defying cliffhangers, everything always happening at the last possible second in the most (melo-)dramatic way possible, and the game is quite happy to throw out everything you as the player have, you know, actually done to make sure it plays out that way. In the end, we were left feeling like bit players in someone else’s movie. Which might not have been too terrible, except it wasn’t even a very good movie.

In Wizardry, though, if you stagger out of the dungeon with two characters left alive with less than 10 hit points each, that experience is yours. It wasn’t scripted by a hack videogame writer; you own it. And if you slowly and methodically build up an ace party of characters, then take them down and stomp all over Werdna without any problems at all, there’s no need to bemoan the anticlimax. The satisfaction of a job well and thoroughly done is a reward of its own. After all, that’s pretty much how the good guys won World War II. To return to Barton’s thesis, it’s also the way you make a good life for yourself here in the real world; the people constantly scrambling out of metaphorical dungeons in the nick of time are usually not the happy and successful ones. If you’re in the right frame of mind, Wizardry, with its wire-frame graphics and its 10 K or so of total text, can feel more immersive and compelling than L.A. Noire, with all its polygons and voice actors, because Wizardry steps back and lets you make your own way through its world. (It also, of course, lets you fuck it up. Oh, boy, does it let you fuck it up.)

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
And another one - http://www.filfre.net/2012/03/the-wizardry-phenomenon/ :
What all of this attention ultimately came down to for Sir-tech, of course, was sales. Lots and lots of sales. For its first offices the company rented out a 100 square-foot area in the spoon factory that had gotten all of this started in the first place. Sir-tech started out copying disks by hand for sale at a rate of about 100 per day, but soon invested in specialized duplication machines that raised their daily capacity to 500. And they started hiring; soon Norman and Robert Sirotek were joined in the office by five employees. Meanwhile Greenberg and Woodhead started doing what you do when you’ve just made a hit computer game: working on the sequel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom