Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mana Aegis

nRCinci

Novice
Zwanzig_zwoelf - I'm sorry it feels like that to you and I honestly take it like a joke. But indie developers aren't exactly known for investing tens of thousands of dollars into advertising campaigns(like blizzard, ea, etc) and each game type can be promoted inside a competent community as people don't just find the game website on their own. I'm not saying you might not, but most don't, unless it's been pointed out for them.

So, adding up to your joke, it's not the same thing as me promoting your mom anywhere for that matter. Nothing to discuss over it if you are over 14 years of age or have a minimum IQ composed of at least 2 digits or higher.. please don't prove me wrong, I'd be really sad to know the famous RPG codex hosts such a narrow mind

But joke aside, you did open a great idea for promoting indies. Please do tell us how you'd go about this step as you seem to master the interwebs advertising.

Lhynn

Arcane
Lhynn: If you want to call it a metroidvania instead of a game or RPG, go for it, I have nothing against unconventional naming :D Whatever floats your boats, peoples.

So, as a summary. I don't see the point of discussing "why" it would be a certain type of game especially when it's so obvious it already would be so. Instead, creative feedback would be awesome, like "WHY do we choose to have RPG elements?" instead of asking "What are RPGs..?"
Its important to define what you are doing in the early phase of planning, before even going into development, else youll end up with a shitty mess of a game.
Not saying you cant get creative here, just saying that itd be easier on you if you defined exactly what you want.
RPG plataformer is not a thing, it was never a thing, it could be a thing, but you gotta state what is it that you want it to be.

If you had done that properly we wouldnt even be wasting time on this discussion.

RPG is a game where you choose your playstyle between a determined number of options given to you by a set of rules. At least to me.

Caim

Arcane
Another interesting question is which is the more important: the RPG or the platforming? If it's the RPG then you're making a Metroidvania game. If it's the platforming then what can you do with your RPG-gained abilities to overcome the game's obstacles?

nRCinci

Novice
I think we are having this discussion as we each see RPG in our own way. RPG doesn't have to be complex at all to adhere to it's genera.

I'm not sure if you have read the actual project page - there is a lot of info stating how the game works. And as you said RPG is to you, Mana Aegis does let you choose your play style between a determined number of options given to you by a set of rules. This is exactly why it's oging to be a RPG game, not a simple platformer. This is exactly why we can't just name it platformer nor can we name it exactly RPG. It has complex quests based on action and puzzles and not typical RPG "kill 10 of that" which make it a platformer. It's not like we're not used to games sharing mechanics used from all genera.

RPG is the means by which dedicated players will take the lead on power and easily get from one quest to another. This does make sense to me and the entire team working on it.

Lhynn

Arcane
Just call it metroidvania, will get all the fags of the genre onboard. a good one is needed.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Zwanzig_zwoelf - I'm sorry it feels like that to you and I honestly take it like a joke. But indie developers aren't exactly known for investing tens of thousands of dollars into advertising campaigns(like blizzard, ea, etc) and each game type can be promoted inside a competent community as people don't just find the game website on their own. I'm not saying you might not, but most don't, unless it's been pointed out for them.

So, adding up to your joke, it's not the same thing as me promoting your mom anywhere for that matter. Nothing to discuss over it if you are over 14 years of age or have a minimum IQ composed of at least 2 digits or higher.. please don't prove me wrong, I'd be really sad to know the famous RPG codex hosts such a narrow mind

But joke aside, you did open a great idea for promoting indies. Please do tell us how you'd go about this step as you seem to master the interwebs advertising.
Indie developers should be called today as 'Mario clones shovelware developers', and you are no different, since your idea ain't exactly new and interesting at all. Execution would be nice, for one.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Do you like old school side scrolling RPGs?
actually i do love oldschool side-scrolling rpgs but your game looks nothing like sorcerian.
can you name any concrete rpg mechanics this game is going to have?
RPG - game based on developing your character in a given setting.
getting new weapons in an fps is a form of character development as is buying a new generator for your ship in any scroll shooter or space sim. your definition honestly sucks and is barely above "a game where you play a role". if you are aiming to make a zeldalike sidescroller for casuals, that's your choice, but baiting people by dropping "old school rpg" in the thread title is just pure dishonesty in that case.

nRCinci

Novice
SuicideBunny, whether you like it or not, that is what RPG mainly stands for and I don't see it changing anytime soon. The difference in your definition of RPG and Lhynn's(- which IS correct and is nothing to disagree upon) is EXACTLY what I underlined in my above post: not all of us see RPG like it's definition states it - we're all correct because all of them cover the core fact of RPG reason.

Again: Going about the core RPG meaning debate is simply thick-headed and with no point! We ALL know what it is so why debate it? Did any of us invent it? No. So let's stick to it then. I have already given arguments of why it is an RPG, even defined RPG definition for rpg codex members(LOL? shame) and explained why this is pointless to debate. How could you possibly still go on about it like small children meaning to pick a fight?

The simplest features included which allow the character to evolve stats and pshychically are a set point of core RPG mechanics, what exactly did you not understand? WHat could be more simple? I don't know how to draw it for you so that you'd understand.

Caim. At last actual important questions about the game and not obvious "what is RPG"?
Glad you asked! SO like I said above: "RPG is the means by which dedicated players will take the lead on power and easily get from one quest to another. This does make sense to me and the entire team working on it"
This means, each of the 4 classes will specialize in certain areas which help them advance forward in the story. Warriors will slash their way through, at a slower pace as armors and equipment will have an effect on their mobility, range of view.
Wizards will mix a great deal of damage with skills gained for mobility and self prezervation or attack, depending on their subclass.
Rogues will be based on swift movement, large view areas and easy ways of taking down enemies unspotted or untouched.
But these are the perfect classes which achieve these extreme stats. If one should consider, he can go ahead and use wands and shields, knifes, rocks, bombs or any combination they see fit for getting by certain areas of the game. Even having no equipment grants us a special skill. We really want to make people play a free experience without the fear of needing to find the perfect equipment which can sometimes be annoying. Sure, hardcore players will stick to certain classes and level up perfect stats and this will most definitely give them a great deal of advantage. We believe we can achive this level of freedom and fun by implementing action combat which I described in more places - if you handle your shield and sword well, it might take some time, but you can still pull it off even if your strong point isn't maths.
But this all is means of getting quests and puzzles complete. Some thinking will be required, not just equipment, skills and quick action.

I won't answer to anymore "what is RPG" questions. It's flooding the topic with stupid. EVeryone on RPG codex knows what it is so stop it, you're not 12(I hope).

Your post makes it clear you've never been here before. You also just tried to educate everyone on the definition of RPG. You'll get no respect now.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Let's summarize what we already know:
1. nRCinci is an edgy dumbass.
2. nRCinci is around 12-16 years old.
3. nRCinci has no idea what RPG is.

Continue the circus, boy, I dare you.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Jesus, just call your game what it is, a _platformer_, and get over yourself.

Rogue Legacy also has character development and it's a pretty fucking good game, but it's developer didn't feel the need to whine that his game should be called an RPG when it clearly isn't one.

Eyeball

Arcane
There has been one good RPG/side-scroller hybrid. That was EVO, the Search for Eden.

This is not EVO. I have zero interest in it.

zwanzig_zwoelf

There has been one good RPG/side-scroller hybrid. That was EVO, the Search for Eden.

This is not EVO. I have zero interest in it.
You forgot Super Mario Bros! This game had, like, character progression and shit. And even, like, roleplaying!

Lhynn

Arcane
I really believe calling it metroidvania will automatically get a lot of people behind the idea.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
so this just dropped into our contact box:
We would like to kindly ask you to remove an older thread, regarding a game we are developing - Mana Aegis. The thread is this one:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/mana-aegis-rpg-for-pc.86310/

The reason is, our game has taken an 180 degree turn in terms of what the game will actually be and we are now running an initiative to clear any misguided info regarding our product. We are no longer making an RPG and want to remove all info regarding this, as it's misleading to our possible audience.

J1M

Arcane
Maybe they should "run an initiative" to complete the game first. :lol:

nRCinci

Novice
Hello guys

So first off, Mana Aegis had to be put on hold as we worked on "I Shall Remain" which is, just now, close to completion. ISR had been greenlit and we focused all our efforts into completing it. As soon as ISR is complete we're going full on MA.

DarkUnderlord - All information regarding Mana Aegis will be updated once we finish reassessing the project.

Now, since it's been over a year, we're preparing to make Mana Aegis our next primary project. But over a year has passed since then and the project had to be reassessed. We feel like the original game's direction won't cut it anymore and we are changing some of it's core concepts as well.
I have sent a private message to the staff or RPGcodex - which to my surprise ended up here in public in just 5 minutes. However, the decision to do so only seemed fair as it's a non-RPG dead game topic in the RPG codex workshop. Nothing short of miss leading for everyone. So this seemed like the easy way to fix things and keep all community close to their actual interests. I will be more than happy to keep you guys up to date with our new direction and constant progress once we put everything into place. It's going to take a while, but we'll get back on this for sure! (provided the topic doesn't close).

If the topic stays alive I will change the description of the project on my first post to clear things up for everyone.
Thanks for keeping in interest guys, you're awesome!

J1M

Arcane
Hello guys

So first off, Mana Aegis had to be put on hold as we worked on "I Shall Remain" which is, just now, close to completion. ISR had been greenlit and we focused all our efforts into completing it. As soon as ISR is complete we're going full on MA.

DarkUnderlord - All information regarding Mana Aegis will be updated once we finish reassessing the project.

Now, since it's been over a year, we're preparing to make Mana Aegis our next primary project. But over a year has passed since then and the project had to be reassessed. We feel like the original game's direction won't cut it anymore and we are changing some of it's core concepts as well.
I have sent a private message to the staff or RPGcodex - which to my surprise ended up here in public in just 5 minutes. However, the decision to do so only seemed fair as it's a non-RPG dead game topic in the RPG codex workshop. Nothing short of miss leading for everyone. So this seemed like the easy way to fix things and keep all community close to their actual interests. I will be more than happy to keep you guys up to date with our new direction and constant progress once we put everything into place. It's going to take a while, but we'll get back on this for sure! (provided the topic doesn't close).

If the topic stays alive I will change the description of the project on my first post to clear things up for everyone.
Thanks for keeping in interest guys, you're awesome!
If you couldn't be bothered to update your own website first, it obviously wasn't a very important request.

nRCinci

Novice
That is a most fair observation J1M. As stated above, we won't update with incomplete info, so we wait until we concretely have all the pieces into place. RPGcodex is the only forum where our game should've fallen into a more precise category - it's also the only website I requested the remove because of this. We don't mean to offend by imposing a non-RPG game where it does not belong.
I will update the full, precise info here when we nail it. This will happen at the same time in all places where we're permitted to change - if you guys have nothing against keeping this thread.
The RPGcodex topic tops google search for Mana Aegis so far! And that is pretty awesome! The only concern was keeping it here since it's no longer going to be RPG, that's all.

So, this guy pretty much sums up the state of the game right now:

Take care guys! I'll keep you posted with the new game direction!
Virgil

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It would be better if you asked us to rename this thread, rather than remove it. That smacks of censorship, a hot topic these days.

nRCinci

Novice
Wouldn't see the need of censorship, we love the name and will keep it, so the game will still be called Mana Aegis regardless of how we manage it's new mechanics.
However, if chance strucks and it does change, which I strongly believe it won't, we'll make sure to update everywhere we have the possibility - as we'll do soon with the game's description right here.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom