Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Marathoning Might and Magic games

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by v1rus, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I don't know if the Apple II version looks any different from the PC version. I do know that MM2 has some pretty nasty bugs in the Apple II version, and ever since DOSBox I see no reason to play anything but the PC versions as a result.

My comment was because the PC version has an EGA and a CGA mode, and the CGA mode does look ugly as hell. EGA mode is much more manageable.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd Arcane Patron

Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    MAC versions of M&M 1-5 is a rather interesting option.
    All of them have the full mouse support.
    MAC M&M2 is a vga version and AFAIK it is relatively bug-free.
    [​IMG]
    M&M3 and WoX have the bigger resolution. All art is slightly retouched (The resolution is 512x320 instead of 320x200). And mostly it looks p.good.
    PC:
    [​IMG]
    MAC:
    [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler
    Here you can download portable pre-installed MAC versions of M&M1-5 with two emulators. They are easy-to-use. Just start "MM1_Mac_Full_Mini_vMac.bat" to play M&M1. Or start "BasiliskII.exe" to play M&M2-5.

Show Spoiler
    You can import saves from M&M to M&M2, to do it you should start "BasiliskIIGUI.exe" and add MM1.DSK
    [​IMG]
    After that it will appear on your BasiliskII desktop.

Also... In order to turn off the retarded text2speech system in BasiliskII you should do this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: few corrections and additions concerning emulators.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Does this portable setup allow you to import from MM1 into MM2?

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    Never knew any of that. Pretty cool, thanks for letting us know.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd Arcane Patron

Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yes.
    For some reason you can't play M&M1 using BasiliskII emulator, it just freezes on the start. But you can play it with another more simple emulator (Mini vMac). And then, after finishing the game, you can add disk with M&M1 (it contains not only the game itself, but also all your saves) to BasiliskII (I've described how to do it in the spoiler in the previous post) and import all your characters to M&M2. And it's very easy to do it. MAC/BasiliskII interface is very intuitive. It's not nearly as overcomplicated as WinUAE, for example.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    I don't recall save anywhere being a feature in MMII. Maybe different versions? I remember needed to register at an Inn to save progress. This of course is alleviated somewhat as you get travel enhancing spells, town portal and beacon and such.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Watser Arcane

Watser
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    You are correct, saving anywhere was introduced in MM III so brainfart on my part.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Woops, didn't see the spoiler-within-spoiler. Awesome, I'm gonna try these out. Thanks a lot!

^ Top  
  9. v1rus Arcane

v1rus
    Right. I'm finally finishing with my bloody work. Hopefully, I'm gonna start M&M 1 tomorrow. Any suggestions on party composition? I was thinking one character of each class. Not sure for races tho. Prolly gonna go with bunch of elves, since I'm gay that way, unless thats gonna cripple me severely.

^ Top  
  10. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Take healthy mix of races, classes, alignments and genders. Powerful items are alignment-dependent, some monsters (at least in M&M2) are susceptible only to specific gender.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Watser Arcane

Watser
    Go wth the default party in MM 1, chances are you'll spend a loooong time getting better stats and the party is well balanced.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. v1rus Arcane

v1rus
    Bwah. Never liked going with the default.

Had problems with dosbox, still do, i just cant get the darn thing to run well. Tried with apple versions posted above, no luck either. First one runs well, but the second emulator just keeps crashing and blocking my computer. That amazingly scary apple voice doesnt help, either. Still, I'm crazy enough to actually roll till i get good stats.

Any recommendation for got race/class/alignment combos? Since items are restricted, I don't want the best sword unused since only my spellcasters are the only ones with LG alignment.

^ Top  
  13. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    :what:
    All these items have random alignment requirements. Just click at random too.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. v1rus Arcane

v1rus
    Cant get it to fullscreen and the fps is going wild. Didn't mess with it tho, got tired from those apple emus. Gonna give it a spin tomorrow, I think.

^ Top  
  15. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    I'm pretty sure the alignments are hard coded in MM1, and random only in MM2.
    The official Hint Book/Strategy Guide has details of all the items in MM1. I think it's available at Replacementdocs.

^ Top  
  16. Watser Arcane

Watser
    Alignmnt is not that important in MM II either as there are fountains beneath the castles which will change the alignment of your party, so you can always change it if needed be. This way it allows you to equip itms of several different alignments, just don't unequip them cause you'll have to change it again to equip it.
    Seriously, it's a non issue.
    Alt+enter for fullscreen and you can change CPU cycles by using ctr+f11/f12 to adjust the speed.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. v1rus Arcane

v1rus
    Right, I fixed everything with DOSbox, except fullscreen. Alt + enter does not work.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Corvid Novice

Corvid
    Just a freak idea: you wouldn't happen to have Alt mapped to something like regional characters? If so, it won't work, use the other Alt.

Also, get a frontend, screw setting all those options by hand.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Epsilon Cipher

Epsilon
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. v1rus Arcane

v1rus
    Nope, tried both of 'em, same reaction. Screen goes black for a sec, and then its back to windowed dosbox.

Now, I really like this multiplatfrom emu. Transferring save games between emus shouldnt be a problem, right?

^ Top  
  22. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    Also, there is a Basilisk II port for Android. Gonna see if it's gonna work nicely.

^ Top  
  23. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Wayward Son
    Shouldn't be, as long as it isn't cross platform (dos to C64, etc)

^ Top  
  24. Naraya Prophet

Naraya
    Hm, I started playing the wonderful game of MM1 using the mentioned Mac emulator but later on decided to switch to PC version because colors and I wanted to use save states. However, every time I load a game state, DOSBox crashes. Is it a known bug?

^ Top  
  25. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Unknown to me. MM1 is one of two games (the other being Knights of Legend) for which I've used a save states version of DOSBox, and it never crashed on me. I can't remember exactly which DOSBox version I used, though.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.