Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Marathoning Might and Magic games

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Hm, I started playing the wonderful game of MM1 using the mentioned Mac emulator but later on decided to switch to PC version because colors and I wanted to use save states. However, every time I load a game state, DOSBox crashes. Is it a known bug?
Get over save states, get the legitimate GOG version from the package.

madrigal

Augur
Take healthy mix of races, classes, alignments and genders. Powerful items are alignment-dependent, some monsters (at least in M&M2) are susceptible only to specific gender.
I disagree about alignment. Due to duplication spell it is better if your party is the same alignment then they can all use the same powerful magical items.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I disagree about alignment. Due to duplication spell it is better if your party is the same alignment then they can all use the same powerful magical items.

homer_boring.gif

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
...and throw away 2/3 of other powerful magical items. But really, Enchant Item is the charm, forgive my pun. You can even hoard gems, buy 40 food and travel back in time to save real time.

madrigal

Augur
...and throw away 2/3 of other powerful magical items. But really, Enchant Item is the charm, forgive my pun. You can even hoard gems, buy 40 food and travel back in time to save real time.
You are not giving up any items, you can change alignment in game and choose the best item. In addition some of the better items have no alignment. Also if you are going to use enchant item then sharing alignment is even better as you can duplicate items after they are enchanted saving gems. Your party will be a lot more powerful sharing alignment and you will save time managing inventory.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Also if you are going to use enchant item then sharing alignment is even better as you can duplicate items after they are enchanted saving gems. Your party will be a lot more powerful sharing alignment and
Enchant Item makes alignment redundant. Just find non-aligned powerful item (something like Proton Blade +2) and enchant the shit out of it. Then duplicate. All item stat enhancers from castle dungeons are not-aligned as well. :M I remember writing somewhere about methods for increasing all stats to 250 and bugs that you could encounter.
you will save time managing inventory.
:nocountryforshitposters:
But micromanaging is fun!

madrigal

Augur
All item stat enhancers from castle dungeons are not-aligned as well. :M I remember writing somewhere about methods for increasing all stats to 250 and bugs that you could encounter.
Max stat is 255 and you can grind all stats to max using circus but it is easier just to use enchant item to boost stats through equipment.

madrigal

Augur
Circus AND stat exchange places.
You never really become a god though because you can't boost magic resistance so are always susceptible to death magic. Rather than boosting stats one of the easiest ways to power is just to boost AC, with 255 you won't get hit and you can take on Cuisinarts with 1st level characters as they will kill themselves frenzying.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Circus AND stat exchange places.
You never really become a god though because you can't boost magic resistance so are always susceptible to death magic. Rather than boosting stats one of the easiest ways to power is just to boost AC, with 255 you won't get hit and you can take on Cuisinarts with 1st level characters as they will kill themselves frenzying.

So the time you save on micromanagement you instead spend on battling 255 enemies in every combat.

Dux

Arcane
I swear to Satan himself that someone or something stole nearly all of my gems in MM2. I had like 200 gems each on all my spellcasters and now I'm suddenly down to like a dozen or so. I haven't even spammed high level magic either. Wizard Eye, maybe, but that doesn't explain why my clerics are also bereft.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I swear to Satan himself that someone or something stole nearly all of my gems in MM2. I had like 200 gems each on all my spellcasters and now I'm suddenly down to like a dozen or so. I haven't even spammed high level magic either. Wizard Eye, maybe, but that doesn't explain why my clerics are also bereft.

Some rare monsters steal gems when they hit. Leprechauns IIRC.

Naraya

Arcane
Happy to report that it's the 64-bit DOSbox that crashes on loading save states. 32-bit flavour works like a charm :)

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Are you using a 64-bit OS with at least 2GB of RAM? If not, that could be the cause.

madrigal

Augur
So the time you save on micromanagement you instead spend on battling 255 enemies in every combat.
Personally I found the combat more enjoyable than the trade system. Anyway fighting hordes of enemies was based on your level and I advocated using AC as a way to keep level lower, which goes against your point, so I am not really sure what you are trying to say.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Personally I found the combat more enjoyable than the trade system. Anyway fighting hordes of enemies was based on your level and I advocated using AC as a way to keep level lower, which goes against your point, so I am not really sure what you are trying to say.

You mentioned the Cuisinarts. For 30 years now new gamers have come up with the cunning plan of grinding them for millions of XP. Then they complain about having to fight 255 enemies in all battles. Sorry if I mistook you for one of them.

madrigal

Augur
You mentioned the Cuisinarts. For 30 years now new gamers have come up with the cunning plan of grinding them for millions of XP. Then they complain about having to fight 255 enemies in all battles. Sorry if I mistook you for one of them.
I mentioned the Cuisinarts as the person I was responding to referred me to a thread about him mentioning the Cuisinarts and to make the point that raising AC is a valid strategy in fighting powerful enemies like the Cuisinarts.

Cael

Arcane
I dont care what anybody says, HoMM4 is a good game.
I just saw this.

Isn't HoMM4 the one with the 6 different campaigns with 6 different stories, one for each colour? What was so bad about that one?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom