Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Maritime Calling - Age of Discovery ship captain simulator RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tiamatgames/maritime-law-a-seafaring-rpg
Kickstarter 2: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tiamatgames/maritime-calling-seafaring-rogue-lite-adventure

https://www.tiamatgamestudio.com

06d3c76e76d4e911cf1fa593a6012e54_original.png

Tiamat Games is a small indie studio, undertaking a huge game, so some of the features are conceptualized but have no visual representation yet. We want to let you know the full scope of the game, as well as a summary of the features mentioned in our story block below (A tale of a captain):
  • Maritime Law is an open-world RPG, where you play as an English or French captain during the Age of Discovery.
  • You can customize your character and design his backstory. There is no fixed story, you moderate your adventure by selecting long-term personal goals.
  • Character progression, based on the challenge->idea->skill concept.
  • Authentic navigation system focused on providing a realistic sailing experience. You can never tell your exact location and your only accurate guide is the coastline.
  • You can explore any land on the map and lead conquistador-style expeditions in search of treasures
  • In-depth simulation of the ship's life: sailor professions, captain's orders, human interactions between sailors
  • You can customize your ship from decks and masts to quarters and decorations
  • Tactical real-time ship and land combat
  • 10 unique major narratives, shaped as an interactive text quest. Quests cover topics like the search for the legendary golden cities of the Aztec, the interaction between Europeans and native people, navigation in the political landscape of newborn colonies and escapism ideology driving the migration to the New World in search of a New Life.

3be50b339144c1feba8ddef3c533f17b_original.jpg
182a68dac94e9171eedc64a4294153b0_original.png
96bfc6e891c9d3ce4849e78b64cfcdce_original.png

Last edited:

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Most of the traits ripped straight from CK2, even going as far as copying the exact same icon as imbecile, now renamed "stupid".
No shame in stealing from the best though. More Crusader Kings-influenced RPGs please.

EDIT: They have definitely gone overboard with in-game exclusives in the higher tiers though. Bad, bad developers...

Last edited:

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
Most of the traits ripped straight from CK2, even going as far as copying the exact same icon as imbecile, now renamed "stupid".
No shame in stealing from the best though. More Crusader Kings-influenced RPGs please.

EDIT: They have definitely gone overboard with in-game exclusives in the higher tiers though. Bad, bad developers...

Even the interface is very Paradox-esque.

TiamatGames

Tiamat Games
Developer

Well, I admit, that we have a lot of influence from Paradox Games, as well as Sid Meier's Pirates, Nantucket and Assasin's Creed: Black Flag.

Considering the traits, though, we wanted to give a clear and simple example of them. However, it is not the final version and we intend to do them more in-depth and fitting seafaring context.
On the other hand, in our game design philosophy, traits should be relatively basic and massive feature of a character, not a very specific one like "Suffers occasional amnesia due to the trauma received during the battle of the English Channel in 1567". And in that case, the Paradox have claimed the ground of having a huge variety of basic features.

TiamatGames

Tiamat Games
Developer
, I admit, that we have a lot of influence from Paradox Games, as well as Sid Meier's Pirates, Nantucket and Assasin's Creed: Black
What of the Sea Dogs series?

Yes, definitely!
This game is actually an iconic game in Russia, as well as the Space Rangers.
I wasn't sure about mentioning it, because I felt like it's only known to the Russian gamers.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It reminds me of Seven Cities of Gold, which is definitely a good thing. We haven't had a decent successor to it in 35 years.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
This is looking like one of those games that get an auto-buy from me. Nice art style, management element, scurvy.

I've bounced off the complexity of Sea Dogs so hopefully this one is a little more approachable for mentally challenged people like myself.

TiamatGames

Tiamat Games
Developer
We receive a lot of positive feedback around different media and social spaces, but not many backers.

Can you, guys, give us some feedback regarding what are we missing?)

Shinji

Savant
We receive a lot of positive feedback around different media and social spaces, but not many backers.

Can you, guys, give us some feedback regarding what are we missing?)
It looks like a mobile/browser game, and these screenshots don't really convince me that it will get any better looking than this.

42314ed3b2ee21b343816f1b124ff89f_original.gif

7d50f0e7378cdde61546433127975a00_original.png

But this one got me interested:

3be50b339144c1feba8ddef3c533f17b_original.jpg

But it's like these screenshots belong to two different games (aside from the UI)

> The transition on the trailer at 0:32 killed it for me.
> Also, on Kickstarter it mentions this "3D sailing mode", but it is never explained anywhere what it means or what it will do -- just that it *exists*.
> The sea exploration looks too abstract. On 1:06, the island is represented with an icon instead of actual land. It really gives a cheap look to it.

With that said, the only similar games I've ever played are Sid Meier's Pirates and Uncharted Waters Online.
For me, exploration and discovery plays a big part in my enjoyment of these games. And in this game it looks really boring.

Another problem is that it kinda gives me the idea that what is shown is exactly what it will look like in the future.
I know that's false, but that's the feeling I got.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Well, I admit, that we have a lot of influence from Paradox Games, as well as Sid Meier's Pirates, Nantucket and Assasin's Creed: Black Flag.

The original Uncharted Waters from KOEI (1991) is still the best in that genre, in my opinion. Much better than Pirates.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The original Uncharted Waters from KOEI (1991) is still the best in that genre, in my opinion. Much better than Pirates.

There are so many great games from back then about the age of exploration that ended up being dead ends. I guess the idea that coughing the wrong way 350 years before anyone understands the germ theory of disease makes you a genocidal maniac has gotten so strong now that it's a topic your can only tackle if you're from Russia or Japan or some place like that.

TiamatGames

Tiamat Games
Developer
Ok, guys, thank you for the feedback!

We did some overhaul to the page design and touched in-depth the exploration and sailing mode.

Exploration%202.jpg

It's our first campaign, so we are still looking for the best way of telling our story and to explain what exactly do we have in mind.

Tell us what you think about it so we could improve further.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Is the map the real world or randomly generated? I could see it working either way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom