Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy by Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex never ever)

Wunderbar

Arcane
J1M this is square enix we're talking about. If the game flops, they are just going to shut Eidos down. Or worse, they may force them to make a battle royale, or some other crappy thing that's no longer trending.

ADL

Prophet
Mack's review is out. It looks better than Avengers but that's faint praise. Deus Ex next please.

Codex Year of the Donut

Silentstorm

Learned
To be fair, isn't Fifa like one of the top casual gamer games ever?

Every single entry sells by the truckload, there are console packs with Fifa, and stores just announce the crap out of new Fifa games, plus we are getting closer and closer to Christmas which doesn't help either.

That being said, i don't know how bad the sales really are, just know the game itself doesn't look all that great and that reviews go from mediocre to just okay...which i guess is more than i was expecting.

Codex Year of the Donut
35% off already

96% positive reviews, making it one of the highest rated notable releases of the year I suppose.

Kinda feel bad for Eidos here, clearly being hurt by the shit Avengers game.
Seems like it's a slow burner though, sales have been picking up? Might not be all bad for Eidos if they keep the review score up.

Why is Avengers listed as an Eidos game on Steam, anyways? They didn't make it.

J1M

Arcane
From what I saw it looks more like a cartoon than a game. Lots of talky scenes and limited gameplay freedom.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Just finished it. It took me 18.6 hours but I think the timing is skewed because I left the game on for a couple of hours.

Mack's review is pretty spot on except that he goes full retard and judges everyone by some rigid rules.

Yeah, the story is filled with infantile shit but it's also filled with thoughtful feel good moments. The QTEs can be disabled.

I knew that the game's mechanics will be garbage but I needed a popcorn experience to make me forget about some things.

That's all I wanted and the game delivered.

Obviously I cannot recommend it because it's shit but I cannot hate the game like Mack. Don't spend more than 10 potatoes on it and you will be fine.

76E166CB7FAC176F2944CF5ED10512204BC8E148

9297F567F650B5498788EECB9534237A72157021

548FD1CFF7FDFA26832B65D776364317F03E47FD

1AC8E8C204583D4DB21682B9C3EBBB9B15ACEBFE

A217A32CD40D567375A046EA428BBE64C714C31D

4E952B1D5A8E86B26A980D7676AD3F77E14ADA94

Duraframe300

Arcane
It's on GamePass now.

Still got my subscription, so will try it out. Fun popcorn experience fits me right now. There also doesn't seem to be any overtly sjw shit as well after a quick search.

Last edited:
Game kinda sucks. It looks nice, it's doing some interesting things, but the gameplay is not good. Eidos basically made a really shitty version of Devil May Cry where the combat isn't even half as good as Devil May Cry. It also made me think somewhat of that game Wet, as you've also got a more standard free aim, and you can slide across the ground and shoot which'll put you in slow-mo; but you don't have the same kind of freedom of movement as in Wet. The lock-on in this game is also terrible, which seems like a really weird thing to fuck up to the degree this game fucks it up, but they somehow found a way.

It would however be interesting to see Capcom take some ideas this has and do them in a game that's good. The team up attacks would be something interesting to see get absorbed into a DMC games.

Game is overall pretty bad. Even its use of music, which gets talked up as a positive, I thought was pretty weak; the music playing on you ship is also oddly quiet. It does however have some really great design work on characters and environments. It is however just interesting enough to make it feel really disappointing that it isn't better.

Also, just do everything whenever you're in some place because you'll never return to any place in the same state it was in the first time you were there.

Last edited:

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Gave this a shot recently. Not a Marvel fan but recommendations from friends and the interesting-looking visuals convinced me to try it. Was expecting the writing to turn me off before anything else but it wasn't bad at all. Managed to be fun and stupid without completely deflating the stakes, and it's clear the writers did a lot of research into the older comics and made a real effort to set this game apart from the shitty Marvel films. Graphics and presentation were great, lots of interesting stuff to look at.

But like others have said, the gameplay is... not good. Especially on KBM, the input scheme and menus felt very messy and unresponsive, and character control was clunky (rebinding keys only helped so much). Lock-on aiming in general is a fucking disaster for KBM players, it just doesn't feel natural. I played on hard and button mashing still got me through all the fights easily, but when your game is this on rails you can't afford unengaging moment-to-moment action. I had enough after the first few hours. Probably a better experience on console, chill on your couch and enjoy the ride I guess.

I haven’t played this, but everything I’ve seen has suggested that the game was obviously intended to be played with a controller. Not sure why you would even try to use m+kb, sounds like an exercise in frustration.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Don't even put your game on PC if you expect me to use your retarded inferior input method. I don't even own a controller anyway, there are much more complicated games on PC that control just fine. Devs clearly just didn't put much effort into it here.

Anyway there were quirks that weren't even really tied to input method. Double jump felt very inconsistent, and menus frequently ignored key presses. Eh, I'm not super upset, I don't think I'm missing out on anything that great anyway.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Played about 2-3 hours of it on gamepass, only thing I have to add is that

It`s weird how fast action paced this is (Don`t believe the folks that call this an RPG, Wolfenstein 2014~ is more RPG than this)
but also having a large and detailed codex and how you can stop and scan then read lore descriptions for everything interesting in the environments. Literally able to spend more time exploring / reading than playing the game.

For that niche guardians of the galaxy fan, it has to be a dream game.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Yeah, I'm having fun so far. Ideal for that popcorn experience. Have nothing to add about the critism and the praise, both are true. Set the difficulty to low in the end, because I wanted to spend as little time in combat as possible. Just exploring is much more fun.

At least storywise its not annoying and a decent amount of effort put into it. More than I can say about a lot of its ilk recently.

Fake Edit: What I will say though, is that one gameplay element did annoy me. The visor. It looks terrible, offers information I sometimes don't want and distracts you from taking in the levels. The lore bits when scanning are nice, but scanning could be handled outside of it. Barely using it.

Edit 2: I'm not sure they didn't realize the downsides of the combat. The game doesn't really throw enemies at you as much as other games do.

Last edited:

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Beat the game earlier this year, very enjoyable indeed. However, as other people have noted, the combat sequences are the easily the weakest part of the game. The shooting doesn't feel great.

Ivan

Arcane
started playing this, popamole personified. it's pretty, has quality VO, and the writing has already made me laugh. combat does not make a good first impression.

Ivan

Arcane
Gardeners of the Galaxy is a solid adventure game made up of an excellent cast of characters, strong storytelling, character work, voice over, performances, but blemished by some of the most boring, popamole combat I've ever seen. Let's start with its strengths: even if you've not watched the movies, your party/compas are what make the experience worthwhile. The banter is excellent, the characters display genuine personal growth and you can see their camaraderie blossom. They play off each other's personalities beautifully and make moving through the story a real joy. Now to get to the worst bits of the game, the gameplay. Oh boy, the combat is particularly poor b/c it can almost play itself. The game plays like a RTWP game whereby you can trigger your partners' abilities which run on a cooldown. Often you can just spam "lightning bolt" to obliterate your enemies. Secondly, each enemy has a visible health bar that informs you of which ammo type you should use against it (WTF?). The flow of the combat was so dull that I just lowered the difficulty to normal, as the game shows you that increasing it to hard just adds hp bloat. That said, combat CAN be over with fairly quickly if you just spam your compas' abilities ad nauseum. Also, you may have seen the "huddle" system. It's a bizarre "rally" cutscene that always breaks the flow of combat, and isn't really all that necessary given how easy the game is anyway, what with every enemy literally telegraphing which tool you should use against it. Annoyingly, the endgame sees an increase of these dull combat encounters, such that I reached the point where I was just barreling forward to reach the final boss.

Platforming/Exploration: the gameworld is peppered with collectible skins and resources you can use at toolbenches to buff your weapons and teammates. I was maxed out long before the final quarter of the game, so I think they really dropped the ball on the balance there. The skins are a nice touch, but I'm mostly someone who sticks with vanilla skins anyway. Movement does feel solid, you've got a dodge and rocket boots that let you dash either on the ground or to bridge gaps. Again, I mostly enjoyed the exploration bits b/c I found the banter to be excellent.

In sum, I came away impressed by the narrative bits of the game and the great performances that do wonders for the story. I often felt that I was having a much better time being in this world in this medium than when I was watching the films. That said, the gameplay was mostly atrocious, the combat the epitome of popamole, the exploration only worthwhile for squeezing out the most extracurricular banter possible. When it comes to the gameplay, the devs show ZERO confidence in the player, and that's a damn shame b/c the characters and the writing deserved much, much better.
:3/5:

also, Lady Hellbender
scouts_dat_ass_by_hushhyy_d231rlt-fullview.jpg
820.jpeg

Duraframe300

Arcane
Finished as well.

AAA game with some love put into it narratively. Both on its own and from a franchise standpoint. Which again, in this day and age, deserves quite a bit of credit. Mentioned criticism applies (oh boy does it apply), but I don't regret one moment I spent with it. Hopefully they make a better sequel to this and cast that godawful Avengers game into a void.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom