Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card-Based Marvel's Midnight Suns - Marvel universe card-based tactical RPG from Firaxis

Modron

Arcane
why cards
I don't get it
Who knows why publishers often chase decade old expired trends. Why did Square-enix demand United Front Games make Sleeping Dogs 2 a freemium mmo in 2013?

Herumor

Scholar
Who knows why publishers often chase decade old expired trends. Why did Square-enix demand United Front Games make Sleeping Dogs 2 a freemium mmo in 2013?

I swear, Square Enix has to be one of the most stupid video game companies I ever came across. How many IPs have they fucked up so far? There's their own IP to start with, Front Mission, which was shat on by Evolved, then they made Left Alive and how that passed any sort of QA or game testing, I have no idea, and now we're getting fucking mobile Front Mission games, along with the first and second game for Switch which naturally look absolutely horrible both to play and in visuals when compared to the originals and that's something to be amazed by,

You already mentioned Sleeping Dogs, a narrative driven game turned aborted fetus of an MMO that no one who played the original asked for. IIRC, the supposed single player sequel was supposed to feature two protagonists, Wei Shen again and a dirty cop.

Then we have Legacy of Kain, a series of games best known for its story and fantastic VAs and what do they do with it? They fuck it up not once, but twice. Again, we have an example of an aborted attempt at making some kind of proto-Shadow of Mordor, except set up in Nosgoth that didn't resemble any of the other games, not in the setting, story or VAs. "Fuck you, vampire" was one of the lines from that gameplay video that was most often ridiculed for how out of character it sounds for something like Legacy of Kain. But naturally, Square Enix wasn't satisfied with just almost fucking it up, they went and properly shat all over LoK with the multiplayer-only team deatmatch game called Nosgoth, where apparently each of Kain's vampire lieutenants had their own clans of vampires, and somehow we have the Razielim who can fly openly now, and they're pitted against human hunters. Anyone care to guess how that ended up? Yeah.

And there's the new series of Deus Ex games and the way Mankind Divided released and ended. Also, those pre-order / single-player MTX. They genuinely thought people would buy fucking skill points for a single player game when you can just use Cheat Engine for free to edit them in if you wanted them so badly.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Sounds fun.....

The change from Midnight Sons to Midnight Suns has been much discussed by fans, but it’s easy to see the reason for it. “Midnight Sons” was the classic comics’ name which referred to the traditional male-centric lineup – they were sons of the night. With the video game-changing the spelling to “Midnight Suns,” the name becomes more inclusive for women and non-binary team members, without really changing the name at all.
I don't know anything and don't care about Suns or Sons or Dongs. But it still almost makes me puke.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Looks interesting, based on these latest previews. The use of ability cards, the heavy focus on story and dialogues, will make for a different type of XCOM experience instead of them just putting a new coat of paint on xcom2.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Looks interesting, based on these latest previews. The use of ability cards, the heavy focus on story and dialogues, will make for a different type of XCOM experience instead of them just putting a new coat of paint on xcom2.
In what universe a card-based (or at least card-important) game about gays in capes has anything to do with XCOM? Except the same developer obviously, perhaps some code or assets. But the real things? Gameplay looks different - obviously, setting is different, wanting to cash on the popularity of XCOM is here perhaps, presentation looks somewhat similar but it wasn't unique in the first place.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
At least Spiderman is in his traditional costume and not that edgy illegible turd he's wearing in the cinematic trailer.

J1M

Arcane

I swear, Square Enix has to be one of the most stupid video game companies I ever came across. How many IPs have they fucked up so far? There's their own IP to start with, Front Mission, which was shat on by Evolved, then they made Left Alive and how that passed any sort of QA or game testing, I have no idea, and now we're getting fucking mobile Front Mission games, along with the first and second game for Switch which naturally look absolutely horrible both to play and in visuals when compared to the originals and that's something to be amazed by,

You already mentioned Sleeping Dogs, a narrative driven game turned aborted fetus of an MMO that no one who played the original asked for. IIRC, the supposed single player sequel was supposed to feature two protagonists, Wei Shen again and a dirty cop.

Then we have Legacy of Kain, a series of games best known for its story and fantastic VAs and what do they do with it? They fuck it up not once, but twice. Again, we have an example of an aborted attempt at making some kind of proto-Shadow of Mordor, except set up in Nosgoth that didn't resemble any of the other games, not in the setting, story or VAs. "Fuck you, vampire" was one of the lines from that gameplay video that was most often ridiculed for how out of character it sounds for something like Legacy of Kain. But naturally, Square Enix wasn't satisfied with just almost fucking it up, they went and properly shat all over LoK with the multiplayer-only team deatmatch game called Nosgoth, where apparently each of Kain's vampire lieutenants had their own clans of vampires, and somehow we have the Razielim who can fly openly now, and they're pitted against human hunters. Anyone care to guess how that ended up? Yeah.

And there's the new series of Deus Ex games and the way Mankind Divided released and ended. Also, those pre-order / single-player MTX. They genuinely thought people would buy fucking skill points for a single player game when you can just use Cheat Engine for free to edit them in if you wanted them so badly.
If you translate this post into japanese executive it sounds like a string of AMAZING business decisions that show yet again that western studios make bad games and anime is the best art style.

J1M

Arcane
why cards
I don't get it
Because this isn't your GRANDMA'S xcom.

So streamers will make whale purchases and to add randomness that encourages streamers to play it for more hours. Marketing likes commercials that last for 10 hours a day.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Dunno why people dislike cards so much, a lot of great games made good use of them, for example slay the spire.

I like the randomness they add, instead of relying on always using the same abilities, you are forced to adapt to the hand you are delt.

Tho I've read somewhere that they were reworking the card mechanic in this? Think it was referenced in the skillup video.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Dunno why people dislike cards so much, a lot of great games made good use of them, for example slay the spire.

I like the randomness they add, instead of relying on always using the same abilities, you are forced to adapt to the hand you are delt.

Tho I've read somewhere that they were reworking the card mechanic in this? Think it was referenced in the skillup video.

I always thought of Slay the Spire as a bit of an anomaly. Hearthstone was garbage. Does Hand of Fate count? It was fun for a few hours. Any others stick out?

The cards in this game seem like a cop-out to replace strategy with simplified randomness under the guise of cool cards. Maybe they are planning some monetization from the cards themselves.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Don't remind me. It hurts to remember.

Saduj

Arcane

In the Venom boss fight video, the player was using the same 4 or so abilities over and over. The cards being drawn just basically dictated which character(s) were going to act on a given turn but each character spammed 1-2 abilities.

I don't see why anyone would bitch about not getting a new Legacy of Kain, Crystal Dynamics would've just fucked it up like they fucked up that Avengers game they made.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
But what if they didn't? I don't get why you guys don't wanna see them at least try and fail because I love seeing them squirm about not making enough money when they fuck up. All that old shit is still there. It is not scripture. It's daft entertainment for teenagers that we all got hooked on. The more shit they make the more chance one of those things is good. BESIDES I REALLY WANT A LEGACY OF KAIN OPEN WORLD UBISOFT TOWER ADVENTURE.

:shitposting:

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
They're gonna Jew this thing up so hard they'll make Paradox blush with all the character DLC, booster packs, lootboxes etc.

TwoEdge

Scholar
The more shit they make the more chance one of those things is good
Not when the probability for each game to be good is zero.

It depends on who is involved and what we are talking about. Legacy of Kain would be hard with the VA dead tbh. This Marvel game will be shit of course.
AFAIK, both Michael Bell (Raziel) and Simon Templeman (Kain) are very much alive (although Bell is 83 now, so I don't know if he'd be up for it). Do you mean Tony Jay? Although his talent was without equal, I don't think changing the voice of the Elder God (or Mortanius, for that matter, whom he played in the first game) would be much of a problem.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Whether it's Hydra forces or terrifying demonic creatures, Cap will never back down from a fight.

Join Captain America and the Midnight Suns when the game launches October 7: 2kgam.es/3mx2V3W

A scrawny Army reject at the outset of World War II, Steve Rogers became a powerful Super Hero and decorated veteran known as Captain America by the war’s end. Denied entrance into the armed forces due to his health, Steve realized his only hope of fighting for liberty and justice was to volunteer for a risky military science experiment. He was injected with Super-Soldier Serum and physically transformed into a powerful enemy of evil with legendary strength of body and spirit.

An accident near the end of the war left Captain America frozen in suspended animation until the modern day, making him at first a fish-out-of-water in much the same way as the newly-resurrected Hunter…with the additional complication of having more experience fighting Nazis than supernatural demon-kin. However, Cap’s eagerness to serve the good of humankind meant he didn’t hesitate to answer the call of the Midnight Suns.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Captain America is a Satanist now? Look at those sigils?

So woke.... zzzzzzzzzz x.x!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/fi...gets-frustrated-when-he-misses-a-shot-in-xcom

I really hope that the above article is full of crap.
Otherwise it looks like that the Midnight Suns game may well be testing ground of future XCOM.

Where are you getting that from that article. Nothing in there that I saw gives any indication that anything in this game is a testing ground for a new XCOM. The only future XCOM thing that could really be taken away from that article is hit percentages might work different the next go around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom