Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card-Based Marvel's Midnight Suns - Marvel universe card-based tactical RPG from Firaxis

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
It's pretty interesting how with all this fake hype and dozens of previews/videos (and I did watch some of them!) I'm still not really sure what this game is even trying to do and why, but, at the same time, I'm perfectly aware how boring and shit it is. Good job from everyone involved.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's pretty interesting how with all this fake hype and dozens of previews/videos (and I did watch some of them!) I'm still not really sure what this game is even trying to do and why, but, at the same time, I'm perfectly aware how boring and shit it is. Good job from everyone involved.

Roguelike cardbuilder is just generally popular genre. Some games (indies) already tried to combine it with tactical overmap too.

I guess Firaxis just want to capitalize on that.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
>Hear game apparently has good combat
>Watch first four minutes of presumably hours of cinematics

:what:

I'm good.

Looking at the ResetEra thread on this, it seems like some of the reviewers are in some weird circle jerk with that forum over who can suck this game off the hardest for their delight.

After watching some reviews on YouTube, I refuse to accept there are humans that think the writing in the Abbey is good. The writing in this game looks like the worst trends of the worst modern Marvel comic books. Seeing the scene involving Blade's book club makes me wonder what exactly the fuck anyone was thinking. It's like some fucking lame ass shit in this game. Was also surprised to see the opening, however many minutes, that's up on IGN's YouTube channel; that shit is not something I would want to show off. It's got those stupid fucking intro captions that someone at Marvel must think are cute or something, but they're obnoxious, eye roll inducing, and completely unfunny...it's like someone watched Scott Pilgrim, thought to themselves "I can do that," but it turns out they can't and nobody is stopping them from doing it more.

The game also sounds like it has some real problems running on even good hardware. Which is odd given how the game looks like it should be able to run on the 360, not only does it looks like something that should be aboe to run on Xbox 360, it doesn't even look like a particularly good looking 360 game. Like if this game came out 15 years ago, it wouldn't really be something anyone would make note of visually.

I really don't get the Midnight Suns branding for this at all. Like, I get the impression this is probably happening because at a future point somewhere down the like Marvel Studio is probably going to do some Midnight Suns related movie with Blade. But this game, which marketing wise wants to give the impression it's some kind of horror related thing, seemingly has almost nothing to do with the Midnight Sons comic series and no horror stuff really. It's like ever gameplay section I see of this Midnight Sons related title is just battles with random generic Hydra troops and not weird fucking monsters. The Hydra troops not having their comic book designs may as well also mean you're fighting random human solider bad guys created just for this game. This Midnight Suns game seems more like an Avengers game with just a slight tangential connection to the Midnight Sons stuff. It feels like Firaxis want to make some Avengers JRPG homage card game type thing, but couldn't get the rights to Avengers because that was licensed out, so Marvel helped them around this little problem by giving them Midnight Sons and letting the, just make an Avengers game anyways.

Oddly the opening of the game does show off a take on '90s Midnight Sons human Johnny Blaze, looking a little more Sam Elliott like, and I say this is odd because human Blaze was a big part of that Midnight Sons stuff but he doesn't seem to be a playable character in this at all. It's also weird you're in The Abbey, as opposed to Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum, because the Abbey just seems like a shit version of the Sanctume Sanctorum. Why would anyone want original to the game Abbey when they could have the cooler looking and weirder Sanctume Sanctorum? Just from a fan service perspective I don't get it. You're making a Marvel branded product, one which is branded after a comic book event from 30 years ago, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the majority of people that pick this game up with rather have Doctor Strange's house has the base location.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I just saw this game has a 50€ Season Pass. :lol:
I mean that's up to par with latest AAA games

The issue is somehow in the store page this game has ingame currency fir MTX.

AAA game sold at AAA premium price with AAA price season pass..... with in game MTX.

Softgels

Scholar
The game contains Denuvo DRM but in the store page its not mentioned. :-D

Edit: They added :lol:

Last edited:

frajaq

Erudite
Is it weird to like the idea of the game? A mix of card game and squad tactics sounds just up my alley, too bad it seems to be in a game with atrocious dialogue and mobile mechanics

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is it weird to like the idea of the game? A mix of card game and squad tactics sounds just up my alley, too bad it seems to be in a game with atrocious dialogue and mobile mechanics
yes, it's not like "make NPC shut up" had been one of the most popular mods in XCOM 2. Who would have thought that doubling down on dialogue would have been a good idea?
Is the game moddable or not? I think XCOM 2 without mod would have been very frustrating.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Tactical superhero combat can't fail to be good, the card mechanic seems fine and it looks spiffy - but I hate Disney Marvel, and I hate AAA corporate paste. I can't bear the thought of having to plow through whatever woke garbage they're going to throw at me in the story and cutscenes just to get to the cool combat bits.

(Bit like why I could't be bothered with that door kicking XCOM game past a few missions, the combat concept was good, but not good enough to make me want to suffer through all the woke box-ticking drivel).

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Video games that have you use cards just show the devs have given up on the design.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Video games that have you use cards just show the devs have given up on the design.
Some are pretty good, though, and a few of them would not work with physical components (Trials of fire have you modify cards iirc), and Gloomhaven is a lot fiddlier in board game form. I'm still unsold on the idea for this particular game, though.

Codex Year of the Donut
Some are pretty good, though, and a few of them would not work with physical components (Trials of fire have you modify cards iirc), and Gloomhaven is a lot fiddlier in board game form. I'm still unsold on the idea for this particular game, though.
There's no real good way to represent ability randomization that doesn't end up looking and functioning just like cards. Instead of combat being a routine, it becomes reactive to what cards you're dealt. I dislike deckbuilding games but I do find this part - reacting to what you're being dealt - pretty fun in card-based combat systems.
I'd like to see this implemented in a way that doesn't seem like cards though because I hate the meta feel of it.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I thought the combat seemed like it would be interesting, but when I watched a let's play video, it was mostly awful cutscenes and dialogue. Then, I saw some loading screen tip about how you can buy gifts from the shop to increase the friendship score between two characters. This really seems like a Bioware RPG more than a tactics game. I'm wondering if there are sex scenes in it like the Dragon Age games.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Tactical superhero combat can't fail to be good, the card mechanic seems fine and it looks spiffy - but I hate Disney Marvel, and I hate AAA corporate paste. I can't bear the thought of having to plow through whatever woke garbage they're going to throw at me in the story and cutscenes just to get to the cool combat bits.

(Bit like why I could't be bothered with that door kicking XCOM game past a few missions, the combat concept was good, but not good enough to make me want to suffer through all the woke box-ticking drivel).
I will likely buy the game partly just to support Firaxis (and because I am a big comic book fan). However, the thought of contributing to Take2's coffers makes me wretch in agony lmao.

Yeah, I know that Firaxis is now owned by T2 but still...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom