Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 2 Box Art (sure to induce lawls)

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
The first game's box art wasn't a Leonardo da Vinci masterpiece, but it at least communicated the idea of "this is an incredibly deep and complex space opera," rather than looking like "this is a sci-fi shooter just like every other sci-fi shooter, only your sidekicks are a guy with a lemon for a face and the girl from House,"

So you could say the box art is more accurate now?

FaChoi

Educated
Honest marketing?

The first game's box art wasn't a Leonardo da Vinci masterpiece, but it at least communicated the idea of "this is an incredibly deep and complex space opera," rather than looking like "this is a sci-fi shooter just like every other sci-fi shooter, only your sidekicks are a guy with a lemon for a face and the girl from House,"

racofer

Thread Incliner
masseffectztwo.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Whining about boxart. Hilarious. It's meh. Just like all box art. *shrug* I have never bought or not bought a game absed on boxart. *shrug*

P.S. ME is not a shooter. It's an Action RPG. Just b/c something has gunes doesn't make it a shooter.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think the box art is perfect. It's got a yellow-green guy so you know it's a space game. It's got the Serbian from GTA4 in space armour so you know it's filled with bad shooting and it has Tifa from FF7 so you know it's one of those cutscene RPGs.

Volourn said:
Whining about boxart. Hilarious. It's meh. Just like all box art. *shrug* I have never bought or not bought a game absed on boxart. *shrug*

P.S. ME is not a shooter. It's an Action RPG. Just b/c something has gunes doesn't make it a shooter.

Where's the RPG part?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Are you stupid?

C&C, dialogue choice, non combat skillz, playing a role, having the game react to your choices, character skills having an effect on outcomes, et al. Fuck, people cna be dumb.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO FUCK YOU ME2 IS EVEN WORSE THAN DRAGON AGE NOBODY LIKES IT

Multi-headed Cow

What the hell, I thought they already revealed the ME2 box art, and I thought it was this which is a bit better.
masseffect2boxart.jpg

Volourn said:
Are you stupid?

C&C, dialogue choice, non combat skillz, playing a role, having the game react to your choices, character skills having an effect on outcomes, et al. Fuck, people cna be dumb.

Ermm... C&C does not equal RPG. Can be an element in an RPG, but not a necessary element. Non Combat skill... ummm... I guess you're talking about Intimidate and persuade? Yeah, that's a stretch. Playing a role has become a more and more nebulous concept, and Halo Wars does it better. Character skills having an effect... well, that's kind of become part of all genres, so it's hardly exclusive to RPGs anymore...

Sounds like a shooter with RPG elements.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
LMFAO Then what makes a game an RPG?

Turn baseed combat? FFS Bryce.

If the game is good/you like it it's a RPG, if not it's another genre? FFS Codex.

It doesn't matter if you like ME or not. It's an Action RPG.

I loathe the ES series But they RPGs. Fuckin' deal with it.

"Sounds like a shooter with RPG elements."

Sounds like a RPG with shooter (or action) elements.

c wut EYE dID thar? L0L LOL LOL

DemonKing

Arcane
Multi-headed Cow said:
What the hell, I thought they already revealed the ME2 box art, and I thought it was this which is a bit better.

Yeah I'm confused - although I didn't like the "original" ME2 box art much either it's better than what they settled on.

I actually quite like the ME box art - it sort of looked like a classic golden-era Sci-fi movie poster.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm still pissed they cut the male+male romance for Mass Effect 2. It was in the earlier builds, but was cut.

Don't like the cover... kinda... blah. Hope the game is better and a truck load of C&C.... that's not all Biowarian it doesn't matter, they all lead to the same thing. lewl.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Ewwwwwwww..

I will still play the game though since I can laugh my ass off more and has super powers/pew pew and braaap braap fights.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Jaesun said:
I'm still pissed they cut the male+male romance for Mass Effect 2. It was in the earlier builds, but was cut.

Aww, really? Shame. What with Zevran and all, I thought Bioware'd stopped being pussies about the homogay.

hakuroshi

Augur
Volourn said:
Are you stupid?

Well, technically your are right (as usual). But only "playing a role" worth a note - role-playing a personality to be exact. It was done nicely. Everything else mostly negligable except when again dealing with personality of Shepard-player-wish-to-be.
Can't say it's really less then in most other action-rpgs though. More actually.
Still most of the time your are shooting things in real time. With pause yeah. So shooter is not an unappropriate word.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Multi-headed Cow said:
masseffect2boxart.jpg

Seems kind of 80's scifi novel ish.

Shepard's expression is throwing me off. Also spesszoot man.

Grifthin

Educated
The collectors edition covers look very nice though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom