Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 3 VGA gameplay trailer

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Machocruz said:
Has "cinematic" gaming produced anything of value?
Legacy of Kain series.

MapMan

Arcane
Gears of Effect 3.

"stick to cover!" :thumbsup:

Thats a brilliant idea, especially when reapers reap shit with their lazors, blowing everything up.

Machocruz

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Machocruz said:
Has "cinematic" gaming produced anything of value?
Legacy of Kain series.

It's been a while, but I don't remember it permeating the entire game to the point that the gameplay is a secondary trifle. The original game's narration was more like theater, and it had cutscenes, but the great majority of its duration, the player was left on their own. In Soul Reaver, game and cutscene were seperate, not melded to like today's Cinematical Narratological Lifestyle Experience.

Twinkle

Liturgist
IronicNeurotic said:
megifagain2y9lvo.gif

Roll-playing game. See, Bioware cares. :love:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
A team of 70 artists and animators worked for 3 months on this sequence, and the most compelling gameplay they could come up with is "run in a straight line and press a button."

Fuck you, videogames.

Baron

Arcane
I'd probably be a little more enthusiastic if I were the Reaper or the Thresher Maw. Or the button at the end.

hoopy

Savant
attackfighter said:
Oh and also did Shepard say "holy shit" right before it started shooting? Yeah quality writing there, make your characters swear at random intervals so the kids know they're playing a mature game.
:retarded:

There are many things wrong with BioWare games, but this isn't one of them. Somebody saying "holy shit" is so commonplace in video games, movies and real life that it's not even worth talking about.

Captain Shrek

racofer said:

I wonder what sort of advanced, deep and mature features will get enabled with RPG Mode selected.

It will enable the Tranny revelation option.

Roll d20 + Will save to avoid being frightened when you realize its the truth against the DC of d20 + 15

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It saves time, maybe it defaults into certain Paragon / Renegade choice if you set it at the start?

Ermm

Erudite
I really played only the first Mass Effect for like 2 hours, and I don't want to play through it, so anyone can post the most lulzy moments? You know, like top 10?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Looks just like Transformers 4. I wonder if I could somehow play this with one hand, cause I need another to handle my beer and popcorn.

torpid

Liturgist
Shadenuat said:
Looks just like Transformers 4. I wonder if I could somehow play this with one hand, cause I need another to handle my beer and popcorn masturbate furiously to badly-animated sex scenes.

Fixed. Emotionally engaging gameplay.

attackfighter

Magister
hoopy said:
attackfighter said:
Oh and also did Shepard say "holy shit" right before it started shooting? Yeah quality writing there, make your characters swear at random intervals so the kids know they're playing a mature game.

There are many things wrong with BioWare games, but this isn't one of them. Somebody saying "holy shit" is so commonplace in video games, movies and real life that it's not even worth talking about.

A soldier who's getting attacked by giant laser cannons as he runs across a battlefield isn't going to take the time to say "holy shit". Typically if you're doing something dangerous that requires lots of attention, you aren't going to say anything at all because you're focused on the task at hand. And also Shepard doesn't strike me as the type to randomly go "holy shit" ever, as it doesn't fit well with his serious business space commander persona. He's been in similar situations before and yet has never said "holy shit" or any other similar exclamation so I don't see why he'd start now.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Just when you thought they couldn't decline anything anymore....... they let now answers answer themself :D

hoopy

Savant
attackfighter said:
hoopy said:
attackfighter said:

A soldier who's getting attacked by giant laser cannons as he runs across a battlefield isn't going to take the time to say "holy shit".
Mass Effect is not ARMA.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
hoopy said:
attackfighter said:
hoopy said:
attackfighter said:

A soldier who's getting attacked by giant laser cannons as he runs across a battlefield isn't going to take the time to say "holy shit".
Mass Effect is not ARMA.
What about his other points?

actually, while holy shit has been said I don't think there was such a reaction to such a event ever in the series

attackfighter

Magister
hoopy said:
Mass Effect is not ARMA.

Imagine if Luke Skywalker looked up at the imperial walker about to crush his spaceship in Empire and went "what the fuck!" or something. The wording just isn't suitable for the setting, and in fact the scene works better without any words spoken at all. Same thing in the ME trailer. The only explanation I can think of for it is that someone decided the action was too dull for a trailer (which it was) and that they needed some kind of cue for the audience to realise what they were watching was meant to be extreme. And so being creative types they came up with "holy shit!" and threw it in at an indiscriminate point where something happens, or whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom