Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I liked the mako. Not as much the mako itself but hanging out in the different planets.

I liked the idea of hanging out in different plantets, but it was executed terribadly. Not just the Mako controls but 95% of the content you'd find as well. It all had a quality of a mini-game, so its not surprising they replaced it with an actual minigame.

hajro

Arbiter
I liked the mako. Not as much the mako itself but hanging out in the different planets.

I liked the idea of hanging out in different plantets, but it was executed terribadly. Not just the Mako controls but 95% of the content you'd find as well. It all had a quality of a mini-game, so its not surprising they replaced it with an actual minigame.
Still better than not doing anything and then have every planet be a 1 square mile of coridors, them doing something that has a potential and then fucking up is still better than playing it safe.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If the planet design is similar to inquisition, then I will be quite happy.

Inquisition had some awesome open zones, problem were the mediocre quests.

hajro

Arbiter
Calling that Faux mmorpg GARBAGE mediocre is really something :bunkertime:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Still better than not doing anything and then have every planet be a 1 square mile of coridors, them doing something that has a potential and then fucking up is still better than playing it safe.

I don't know. Personally, after 3 games, I associate Mass Effect formula with Telltale-illusion of choice, mixed with shooter and some actual gameplay.

Some people will love it, some people will hate it, but ultimately, it was a unique formula, for a 2010s console AAA game at least.

Changing the focus back to exploration will impact that formula drastically. The branching and C&C will definitely be even more limited. ME2 and ME3 had plenty of tightly designed combat encounters, which again, won't be the case with open world.

I'm really getting tired of modern big-budget games abandoning their old proven formulas and everything trying to be generic open world walking simulators, with collectibles, meaningless content, empty worlds that are good for nothing except hiking around and romancing waifus.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Changing the focus back to exploration will impact that formula drastically. The branching and C&C will definitely be even more limited. ME2 and ME3 had plenty of tightly designed combat encounters, which again, won't be the case with open world.

You are implying that ME2 and ME3 are worth replicating. Just because they sold well doesn't make them good.

edit: Also I liked the Mako. The big problem with it was they used it to find all those collectibles and whatnot. That shit got tedious.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If they fill the new mass effect game with the kind of open world content they had in inquisition, then I think this will be the end of Bioware.

If they manage to learn something from the Witcher 3, and add significant worth while content to go hand in hand with the exploration, then this could end up being the best Bioware game.

hajro

Arbiter

BBMorti

Arcane
Will andromeda be a galaxy where they discover that bisexuality and beastiality doesn't exist ?

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
The thing I missed most from Mass Effect 1 wasn't the Mako, though I really liked what the Mako brought to the game, but the elevators.

Yes. The elevators.

As cheap a method as it was for hiding loading screens it made the world seem larger. So did the Mako.

That's one of the major things that made me like Mass Effect a lot more than I expected, it kinda felt *big*. It wasn't, but it felt big. It felt like I was moving from one part of a huuuuge space station to another when I stepped in an elevator. It felt like I was going up into a huuuuuge tower in another elevator.
ME2 and ME3 felt small. Cramped.

So. I hope they bring elevators back in ME:A

:martini:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The thing I missed most from Mass Effect 1 wasn't the Mako, though I really liked what the Mako brought to the game, but the elevators.

Yes. The elevators.

I liked the elevators because of the chit-chat. Added some character to your npcs. I remember specifically taking pairings of npcs with me whenever I went to the Citadel to hear different interactions. Most of it wasn't memorable but some of it was funny.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
LoL, I knew exatly what to expect from Beaware.
It's just sad funny that they are PRing their next big "RPG" with shooting in the face.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
i'll only play this game if you can either be a heroin addict or pretend to be jesus christ

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom