Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
They took what was good in ME1 and made it bigger and better.

Other than the plot, the world building, and mostly meaningless rpg staples like inventory, sure.

They did improve the shooter aspect of it, at least. And they let us mine worlds by holding down the mouse button. So that's a definite incline.

pippin

FFS, an excuse for you to see sex scenes before the final showdown in a dumb Hollywood fashion is now being praised as a must-have element of RPG and an inspiration for real life relationships....

This got me thinking. When the ME1 debate happened, I thought you were going to be banging women all over the place, but when I actually played it I was a little disappointed, since everything you got was a plain human girl and a plain blue girl. However, the detail that stuck with me is that, as you said, the sex happened just before the last stages of the game. That means someone had to play it (or at least waste more than 20 hours of his life watching a LP) just to reach that scene and create a controversy.

Compare this to Rome: Total War 2's leaked steam cheevos that proved most if not all reviewers only played the game for one (1) hour and some of them even used the automatic battle option. Really makes you think.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-24-now-we-know-four-mass-effect-andromeda-squadmates

Now we know four Mass Effect Andromeda squadmates
Cora! Liam! Peebee! And Grammy award-winning rapper Drake.

jpg

For many, Mass Effect's appeal lies in its sci-fi shooting or saving the galaxy adventures. For me, it's really about your character's little group of space friends.

Thinking back to the original trilogy immediately makes me think of Mordin, Wrex, Legion and Liara, or how quickly I left behind space-racist Ashley.

Looking ahead to Mass Effect Andromeda - which features a completely fresh squadmates roster for the first time - we know rough details of four new characters, via fresh pieces of information over the past 24 hours.

Liam
jpg

Liam.

Liam, a fellow human, is one of your two starting squadmates. Like main character Ryder, he arrived in Andromeda aboard the human ark Hyperion.

A cop in a former life, he's part of the Pathfinder team to provide security.

Revealed as part of Game Informer's N7 Day coverage, he was described as "youthful, enthusastic and idealistic", upbeat but quick to anger.

Cora
jpg

Cora (left), with Ryder and Liam.

Cora, another human, is the other starting squadmate alongside Liam. It feels like a deliberate choice on BioWare's part to begin the game with a squad made up just like Mass Effect 1's human trio of Shepard, Kaidan and Ashley. Hopefully she's less racist.

We've yet to see Cora's face, despite her being featured in various trailers.

A leaked marketing survey from April 2015 mentioned Cora as a squadmate who could deploy a biotic shield.

In fact, we didn't know for certain that Cora was her name until MaleRyder's voice actor Tom Taylorson mentioned it during this Twitter message:

jpg

Peebee
jpg

Peebee.

Peebee, an asari, and has been a regular part of the game's marketing and trailers. She's generally referred to as Peebee, although that is a nickname.

She joins your squad after crossing paths with Ryder early in Andromeda's story, and comes with some experience in the alien galaxy.

She arrived on the Nexus, the game's new Citadel-esque central hub space station, which made the journey to Andromeda before the four ark ships.

Described as independent and fast-talking, Peebee left the Nexus to travel alone. Like Liara, she has an interest in alien civilisations.

Drack
jpg

Drack.

Drack, a krogan, still hasn't been officially announced by BioWare but is now all but confirmed.

Not only was Drack named and referred to as your krogan squadmate in the above marketing survey leak, but Game Informer last night confirmed the existence of a loyalty mission for your krogan pal - without mentioning his name. (Loyalty mission = squadmate).

While Mass Effect fans wait for Drack to be named, some have gone ahead and named him "Drake" instead, because who doesn't love that roguish Canadian rapper.

Squint at one early trailer and you can see Drack for a split-second though. Here he is, behind Ryder, along with Cora:

jpg

Drake, sorry - Drack, has a loyalty mission involving a lost ship of krogan who you have to save.

...and more

Four is obviously too small a number to be the full roster, but BioWare has yet to say how many Andromeda squadmates there will be in total. You should expect it to be fewer than Mass Effect 2's all-time high of 10 (or 12 with all DLC), however.

The developer has said it is aiming for a smaller but more detailed set of squadmates with more dialogue for each character, so you get to know them better. Mass Effect 3 had six, or seven with DLC. Even Andromeda's least chatty squadmate will apparently get more to say than ME3's most fleshed out characters.

Apart from your squad, we know the Tempest's pilot is salarian.

BioWare has said one other squadmate will come from one of Andromeda's sapient races. We'd put money on you getting another turian buddy, too, so all five Milky Way races in Andromeda are represented on the Tempest, your new ship.

Conversely, one squad member was cut from the game during development for being too similar to a previous character.

The developer has also not ruled out creating a DLC squadmate, although don't expect any day-one DLC after Mass Effect 3's on-disc debacle. More likely, this may just mean an extra squadmate for a separate set of DLC missions, like Mass Effect 3: Omega.

BioWare will reveal a new chunk of gameplay footage at The Game Awards on 1st December - we'll likely get a more detailed look at your crew then. In the meantime, we've collated all the information we know so far about everything else in Mass Effect Andromeda.

lol Peebee

Thinking back to the original trilogy immediately makes me think of ... how quickly I left behind space-racist Ashley.
Goddamn euro
cuck.png
s. ME1's Ashley was the only semi-relatable quasi-human being of the whole misfit menagerie.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/...to-pursue-in-mass-effect-andromeda&GroupKeys=

Six Fun Activities To Pursue In Mass Effect Andromeda

MEAQuestion610.jpg

Mass Effect Andromeda features the series’ largest universe to date. Previous games let us take on small side quests and visit planets for specific missions, but Andromeda is raising the stakes with less linear planets and hub cities, opening them up for greater exploration and more to do than ever before. “If you look at the trilogy, you see all the hubs we created and the side content that came off the hubs,” says producer Mike Gamble. “That’s one place to put it, but imagine that side content in a place where you’re not limited to keeping your weapon holstered. There are so many different elements we can bring in by putting it on those planets with exploration areas. It makes the number and the type of side quests that we can do that much more interesting, whereas before if you’re on the hub you’re kind of limited to a fetch quest type of thing.”

The planets you explore come in a variety of sizes. According to BioWare, some are bigger than anything it’s done before, so much so you’ll have to drive across them using the Nomad (the new Mako-like vehicle). Other planets are smaller and won’t require getting the Nomad packed up. Planets house a bevy of different discoveries, as you’ll find colonies, hidden dungeons, minerals, and other secrets to unlock on your journey. “This is the biggest we’ve ever gone, in terms of the number of pieces of content,” Gamble says. “Although we have a lot of different areas to go to, we want to make it so whenever you go to those areas, you remember them.” Some planets are on the critical path; others are completely optional. BioWare is providing a lot to do when you’re out exploring, but wants to keep a fair amount optional so the player can choose how much they want to invest in the experience.

When we visited BioWare for our cover story trip, we asked what we’d be able to do in these larger spaces. “There are combat-related encounters, puzzle-related encounters, narrative-related encounters, and a lot of things will happen that add more depth to the critical path,” Gamble says. While BioWare wants to leave some surprises, it discussed some of what you’ll find as you search planets. Here are our biggest takeaways.

grouptrailerandromeda610.jpg

Loyalty Missions
As we reported, loyalty missions, which were a highlight of Mass Effect 2, are back. These narrative-focused quests allow you to learn more about the allies around you, having you decide if helping them is worth it to improve your relationship. If you’ll remember in Mass Effect 2, loyalty missions often brought moral dilemmas, such as when Zaeed wants to kill innocent people to ensure he can get his revenge on an ex-business partner. In Andromeda, these will be completely optional, but are worth pursuing if you want to get to know the people around you better. This is the only time individual characters have the spotlight entirely on them, and these missions can provide interesting backstory into how and why they became who they are. “Because they veer off of the critical path, it just allows you to tell very different stories,” says creative director Mac Walters. During our trip, we saw a loyalty mission related to the Krogran and it brought us to a new planet that we wouldn’t have encountered if we just stayed on the critical path. So doing them not only unlocks new story beats, but can lead to interesting, new places to explore.

Navigating With The Nomad
Planets are much more expansive than previous entries. You need the Nomad to make the most out of searching the majority of them. In fact, most planets have some sort of biohazard obstacles, such as sulfur pools and magma flow. The Nomad is essential for protection from some of these threats. With the Nomad, you can boost and jump to get past hazards or fit into nooks and crannies to find hidden items. “A big focus for us is making sure that the Nomad handles better, drives better, cascades better – that it has all the nimbleness that the original Mako did without any of the frustrations,” Gamble says.

Tracking Down Drop Zones
Whenever you enter an area, you’ll want to scour to find drop zones for forward stations. Using this tech, you can reveal all the points of interest on the map. This is also how you establish a fast-travel point, and you can change your loadout here. While the points of interest give you a hint of where you want to explore, BioWare also wanted some surprises along the way and to encourage you to go off the beaten path. “We don’t want to just give you map markers to follow,” Gamble explains. “We want you to explore, and find things, and stumble upon them. We really wanted to do that for players because it teaches them to go outside of the roads, and that is what the game is all about and why we give you the Nomad.”

Taking Out Enemy Bases
As can be expected, not everybody is going to get along and want the same thing in Andromeda. Danger can always be lurking around the corner. As you explore different planets, don’t be surprised if you stumble upon an enemy hideout. “On most planets there is some level of hostile force, and usually that will be represented by enemy bases or hideouts or whatever you want to call them specific to that planet,” Gamble explains. The majority of the planets you visit will feature at least one of these to take down and obtain some worthwhile items. “These bases are pretty lengthy to take out, so if you approach one, you want to be prepared before you into it,” Walters explains. It’s fun, because there’s a combination of systemic and scripted stuff in there. If you tip off too many enemies, the alarms start going off and you have to shut them off. And there’s usually narrative tied around it.” The bases all play into your role as the Pathfinder, but they're an optional activity. “As a Pathfinder the whole idea is exploring and creating viability in this cluster, eliminating those hideouts is a part of that,” Gamble says.

andreomedamonstertrailer610.jpg

Epic Optional Fights
For those who want plenty of experience and goodies, intense battles are around you to make the most of. Sometimes it won’t just be enemies attacking you. Two factions might be fighting and you can join in, knock them both down, and reap the rewards. Even more enticing is that planets also contain their own super-bosses, which are massive creatures that you can often spot from a distance, always enticing you to test out your skills. These aren’t just battles you can expect to win at a low level or without some serious practice and upgrades. “You’ll find creatures and encounters that are so far overleveled to where you’re at naturally on these areas and you can tell right away,” Gamble says. “We have a lot of other things like that, where you’ll know that you’re not ready for this, but you’ll know you want to come back.” Gamble said the team worked hard to make sure players had some cool things like these to return to after they beat the critical path.

Scanning
You’ve traveled to the Andromeda galaxy, which is completely foreign to you. Part of your task as Pathfinder will be to learn more about every planet you visit. As you explore, you might stumble on technology or rocks that you can scan, allowing you to send the data back to your ship. The more objects you scan, the sooner you have access to better technology, so this will be essential. “Scanning is one of the most important exploration tools you’ll have in the game,” says producer Fabrice Condominas. “You’re in a new galaxy; there are a lot of things where you just have no clue what’s going on. The scanner is a way to capture what is in your environment, send the information back to the Tempest to analyze it, and find those clues that we add to the codex, which might also give you access to crafting pieces, for example.” Crafting allows you to make better weapons and armor.

So far it looks like BioWare is giving you plenty of options for how you want to spend your time in Andromeda. Another thing you’ll encounter is Vaults, which we saw in the PS4 Pro trailer. These are more puzzle-based and tired closely to the narrative, so BioWare is keeping their purpose and function mysterious for now.

To learn even more about Mass Effect Andromeda, click on the banner below to enter our hub of exclusive content.

Grif

Learned
Thinking back to the original trilogy immediately makes me think of ... how quickly I left behind space-racist Ashley.
Goddamn euro
cuck.png
s. ME1's Ashley was the only semi-relatable quasi-human being of the whole misfit menagerie.
How was Ashley even racist? I heard this since Mass Effect came out and I still don't fucking get it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's basically an Internet meme that went out of control and became a false "consensus" because people found the idea of it so fun that nobody actually bothered to properly refute it.

http://www.gamesradar.com/in-praise...ontentious-character-in-biowares-sci-fi-epic/

In praise - and defence - of Ashley Williams, the most contentious character in BioWare’s sci-fi epic

Mass Effect will be ten years old next year. I don’t know about you, but I think I’d prefer to contend with civilisation-consuming immortal robo-squid than confront the actual process of entropy that this last decade represents. Even so, some things weather time better than others – and I’d argue that BioWare’s sci-fi opus, even the rough-in-parts first game, is one of them.

This was an intelligent, dramatic and accessible marriage of the RPG and action game, taking what had worked about Knights of the Old Republic and retooling it with a larger audience in mind. Accessibility means more than shooting and conversation wheels, mind: 2007 also marks a strong first step towards better, more inclusive writing. That effort starts, for me, with Gunnery Chief Ashley Williams – among the first of Commander Shepard’s companions, one of my favourite characters in the series, and the one most likely to have been left strapped to a nuke on Virmire about two-thirds of the way through the first game.

In order to explain why I like this character so much I’m going to have to address the krogan in the room: space racism. The notion that Ash Williams is a bigot whose views warrant her being sidelined – even sidelined to the point where you leave her to die in a nuclear explosion – is pretty widely held. ‘Ash is a space racist’ is something that somebody said once that has thrived in comments threads and forum discussions. It’s snappy and easy to echo, if nothing else a fascinating example of how particular perspectives become dominant in fan communities through repetition – even when they’re wrong. Which this time, they are.

This idea stems from one of the first ‘off the record’ conversations between Williams and Shepard in the first game. At this point in the series, ‘can we trust aliens’ is a recurring theme. A few human characters encourage ready cooperation, and a few encourage caution – Williams is in the latter camp, along with Navigator Pressly. Their argument is actually pretty sound: the turians went to war with humanity in living memory. The races of the Council often act primarily in the best interest of their own species, rather than the whole. Shepard’s enemy, Saren, is a turian specifically opposed to humanity, and at this point in the game – before the nature of the Reaper threat is known – it’s believed that Saren’s aims are political.

This is essentially what Ash says in that early conversation: the Normandy is a top-secret ship on a top-secret mission, and humanity is sharing it with people whose objectives we don’t fully understand. She uses the example of a dog-walker encountering a dangerous bear in the woods and abandoning their beloved dog to save their own lives. I’ve seen people interpret this as ‘Ash compares aliens to animals’, but this is completely incorrect: in this analogy the Council is represented by the dog-walker, and humanity is the dog. She worries that we’re at risk of being left in the firing line by aliens that will ultimately prioritise protecting their own people – and she’s right, as it turns out.

Late in the game, if you bring her to a pro-humanity demonstration on the Citadel, she’ll aggressively oppose its leader’s views – time on the Normandy has changed her mind. She forms friendships with Garrus, Tali and Wrex. In the second and third game, she no longer has this attitude. Even so, that one conversation in the first game has left an indelible mark on the character.

I find this situation fascinating because Ash’s value to the series comes specifically from the fact that she’s willing to voice challenging views. In the RPG genre, there is a tendency for companion characters to be written for the player’s benefit. They’re secondary characters in their own lives, and if they disagree with you then it’s likely that your job is to either prove them wrong or ultimately kill them (Wrex, for example.)

Ash is different. She arrives fully formed with a history and a set of values. She has a positive relationship with her family and with faith – and not Space Faith, either, but actual terrestrial real-world faith. She’s believable as a person: she tells jokes that aren’t always funny and says things that aren’t always appropriate. There’s the sense that she could have been the protagonist. She’s the one who lost her entire unit after Saren’s attack on Eden Prime, after all, and it’s Ash that goes back to the Alliance to continue their work after Shepard’s temporary ‘death’ at the hands of the Collectors.

I sometimes wonder if Ash’s unpopularity stems from the fact that she isn’t there for the player to ‘fix’. This is the pattern elsewhere, most notably in the second game – out of a dozen companions, only a handful of them don’t require you to step in to resolve their daddy issues. Ash’s own backstory revolves around the way that she’s been sidelined in the military because of the actions of her grandfather, but she’s already overcome most of those obstacles by the time you meet her. And after Shepard goes rogue in the second game, she quickly steps in to ask if you know what the hell you’re doing. It’s not until mid-way through Mass Effect 3 that the two resolve their differences, and that’s if they don’t shoot each other first.

I’d love to see more writing like this. Companion characters are at their best when they’re written like real people, and real people don’t exist for the benefit of a protagonist. Ten years on, the industry as a whole has made stop-start progress in this regard – and it’s more obvious than ever that Mass Effect was ahead of its time.

Neanderthal

Arcane
She's a fuckin runner, shoulda been shot for cowardice on Eden Prime after leavin her squad behind. Delighted when I got to bump the deserting bitch off. Don't gi a fuck about speciesism, U6 did that better years afore. Then again i'd shoot most o Mass Effect cast.

How was Ashley even racist? I heard this since Mass Effect came out and I still don't fucking get it.
She was "humans first" kind of character - even said she didn't actually dislike aliens, just loyal to her own kind. But according to libcucks, if you aren't sucking every alien cock in sight, you're OMG DISGUSTING RACIST SHITLORD, naturally.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
That activities list reads like a fucking assassin's creed game, build outpost to scan the map, pick up collectibles / minerals, murder death kill enemy strongholds for treasure...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That activities list reads like a fucking assassin's creed game, build outpost to scan the map, pick up collectibles / minerals, murder death kill enemy strongholds for treasure...
Dragon Age: Inquisition Mk. II

anus_pounder

Arcane
Looks like shit. The only people who can really pull off this sort of check-list type open worlds are Ubisoft, who have proven so multiple times (every single AC game, FC3 and 4, Watch_Dogs 1 and 2, Upcoming Ghost Recon game).

Will not be touching this crap with a 10 foot pole.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Goddamn euro
cuck.png

She was essentially a Trump supporter because she put "Humans first" over the alien scum in everything pertaining to mankind's struggle. Game journos and cucks took this all very very seriously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom