Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Hype, Praise, Criticisms, Minor Spoilers

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
collection of ME reviews. Be sure to check out Gametrailers' video review. Awesomeness abounds.

Gametrailers: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27704.html 9.6

Xboxevolved: http://xboxevolved.e-mpire.com/article. ... &comments= 9.8

IGN: http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/833/833640p1.html 9.4 (includes both video and written review)

Gamespy: http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/mas ... 239p1.html 5/5

Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=87875 8/10 (too much talking, not enough shooting, subpar shooter)

Teamxbox: http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/14 ... Effect/p1/ 9.6

There ya go. Add any you find.

Most common complaints is the combat isn't 'shooter' enough, some bug hang ups, and not as much handholding as expected (no tutorial for example), and side quest exploration isn't as deep as the main quest stuff.

Most common praise is story, characters, graphics, sound (voice/music), and role-playing.

Have fun!

P.S. I should have the game tomorrow!!!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
IGN has the most indepth written review (4 pages, and they do cover negatives).

Gametrailers' video review is very good, and shows a lot of stuff in action, though it's mostly uniformly positive.

Eurogamers' tackles' from a more negative point of view (still like the game though).

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
IGN said:
Humanity is a newcomer to the galactic community and you are seen as an ambassador of sorts, and the game never lets you forget this.

IGN said:
Are you willing to sacrifice lives to achieve your goals? Be careful how you answer that question. Mass Effect can be so brutal at times that it will leave you slack jawed -- stunned that a game can hit you at your very core. The decisions aren't always cut and dry. The line between doing the right thing and going too far gets blurry at times and smudged out of existence at others.

IGN said:
Speaking of classic sci-fi, much of Mass Effect plays like a nod to the goofy science fiction movies of the '70s and '80s. There's a grain filter that can be turned on or off to make the game look more like an aging film. The music, too, draws heavily from this era with liberal use of synthesizers to fill out the audio.

If all of this is true then Mass Effect has all the chances to become one of my favorite RPGs.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
micmu said:
Lestat said:
If al of this is true then Mass Effect has all the chances to become one of my favorite RPGs.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21486

Gwendo said:
Example:

One guy asks for my help. He says his wife died in combat for the Alliance, but the Alliance refused to send him the body for unknown reasons. He asked me if I could pull some strings and return her corpse to him, for a proper burial and such.
I went to talk with an officer, and he said that woman was one of the victims of an alien attack, with some unknown weapons. By examining her strange wounds, they could research about that unknown technology and, who knows, save more lives in the future. (you can ask how long it would take, if it could really help the Alliance, etc). Your choice: use your influence and intimidation to convince the officer to return the body to the woman's husband, or try to talk with him and reasoning about the benefits of donating the body for research?

Deleted member 7219

Hmm, sounds good. If the only criticisms are about long dialogues and not enough emphasis on combat, then it sounds like my kind of game.

MasPingon

Arcane
Ign:

Mass Effect review

"Glitches, poor AI, and weak squad mechanics weigh the game down"

Applying number ratings to a game like this doesn't do it justice because there is no way you can ignore its technical flaws

Score: 9.4

Lol, so they are suggesting it deserves even higher score, I can't belive that bullshit. The game with 20 hours of gameplay, with a lot of run and gun action is becoming 9.4 or even 9.8 crpg? I'm waiting till they port this game for PC couse it looks good, but this situation reminds me Oblivion's hype machine. Those reviews are totally biased

doctor_kaz

Scholar
With all of the idiotic reviews that ign has written over the years, I can't believe that there are still people who still get excited about a game that they go ga-ga over. These people gave Deus Ex: Invisible War a 90% and they gave Jade Empire a 99%. In the case of Jade Empire, they actually made fun of themselves for their own score two years later. Basically they acknowledged that their review was fanboyish shit. What reason is there to expect this review to be any different? Especially when it's full of the same hyperbole that you'd expect from a 13-year old?

MasPingon

Arcane
This is just ridiculuous

GameTrailers

It's certainly not perfect

Score - 9.6

Yeah, that explains 0.4 point taken from the overall score

They said it often plays like a typical shooter but with pc stats. Funny thing - they see it as a strentgh of the game. Whole review looked like Bioware's PR material, waiting for more of this crap:]

Oh, I forgot Bioware is now EA property. That explains a lot

dragonfk

Erudite
MasPingon said:
This is just ridiculuous

GameTrailers

It's certainly not perfect

Score - 9.6

Yeah, that explains 0.4 point taken from the overall score

US guys are just afraid that Canadians will kick their asses (with their tasers, ow wait. I forgot canadian dragoons, or whatever they are called, are only courageous when faced with a weaponless, alone person) for giving low scores to Bioware games.

That PCWorld review seems pretty reasonable to me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yo, my Homey WW (who might have me on ignore L0L), PCW already has a link to its review here. HAHA!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Volourn said:
Yo, my Homey WW (who might have me on ignore L0L), PCW already has a link to its review here. HAHA!

No Mate, I'm against this Ignore Shit.

And that link is from you, I just wanted to show from where I took it - I didn't Quote it (my mistake).

Solaris

Scholar
My instincts say it'll be an okay game, nothing like the hype its generated tho. Will buy it, but not expecting it to surpass The Witcher or MotB in terms of rpg'ness obviously. But it looks a good sci-fi adventure with shooter/rpgs bits thrown in.

I can't be arsed with what suppossed 'game journos' say these days, except when I'm bored and want a good laugh...

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
actiontrip.com has a pretty good review for the game. They gave it a 9.1, if I remember correctly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom