Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Vorark

Erudite
https://www.ea.com/games/mass-effect/mass-effect-legendary-edition

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/05/rumor-mass-effect-trilogy-remaster-due-out-by-march-31-2021

Rumor: Mass Effect Trilogy remaster due out by March 31, 2021

In its fiscal year Q4 2020 results published on May 5, Electronic Arts said it has 14 titles planned for release in fiscal year 2021, which ends on March 31, 2021. One of those titles, which Electronic Arts labeled “additional EA HD title,” is a Mass Effect Trilogy remaster, according to VentureBeat‘s Jeff Grubb.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/05/rumor-mass-effect-trilogy-remaster-due-out-by-march-31-2021

In its fiscal year Q4 2020 results published on May 5, Electronic Arts said it has 14 titles planned for release in fiscal year 2021, which ends on March 31, 2021. One of those titles, which Electronic Arts labeled “additional EA HD title,” is a Mass Effect Trilogy remaster, according to VentureBeat‘s Jeff Grubb.

Are they going to remaster that shitty ending?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Yes, it will have all the colors of the rainbow now

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Hopefully 8 years is enough to completely erode whatever misguided artistic integrity was keeping them from correcting the ending when it was prescient. I wonder what third-party dev this is gettin' farmed out to.

Of course not, this is a dead franchise with an as-of-yet untapped nostalgia factor to exploit. All the effort's gonna go into injecting godrays, turning up the bloom, remodeling assets and prettying up Garrus' face.
Still, 3's multiplayer might be fun for a bit if they strip out the premium store.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Remaster likely won't mean much on PC, as they usually stink (Doom 3, Bioshock, etc.). That said, the original has a ton of fucking UI problems I'd love to see fixed, if by some miracle they make a better PC UI in 2020 than they did back then.

Codex Year of the Donut
Remaster likely won't mean much on PC, as they usually stink (Doom 3, Bioshock, etc.). That said, the original has a ton of fucking UI problems I'd love to see fixed, if by some miracle they make a better PC UI in 2020 than they did back then.
ME2 has a fully consolized UI, largely fixed in ME3 and wasn't an issue in ME1. You can't even use your scroll wheel to scroll lists up/down.
Probably won't get addressed, but it's something that should be. Same with the crappy ME2 minigames.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
ME2 has a fully consolized UI, largely fixed in ME3 and wasn't an issue in ME1. You can't even use your scroll wheel to scroll lists up/down.
Probably won't get addressed, but it's something that should be. Same with the crappy ME2 minigames.

I just remember endless bullshit in menus with ME1, but maybe that's just because of the loot system in general.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Unless it's a remake like the recent resident evil or FF7, otherwise it's just wasting time and resources.

The graphics of these games are good enough, making them prettier won't do much. As a matter of fact the devs now days should put more effort into something other than the graphics.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Jesus Christ, the hacking minigames in ME2. :lol:

I completely forgot about them. What kind of hysteria afflicted developers in the first decade of 2000? So many great games plagued by pointless shitty time-consuming minigames.

Codex Year of the Donut
They'd have to rewrite major portions of the story starting in ME2 and retcon reapers back to their original intention. There's simply nothing Shepard can do that could ever compare to dealing with the reapers, they're a galaxy-wide extinction event.
I wonder how much they kick themselves for writing themselves into a corner like that. Easiest way out would probably be an alternate universe.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
To defeat the reapers you need 2 ingredients. 1) a way to travel without being dependent on their technology, like your own jump gates or even better something that doesn't even need jump gates like worm holes or whatever and 2) a way to neutralize indoctrination. As it is you lose even if you win because just fighting them will lead to becoming indoctrinated eventually.

jf8350143

Liturgist
just delete the blue and green ending, keep the red one but change the stupid "it will kill geth and edi" bullshit and it will be fine.

JDR13

Arcane
You literally couldn't pay me to play through that trilogy again. It wasn't all terrible, but it was decidedly mediocre for the most part, and there are too many better games to play nowadays.

Silly Germans

They are hard to replace if you look specifically for space/sci-fi action rpgs. I can't recall a single game that
scratches the same itch as ME1-3. There are similar games but none cover all the features that ME series
has.
Does someone know games in the same specific genre that are outright better than ME ?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I completely forgot about them. What kind of hysteria afflicted developers in the first decade of 2000? So many great games plagued by pointless shitty time-consuming minigames.

I've always assumed that Bioshock's massive success made everyone copy that aspect of it, but maybe there was an earlier example.

Silly Germans

They are hard to replace if you look specifically for space/sci-fi action rpgs. I can't recall a single game that
scratches the same itch as ME1-3. There are similar games but none cover all the features that ME series
has.
Does someone know games in the same specific genre that are outright better than ME ?

Knights of the Old Republic 1&2
Good games and overall better than Mass Effect. But quite different in the combat game play
department. I am looking for games that feature directly controlled combat like Mass Effect.

Silly Germans

Star Wars isn't comparable to Mass Effect, it's too fantasy.
I thought that for a moment too, but biotics and Asari are also quite "fantastic", likewise Omni tools. It's mostly
the tone and the atmosphere that sets them apart. The Star Wars universe could work very well as setting for a
darker/mature story.
The problem is that most content is always centered on Jedi and the force and that everything is always
written in a lighthearted manner, also suitable for children. The settings themselves share similarities. Id
say it sits somewhere between Star Trek and Star Wars on the Fantasy scala. I think its also easier to
imagine a action focused game like ME in the Star Wars Universe than the Star Trek setting.

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
just delete the blue and green ending, keep the red one but change the stupid "it will kill geth and edi" bullshit and it will be fine.

And maybe have the ultimate macguffin that was designed activate in a different way than shooting something until it blows up. I heard good things about buttons.
Or if you must absolutely for some reason have it activate by blowing something up, don't walk all the way up to the thing you're trying to blow up.

Still after all these years I haven't seen a more retarded cutscene than the mass effect 3 red ending.

Riel

Arcane
Star Wars isn't comparable to Mass Effect, it's too fantasy.
I thought that for a moment too, but biotics and Asari are also quite "fantastic", likewise Omni tools. It's mostly
the tone and the atmosphere that sets them apart. The Star Wars universe could work very well as setting for a
darker/mature story.
The problem is that most content is always centered on Jedi and the force and that everything is always
written in a lighthearted manner, also suitable for children. The settings themselves share similarities. Id
say it sits somewhere between Star Trek and Star Wars on the Fantasy scala. I think its also easier to
imagine a action focused game like ME in the Star Wars Universe than the Star Trek setting.
Actually you have Kotor 2 to perfectly prove that point. I liked Kotor I more when I was playing it for its simple and epic story, but Kotor 2 is the only game of the two that has left a lasting impression in me. Games that make you think and perhaps even learn something are few and scarce, Kotor 2 is one of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom