Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Discussion in 'BioWare' started by Vorark, May 7, 2020.

1. Daidre Arcane

Daidre
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I am going to say something awful...

I played ME 3 for the first time in 2020, always suspected that it sucks and turned out it even worse than that. And I am playing Andromeda now, got it for 2$ in russian money on some sale.

Honestly, I had almost abandoned Andromeda after prologue, mostly because I just could not get over how ugly everyone is. But I tried to give it second chance recently. Now I am around 70 hours mark and almost done, already 100%-ed all worlds.

Thing is, I actually enjoy playing Andromeda after almost forcing myself to get through ME3 due to my horrible completionist itch. And doing point by point comparison, imho:

- Main character. In short, I hated what Bioware did to Shepard in ME 3. They took character that I have considered mine and turned her into some whiny tryhard Messiah with all galaxy just not shutting up about how awesome she is. I know that stroking player's ego is important part of any game but holy shit, when everyone in the story beside MC and his team are comically inept and/or crazy evil, whole thing goes from meh to cringe in the second.

- Story. Just one word - cutscene. Half of the ME3 is a long boring (and often unskippable) cutscenes where everyone sound like a broken record: Reapers, Reapers, Reapers, please save us Shepard, you are so cool Shepard, world is a grimdark and you are our only hope Shepard... Some game devs just don't get that "press ESC to skip" is half of greatness. Andromeda is throughout mediocre in its story parts but at least it drops stupid cinematic dialogues right after prologue and lets me play the game.

- Combat. Only thing that I truly liked about ME3. Combo system is cool, shooting is pleasant and huge choice of the weapons help it a lot. Mission maps are expanded from the corridors of ME2 and mostly range from decent to good. But this is also one thing where any original Mass Effect loses to Andromeda hands down.

Because Andromeda is on Frostbite and you can feel a shootery pedigree of the engine in every shot you make. No retarded enemies that do not know how to flank or how to change cover, no covers that you need to manually stick to each time and no grenades that spawn under your feet with 100% precision. Everything is fast, fluid and operates in real 3d at last with enemies being aware of verticality and smart enough to use the shit out of it.

And it also takes ME3 classes and makes them even better with free mix and match for abilities and its "respec on the fly" profile system. Only downgrade is the lack of direct of control over the squadmates but they are no longer retarded and actually sturdy so it is ok for me - I still do most of the work on Insane but here I don't need to babysit the second half of my combo all the time.

- Exploration. I am that weird person who liked to drive Mako over half empty planets in first ME. So I like to do the same in Andromeda, but worlds are beautiful, not nearly as empty, have working Hazard systems, verticality, small hidden stashes and quests and even some dungeons with environmental puzzles. Of course it is not a Gothic, but it also way better than trash like copypasted Assasin Creeds or ME2-3 endless drab corridors.

So TL;DR version, I would actually approve more Andromeda from Bioware, and less ME3 and DA2. Inquisition is a hard comparison, since it has the same problems as Andromeda with quantity over quality, better story parts but worse open world and boring combat.

PS I guess playing The Outer Worlds was really a breaking point to lower my standards enough to enjoy reviled Mass Effect Andromeda. Or maybe I had never liked Mass Effect 2-3 enough to be uber butthurt about getting Andromeda instead of ME4.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    • Brofist x 5
    • Shit x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • decline x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Slaver1 Learned

Slaver1
    Mass Effect was so magic at the time of its release. A friend brought it to my doorstep out of the blue and I was amazed by it and pining for 2 by the end. Unfortunately, when the sequels arrived they felt much more lukewarm.

After The Witcher 3 it's even harder for me to enjoy the Mass Effect(Fitgirl) Legendary Edition or indeed any other post-BG2 TOB Bioware output, let alone drek like The Outer Worlds or Andromeda (which admittedly did feel better than the rest of the series from a gameplay perspective.)

^ Top  
  3. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    I don't really see how TOW being awful suddenly makes Andromeda worth playing, aren't they both bad? Or are you actually claiming Andromeda is significantly better than TOW?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    Bad game bad but skinner box design irresistible.

^ Top  
  5. Daidre Arcane

Daidre
    It is exactly what I claim. Cain and Boyarsky are indeed ended up making worse game than fucking Andromeda. Bioware's "masterpiece" is mediocre but playable when TOW is awful to the point of offensive.

I would really like to have some other sci fi RPG (or anything vaguely RPG-ish) released in last decade so I could point out how much both Andromeda and TOW suck in comparison but alas I know none(

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. jackofshadows Magister

jackofshadows
    Interesting comparison. I'd say both TOW and Andromeda thoroughly mediocre with Andromeda having much better exploration (minus horrible sudoku-related dungeons) and slightly better gameplay in general but somewhat more offensively bad dialogues and quests.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    Wtf

[​IMG]

• Funny x 8
    • incline x 1
    • No x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. J1M Arcane

J1M
    It has been part of the Origin subscription from Day 1. Maybe nobody is buying it when they can play it for $5/month and cancel when they are done. Thus, a giveaway to draw attention to the site.

^ Top  
  9. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    Well, when I clicked on it nothing happens so I guess it's a bug, funny though

• cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    Downloading now, god help me. Daidre you owe me 5 bucks if this game isn't better than TOW

• Funny Funny x 5
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Daidre Arcane

Daidre
    Only if you promise not to sue me for the psychological damage in the worst case scenario.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. tritosine2k Augur

tritosine2k
    Good enough, use shield drain as trigger for 2-3 ailment skills (weapons effects also count as ailment) and play on highest diff. It's a MUCH better shooter than cyberpunk...

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. J1M Arcane

J1M
    There's lots of cheese options in Andromeda. Like a sniper rifle that pierces objects combined with thermal vision. Or allocating points in skills you won't use to ratchet up the passive benefits.

^ Top  
  14. tritosine2k Augur

tritosine2k
    Not much cheese about ailment stacking and shield drain is just the tech equivalent of vanguard.

It's clearly better than CP it even had online at release (sarcasm) and less crafting idiosyncrasies.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    consider the following:

Samara is one of the few times Lawful Good has been done properly in video games

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Correct_Carlo Arcane

Correct_Carlo
    I was playing ME3 on insanity as an infiltrator and just got so fucking bored, so I restarted as a vanguard. Infiltrator kind of sucks. It's a stealth build for a game where stealth is impossible. You can do perfectly well hiding behind things and sniping from a distance, but it's very tedious. I played through all of ME2 with an infiltrator and just got bored of it. Although, now I have to replay the first 3 missions and ME3 doesn't let you skip like 50% of all cut scenes, which is fucking annoying.

^ Top  
  17. DDZ Red blood, white skin, blue collar Patron

DDZ
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I finished ME2 last night and Samara got killed because I couldn't stand the cunt. Mordin also died and that sucked because his dialogue was the best dialogue, he was the champion of giving useful information. And last and least Tali got killed which was fine because this Avatar looking bitch was already mad because I chose to update firmware of the Geth.

^ Top  
  18. DDZ Red blood, white skin, blue collar Patron

DDZ
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Oh scrap that, Samara was already dead and I was carrying her dumb ass daughter.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    you can just use the save editor to change your class
    https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectlegendaryedition/mods/20

• Yes Yes x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    What makes you say that?

[​IMG]

• Excited! x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Some of the addons to the justicar code are just lazy writing, like the part about being compelled to murder cops if detained more than a day even though your race lives 1000 years.

It also makes no sense that asari vampires are so prominent in their culture if there are only 3 of them that are sisters. Leads to things like hunting the same one for 400 years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Caim Arcane

Caim
    Aside from Samara's girls just about all of them in that monastery were turned into Banshees. On a related note, all her daughters being sex demons is likely why she doesn't want to fuck Shepard even though there is 0% chance them making another one.

^ Top  
  23. Daidre Arcane

Daidre
    Iirc, not all Ardat-Yakshi have a such severe condition as Samara's daughters and most of them just inflict paint at the different degrees to their partner, but not outright kill them. Justiciars work to find all of them, take them to the Monastery and over some time in isolation sort sane from crazy and let out those who is not considered a risk to society. Only those with one 100% lethal version are not given a choice and those are uber rare even among already rare condition that almost disappeared over last 3k years since Asari's first contact with aliens. And all this time they were actively mating with other species to wash out this mutation from their gene pool (only appears in the pure-bloods).

So yes, very prominent in their culture but another couple millennias of fucking everything that moves and Asari-vampires would be just a myth.

^ Top  
  24. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    Doesn't that bitch kill you if you keep her alive??

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Riddler Arcane Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Only if you fuck her. Otherwise she turns into a banshee in 3

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.