Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Discussion in 'BioWare' started by Vorark, May 7, 2020.

1. YldrE Educated

YldrE
    The Illusive Man did not have the power behind his ambitions, so yes, as far as Shepard knew, that was doomed to failure.

Imagine some idiot near the mafia skyscraper with a rusty revolver saying "I can smoke these assholes"; you painstakingly try to explain that the mafia can only be undone by carefully undoing their political connections, cutting off their money pipelines and removing their moles in the police forces. Then all of a sudden you're given command of three Tolkien dragons and a fleet of M1 Abrams; oh look, now the mafia HQ can be undone through brute force. The idiot with his revolver was "right" that force can be an option after all, but he was still in way over his head and you were right to treat him like an overly optimistic retard.

^ Top  
  2. Trojan_generic Magister

Trojan_generic
    Strap Yourselves In
    This kind of stories and games don't come out so often that one should just go and shit on their own story as an ending. Compare with Star Wars new episodes (not the Goofy ones, the 4th - 6th).
    Edit: I'm not saying those were much better. But think of the effort that went into creating the universe.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    ^ Top  
  3. Togukawa Savant Patron

Togukawa
    Such big budget sci fi rpgs are incredibly rare. The combination of the high production values and the most mindbogglingly retarded writing I have ever seen just pisses me off to no end.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. dukeofwoodberry Literate

dukeofwoodberry
    Shepard never said, "control is possible but not by you," he dismissed the very idea over and over again. It's terrible writing because they never lay the groundwork for control to be a viable option at any point of the trilogy.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. KVVRR Learned

KVVRR
    And that idiot's name?
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  6. Tyrr Savant

Tyrr
    When I say "The ME ending sucked", I mean most of ME3 sucked (ME3 is the ending of the ME trilogy).
    I hate that "95% of ME3 was great, just the last 15 minutes were bad" gaslighting.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. jackofshadows Magister

jackofshadows
    That's exactly how it was.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    The Cerberus grunts were super fun to fight in ME3. They had actual AI, flanked you and tossed grenades at you.

But boy the writing was cringe.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Caim Arcane

Caim
    Of the three games Mass Effect 3 had the best third-person shooting with the best arsenal and enemies, but it sucked as an RPG. Mass Effect 1 did it in reverse: it was the best RPG but the combat-related stuff was several kinds of ass. Having an ever-upgrading arsenal isn't bad, but the interface shouldn't be shit. Mass Effect 2 hovers in between.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    ME2 only hovers inbetween in that it has the worst elements of both. I don't really get how so many people consider it the best of the series, I assume it's a severe case of consolitis.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Caim Arcane

Caim
    Probably because the combat isn't as bad as it was in ME1, and the writing doesn't shit the bed as hard as it does in ME3. ME2's main story wasn't that compelling, and instead it was the episodic side stories that people preferred. But not being shit in two fields does not make a game good. It contrasted with ME1 in that the first game gave the world length, the second gave it width and the third shoved the long and wide thing up your ass.

^ Top  
  12. jackofshadows Magister

jackofshadows
    ME's a case of shippers.

^ Top  
  13. Tyrr Savant

Tyrr
    Yes, the combat/MP-mode was the only good part of ME3.

^ Top  
  14. Bad Sector Arcane Patron

Bad Sector
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
    ME2 is essentially a NOP as far as the overall story is concerned but has a focus on characters and most of the characters are interesting.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. dukeofwoodberry Literate

dukeofwoodberry
    The main story is boring but it's really more about the characters. Mordin is my favorite squadmate in the series, Garrus gets a hell of a lot more personality than ME1, Legion is one of the best written squadmates in the series (and gets ruined in 3,) Samara and Thane are pretty good, Grunt is cool, really everyone but Jacob is decent and even his loyalty mission is still interesting.

I also quite enjoy the suicide mission and thought the concept was unique where it's success depended on how thorough your playthrough was + your decision making. The first time I played the game, Thane died because I chose Miranda to create a biotic barrier for the team and it's a job better suited for a pure biotic. I like how it punishes you for making a simple mistake like that. By contrast, I really can't remember anything interesting about the final ME3 London mission besides thinking it was boring.

Even though the main story was relatively banal, it didn't offend people the way ME3's story did (and again it wasn't the main focus of the game while in ME3 it was.) I enjoy how ME2 felt like it wasn't really connected to the reaper plot (a frequent criticism) compared to the ME3 shitshow. I keep mentioning this but the dream sequences were so bad, such a hamfisted attempt at tugging at the players heartstrings and they have been widely panned. Nothing that cringe from ME2.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Only reason ME3 ending is worse than ME2 is because it's final, ME2 ending in a vacuum is far worse. Fucking giant mecha shepard.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. dukeofwoodberry Literate

dukeofwoodberry
    No, while it's bad, it doesn't actively shit on the lore and themes of the trilogy like the finale of ME3. A giant space laser than magically destroys all synthetics or blends organic/synthetic DNA into one being. How the fuck does that work in a universe that before ME3 had tried to explain how everything worked? The giant terminator guy was lame but Reapers had always abducted humans and made them into husks, the collectors just made a giant one.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    ME2 was supposed to be a middle part of a trilogy, an Empire strikes back of sorts. The way it should've been:

ME1: introduces the reaper threat
    ME2: sets up a way to deal with the reapers
    ME3: shows us the grand finale where Shepard defeats the reapers by using the solution from ME2

By ignoring the overarching plot, ME2 burdened ME3 with a bunch of additional bullshit to set up and explain.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    still better than giant mecha shepard

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. dukeofwoodberry Literate

dukeofwoodberry
    [​IMG]

ME3 also had good awful side quests and even the quest acquisition was extremely lazy writing.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Actually liked the conversations that slowly progress over the game, felt much better than NPCs who just stand around and say the same few lines the entire game.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. dukeofwoodberry Literate

dukeofwoodberry
    What way could they possibly write to deal with the reapers? It took everything humans and the council races had to deal with a single reaper, how are they going to deal with hundreds of reapers without a deus ex machina? Setting up a way to deal the reapers is a nearly impossible task.

^ Top  
  23. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Easy: The reapers should never have been able to get to the galaxy so quickly to begin with. That was the entire point of ME1.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    They probably did it like that for the same reason they did godawful sidequests in DA2 - lack of time.

^ Top  
  25. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Considering how fast reapers travel without relays(e.g., ME2 DLC sets them back what, a couple months at most?), the argument that they needed them at all is ridiculous.

ME would have probably been better off with REAPERS becoming a background plot item after ME1 tbh.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.