Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't understand how EA haven't killed Bioware yet. Bioware haven't released anything profitable since 2014. EA have destroyed studios for less.

Padzi

Arbiter
I found our man. Somehow his haircut was better (or maybe looked better) in the original also he didn't look like a moron.

d2da4928e0f1487d30c4561984a0aa0cadb6d284.png

ferratilis

Magister
If anyone ever asks "why do you like isometric RPGs?" just show them this remaster. It's pretty self-evident. I'd rather look at the same character portrait for 100 hours than any of these full 3D models tbh.

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
The original:
Desktop_Screenshot_2021.05.12_-_12.34.54.76.png

The remaster:
CxWoWdH.jpg

Ouch! Liara, I feel sorry for you.

this can't be real. i almost threw up. it's like they only used AI to upscale her textures or something which sucked the soul right out of her. also what the fuck did they do to kelly oh my god

Tytus

Arcane
The original:

The remaster:
CxWoWdH.jpg

this can't be real. i almost threw up. it's like they only used AI to upscale her textures or something which sucked the soul right out of her. also what the fuck did they do to kelly oh my god

Head over to NexusMods and you'll find mods for each game in the Mass Effect trilogy. Over a thousand of them, with some of the most popular the graphical overhauls A Lot of Textures and A Lot of Videos. BioWare is aware of these mods, and while working on Mass Effect Legendary Edition, used them as a benchmark.

"We actually early on looked at some of those," project director Mac Walters told me, "and said, 'OK, well, this is our minimum bar and from here we have to then go bigger, right?' Obviously they have limited access as a modder to the assets that are in there. We have full access to them."

Environment director Kevin Meek concurred, mentioning while he was initially sceptical of AI upscaling mods, when he looked closer he was impressed. "They're getting these great results with the A Lot of Texture mods and those other up-res ones," he said, "so that actually started us down that kind of the path with some confidence. We knew we could go in and hit base-level AI up-res on all the textures and receive the same amount of visual upgrade or even more than the mods because we have a lot of advantages they don't have. We get to work on the uncompressed source, full-resolution textures. Whereas what they have, it's been crunched down, it's been compressed, it's put onto a disc, and then they up-res off that."

This is exactly what they did.

Zibniyat

Arcane
What a disaster. It is funny, for a moment, and then you realise that the ugliness, sheer incompetence and idiocy is the "norm" for AAA studios now, at least with EA. Before one could at least count on them making good looking characters, better graphics and stuff, but now they're completely clueless and worthless in every way. Anyone paying for this shit deserves to be driven over by a tank.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
More ghoul faces and misapplied makeup:

nnBR49H.png

z85dlO7.png

BykEZOD.png

So. Bright.

Jr1tECm.png

Some of these characters' eyes look kind of dead:

zDn4LWE.png

Bioware adding some survival horror elements into the game:

Ce072tZ.png

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
The original:

The remaster:
CxWoWdH.jpg

I'm going to play this because I'm totally hyped, but I have to agree it looks like total shit. They just cheaply up-rezed all the textures without touching the models, so it looks glarringly awful, and then on top of that they removed ME's shadows and lighting which did much of the work of masking the flaws in the originals. So now everyone looks like brightly lit blow-up dolls. Liara just looks creepy, wrong, and downright worse than she used to in all of the screenshots I've seen so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom