Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect (PC).. first impressions; can't say I hate it

xuerebx

Erudite
I quite liked the game's story, especially at the end. And the combat was fun, so was the cinematic-type dialogue. Not a really deep game, but fun none the less. The Uncharted Worlds were boring though.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
I thought that female Shepherd had some pretty good dialog, though it was irritating when something that appeared mildly intimidating resulted in drawing a gun on some guy asking me for an autograph.

The game was okay, it has a cool setting, a few cool choices(most are on Vermire though), and a decent main plot for what it is. The thing that sucks the most about it is that almost all of the bullshit is a result of a design decision, and they could have made an infinitely better game with just a bit of shift in focus.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
ME was awesome. Some things can be made better but it's awesome. Better than BG, that's for sure. Or TOEE. No doubt about that. Not to mention *any* SW game. *puke* Or that overrated Diablo clone DD. HAHAHA!

Deleted member 7219

Volourn said:
ME was awesome. Some things can be made better but it's awesome. Better than BG, that's for sure. Or TOEE. No doubt about that. Not to mention *any* SW game. *puke* Or that overrated Diablo clone DD. HAHAHA!

I can think of three Star Wars games that were better than ME. TIE Fighter CD, Jedi Knight and KOTOR.

ME is a great game though, not denying that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"TIE Fighter CD, Jedi Knight and KOTOR."

Haven't played the first two so I won't compare. But, KOTOR? Fuck no. KOTOR is an average to good game. That's it. Vastly overrated. ME is, in fact, a super duper improved KOTOR. It's what KOTOR should have been. KOTOR is easily BIO's worse full fledge non expansion game. (* with only NWN OC being in the same realm of average to good)...

P.S. btw, SW in my post was not Star wars. It was Spiderweb. L0LZ

Mareus

Magister
Volourn said:

The subquests in ME were sure done better than in BG. And the character depth was done better too. Oh and the skills have much more sense. And you can have more party members too. And when I think about it, the battles were better too cause you don't have to use strategy. You just draw back and shoot. And ME is better cause your companions can't die, right? And there is more items. You also have more character development options, not to say more classes and races than in BG. And the dialogs where you can collar grab a guy is 10 times better than BG dialogs. Romances too. Yeah ME is better in everything than BG.

DefJam101

Arcane
Who the fuck necroed this thread?

Also, this:

Biggest complaint so far is the constant switching between serious sci-fi and B-movie cheese. Why can't they stick to one or the other?

-about sums up my complaints with ME, other than the shittier-than-shit combat. It's my favorite Bioware game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jesus of Nazareth said:
What the fuck does the c in cRPG even stand for? Classic RPG? Computer RPG? Crappy RPG? Cunt's RPG?

JESUS CHRIST! c as in Computer. Though many of the other options you listed could still apply.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Jaime Lannister said:
What shift in focus?

Well, they did C&C rather correctly with certain things. Like on Vermire you can choose to divert attention to the other side of the base at the expense of putting pressure on your allies who are there, or you can suck it up and deal with the messy business of 'being a good guy.' There are other instances of the cost of morality in the game, but they aren't nearly as prominent as they should be.

More politics, more dialog, more NPC party interaction(they had all sorts of potential here with the backstory), more no-win situations, less bare bones 'go here and find/kill/capture' quests and I think it could have been pretty cool. Of course, I realize that not everyone would really dig that, but I would.

DemonKing

Arcane
Finally finished last night (what can I say - it's tough finding time to game now I'm a dad). I did my usual first run through thing and did all the sidequests and listened to all the dialog through - took me about 40 hours all up.

Pros:

* Story was EPIC (but in a good way) - I particularly liked the end sequence from Ilos on.
* Most skills generally had a use (although I'm not sure if companions with high electronics scores helped you disarm stuff more easily).
* Good to look at - I was impressed also how your self-generated character's visage appearred in all the AAA cutscenes - not sure if I've seen that in a game before.
* Very cinematic feel - perhaps the first game where I felt that maybe the atmosphere would be better on my big ass plasma than on my computer screen (still don't have that console though...)

Cons:

* Sidequests were generally awful and repetitive (Mako lands on planet, drive to base, shoot stuff).
* Mako handling - why god why?
* Inventory clunky as all hell (especially when you reached the limit of stuff to carry and had to sift through and omni gel tons of stuff manually).
* Combat too easy. It didn't take me long before I stopped bothering with powers and tactics and just blazed away with my pistol...

I think I'll eventually replay it but will ignore all the sidequests - hopefully that will make for a more concentrated and shorter thrill ride.

Overall I rate it as slightly worse than the BG games/KOTOR but mainly because of the disappointing side questing. For fun I'll rate it about the same as JE.

Skankster

Novice
Would have been much better if they had not bothered with the sidequest worlds and instead made one or two more fully fleshed out worlds like the main storyline areas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom