Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect (PC).. first impressions; can't say I hate it

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
skyway said:
I alread said that it's hard to pay attention to such boring bland and non-existent story. so basically Volly - I've made 1 mistake but Mass Effect still sucks.
You know, you're starting to sound a whole lot like those ADD console kids you never stop bitching about.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Starwars said:
IMaybe having something like the KOTOR2 Ebon Hawk thing going on, where the characters interact with each other on the ship, would've been a good move here.

Um when you leave Citadel Station, that's exactly what you get.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
skyway said:
I alread said that it's hard to pay attention to such boring bland and non-existent story. so basically Volly - I've made 1 mistake but Mass Effect still sucks.
You know, you're starting to sound a whole lot like those ADD console kids you never stop bitching about.

I already stated my arguments about ME being the worst Bioware game earlier - from bland backstory and boring predictable main story to lack of consequences and lack of good secondary quests. only one of the arguments was incorrect and I agreed with it. now how does that make me like those ADD console kids I never stop bitching about?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
skyway said:
Fat Dragon said:
skyway said:

I already stated my arguments about ME being the worst Bioware game earlier - from bland backstory and boring predictable main story to lack of consequences and lack of good secondary quests. only one of the arguments was incorrect and I agreed with it. now how does that make me like those ADD console kids I never stop bitching about?
Probably for your excuse of not knowing about the game's ending segment. You got pretty much everything about it wrong, and your excuse for that was "well I didn't pay attention to teh game it was too boring lol", followed by a childish comment like "this game sucks!" Get it now? That's the kind of shit I've heard the ADD kids say quite a bit.

Like Volourn said, it's hard to take you're criticisms about the game's storyline seriously when you admit you didn't even pay much attention to it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
Probably for your excuse of not knowing about the game's ending segment. You got pretty much everything about it wrong, and your excuse for that was "well I didn't pay attention to teh game it was too boring lol", followed by a childish comment like "this game sucks!" Get it now? That's the kind of shit I've heard the ADD kids say quite a bit.

Like Volourn said, it's hard to take you're criticisms about the game's storyline seriously when you admit you didn't even pay much attention to it.

yes I know. I do agree that I didn't pay much attention in the -end- which led to this, however I did pay attention before and my previous arguments weren't disproved.
yet don't exaggerate what I said - there was no "omg lolz" - I really found the storyline to be greatly inferior to other games and too boring, containing tons of cliches I've seen before.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"that some parts of the dialogues were so boring that my mind was wondering off making me think about something else + translation which didn't help much."

"now how does that make me like those ADD console kids I never stop bitching about?"

LMAO It's because you sound like the people who dislike PST, and bash it for it's wiriting and then go on to say soemthing about the agme that is a complete fabrication that anyone who has played the game knows it is bullshit, and when called on it claim that it 'is so boring so I wans't really paying attention'.

And, what does the Codex do these poor souls? Oh yeah, Slam dunk them with accusations of them having ADD. guess what?That's what happened here, DUDE.

You are getting SKOOLED - Codex Style over a game that the Codex isn't even a big fan of. LMFAOAOYFUYTDYAHAHAHGAHA!

MetalCraze

Arcane
I admit that by the very end of the game - which was like 30 minutes long - I wasn't paying much attention to the storyline. it doesn't make it better though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
My roommate LOVES jRPGs.

But he -always- skips the cutscenes and story. He plays them for the combat and the grinding.

Yeah I don't know either.

gamefan

Scholar
Jasede said:
My roommate LOVES jRPGs.

But he -always- skips the cutscenes and story. He plays them for the combat and the grinding.

Yeah I don't know either.
Kill him in his sleep

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Thems fighting words.

P.S. ME is awesome. This is undisputable.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
No. The mini games aren't. It's horrid.

Chefe

Erudite
After a delay I started playing this again. I started a new character because my old one had gotten so mixed up in a bunch of dumb FedEx sidequests in that confusing as fuck first city.

I made it out and now I'm on some planet named Turok, or whatever. I'm playing on veteran difficulty because I thought that would offer some challenge. Unfortunately, the only way to die is to run right in the middle of a dozen enemies. As soon as you start using cover (boxes! there are boxes everywhere!) gun fights become more of a chore. Okay, so this super advanced AI universal scourge should provide some good challenge, right? Well it did, until I found out the geth's weakness. They don't have any peripheral vision. I can drive right up to them in my go-kart from hell, and as long as I move from left to right, I'm invincible. They also shoot slow as fuck, so all you really need to do is move left to right every once in a while.

The other species must be incredibly stupid if they haven't figured this out after three hundred years and millions of deaths. It took me about twenty minutes, and that's only because the damn car controls like a schizophrenic hamster.

I wish I could skip over all this combat and get back to the dialog.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
That's bull. The main quest is filled with dialogue, lots of which is rather good.

Skyway should give that "everything sucks" thing he has going a rest. It's incredibly old and shallow by now.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I didn't say everything in Mass Effect sucks. there is just too much stuff that ruins the fun.
like f.e. one of the pretty good things was the character background. it was nice to see how people are asking or talking about it at first. but then you understand that it won't go beyond simple talks.
or punching a reporter in the face - and then instead of some penalty getting just "we can't treat press like this" and nothing else considering that all dialogue choices I made with admiral omg bishop were basically "screw you/screw her"
first they give you an illusion of choice and then you understand that it does not matter at all and it's railroad, baby. goddamnit even dialogues after that "sex scene" are railroaded just along with that codex joke "this was amazing/this was amazing/wanna go again?".
the impressions with characters are "nice voice-overs" but then you understand how bland are they. none of the characters made me care about them at all. they all felt like something Bioware showed us for multiple times.
I didn't really see any "rather good" dialogue. all my impressions were from "oh no it's like that shitty andromeda with that hercules guy" to "but I've already heard this before somewhere"

I was looking for combat as a good thing initially, though I still had my doubts about it.
and at first combat was good and fun. but then the understanding came that you will have a combat like this till the end of the game. level design also doesn't help. mostly it felt like "what?". as Chefe pointed out there are boxes/stones/another cube looking cover everywhere. well it doesn't feel real. it's like someone specially placed them knowing that Shepard just will land on that planet and will run there shooting robots with an intelligence of those guys from early '90s shooters.
and then there's Mako stuff. probably the dumbest bioware's gameplay choice among all the gameplay choices they've ever made. and mini-games. I fucking hate that dumb "there are yellow blocks and red blocks which are moving - help a little arrow to get to the central circle to win and survey these minerals or unlock the code yay!" shit that you have to play for almost everything in the game. I can't imagine anyone enjoying this.

Starwars

Arcane
Um when you leave Citadel Station, that's exactly what you get.

I mean the NPCs interacting with each other. I never got that at least, I do know you can go and talk to them.

Anyways, I just finished the game. It was all-right, but nothing I'll replay anytime soon (if ever). Don't get me wrong, I would actually like to see how some different choices look and play out, but the non-dialogue gameplay (meaning combat and driving) sucks. Especially the driving is bloody awful. Combat is not as bad (actually, prolly the best combat system in the recent Bioware games) but still pretty bland.

The story is pretty fun, and does the whole Sci-Fi thing pretty well. But well, it doesn't feel heavy enough to carry the game either. Perhaps it will all work grand when the entire trilogy is out. The whole cinematic thing is honestly something I don't see the big fuzz about. I was expecting a lot more, but the conversations kinda look like a slightly more cinematic Witcher. There are some nice cutscenes though, some of which are nicely directed. But really, this was not even close to what I expected (for good and bad).
Also, some of the sidequests and situations on Citadel station are pretty interesting and well done. Just let me skip the awful planetary ones.

The characters were nice, and I thought they were pretty likeable and not at all over the top like Biowares characters tends to be. Unfortunately, I felt they dried up pretty fast in terms of when you interact with them. Still, they were probably the best part of the game for me.

With the exception of NWN1 (without the mods that is) this is probably my least favourite Bioware game so far. I was absolutely not expecting something to my personal tastes, but I must say that I was still a bit underwhelmed. Once again, I don't really see what the hype around this game about. It's definetely worth a try, but far from what I would call great.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Like i said not a must buy.
If you haven't picked it up yet wait for the bargin bin version which will probably be the GOTY version with the addon thats out for the 360 version.
Then buy it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Aye. I wouldn't recommend it anymore. It's quite a hard thing to take. Especially with the forced tank driving for every mission. They have something going in here but never capitalize. I was getting Star Trek away team vibes here with the way I pick my team. But it seems no matter what, I will need a techie and decrypter to salvage & hack stuff.

I love the post mission de-briefing tho, and council reports allowing you to justify whatever you did, despite it not having any future consequences (don't you just love it when you can wave the middle finger at your boss and get away with it EVERYDAY?)

Chefe

Erudite
Are there any planets that aren't a sea of brown?

Also, which party members are the best to have around story-wise? I don't really care about any of them, and they always get killed two seconds into a fight, so I might as well bring along the ones that provide the most dialog.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Angler said:
Are there any planets that aren't a sea of brown?

Yes. The Moon of Earth, Sol is well.. grey... and do that quest ASAP.. you get a l33t bonus! There are also a few green planets.

Also, which party members are the best to have around story-wise? I don't really care about any of them, and they always get killed two seconds into a fight, so I might as well bring along the ones that provide the most dialog.

It sadly does not matter who you bring. (I re-loaded an area and chose different companions, and nothing changed dialog wise when I went through it again). I only did this on 1 area, but I assume it is the same overall.

If you get tired of dying, just bring Tali & Liara with you. You will 0wn all combat. And well give them very good Pistols and Armor as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom