Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect (PC).. first impressions; can't say I hate it

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Dialog does change depending you have. Not as it could have; but it does.

And, if your companions die withins econds of battle; you suck. Mine last quite a bit. You do realize that the orders actually work right? If they are taking shots order them back. Duh.

MetalCraze

Arcane
you will get some additional dialogue for Liara that does not matter at all though and is quite boring - if you bring her with you to Noveria to meet the final "boss" of that level.
and by boring I mean the cheese in star wars the return of jedi style when Vader becomes good before he dies.
additionally some party members will even directly tell you to take Liara with you if you will want to have more dialogue between her and the "final boss". I really dislike the moments when your companions act like they are ten times smarter than shepard. like it is hard to understand that if there's her mother on the planet you should take her.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I played it a Bit yesterday.

I got to a Level where i had to drive that dam space gocart around on a mining world.
After 10 Mins or so the Gocart tiped over and slowly slid out into a pool of lava.

So some 8 hours in and all i can say is i don't hate it, but i don't like it either i am very very indifferent about it.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Typical Locue rant mode engaged. Reply "tl,dr" or "I agree, you sexy viking".

Alright, so I finished the game today. Max renegade points, of course, with a female Shepard because the male voice actor pissed me off. The fuck am I supposed to feel like Jack Bauer in space with such a pussy speaking for me? Real heroes have a sore throat, dammit! They sound like they got bottlefed Jack Daniels, rolled inside a carpet smoking a big fat blunt and suffocated and then woke up six feet under, and dug their way out using only fingernails and a positive attitude realizing that God himself resurrected them so they could keep on being a drunk motherfucker! So I picked me a Shepard of the other sex and ended up with Jennifer Hale instead, the woman who gave me orgasms playing Quest for Glory 4. Bless you, Jennifer.

So impressions! Well, ordinary Bioware game, no surprises whatsoever, although definitely one of their best. I could go on and on about the things I liked, like the blue lesbian alien species and how fun it would be to see Hamlet without emotion, but that wouldn't do much so here's what I didn't like!

Too long, didn't read: Dialogue is shit.
The conversations and the conversations system! I can't remember if Bioware ever called this thing revolutionary or hyped it's ass off, but I thought it was a big bag of shit when I played. So it helps conversations flow more naturally, fuck that. That's shit. Most of the time, the conversations won't sound good anyway with the half-assed dialogue Shepard has and even so, he only have one sentence for every topic - usually "What can you tell me about (...)?" "Well, Shepard here's what I can tell you about (...)!" I'm a fucking writer so this is what makes me tick and ultimately blow up. Bad dialogue. Send the motherfuckers to school.

I kind of see what Yahtzee meant now with his review. I still like lengty dialogue, but this kind? Not so much. In fact, it's really shit. Shepard says his opening line (what can you, yeah) and immediately he gets pissed on with information with no chance for interuption (how rude!) or inquiries. More in-depth questions about the topic will have to wait until the information has been passed on. Then, and only then, can Shepard continue his investigation about the stealth system with a sound and resolute "what can you tell me about (...)?" I know I shouldn't be frustrated, but this is not what I call good, natural well-flowing dialogue. This is just absolute shit.

Also, Bioware have done more of their trademark "extra dialogue options that lead to the exact same fucking response." At one point I had the option of answering my commanding officer with the following responses "A warning", "war" and "our destruction". All three responses are fairly different and should have been treated this way. If Bioware wants to be taken seriously as a creative force of game developer nature they insist on being called, and isn't that cute?, they need to start seizing this type of potential instead of just being lazy and give us the same fucking "I dunno what I saw. Robots killing stuff. Fucking hell, Captain Vhaillor!" for all three fucking options! As far as I'm concerned, Bioware have always been children pretending to be adults.

I'll take as much of Jennifer Hale as I can, any day of the week, but not if she comes in to work with lines like this.

Also: Grey DeLisle.

Too long didn't read: the story is entertaining, but shit.
I can imagine they watched Starship Troopers a lot making this game, because the game plays a lot like a b-movie except that it's not a good one.

Before I forget, I have to get this off my chest: riding the many fucking elevators in the game, every now and then you get to hear Cam Clarke - I think it's Cam Clarke at least, my apologies if it's some other dude with a fairly english accent - read the galactic news, often with a funny joke stuffed inside. That's good, mainly because of the voice actor (I like Cam Clarke and his soundalikes) but also because they make the fucking elevator rides go "faster".

So anyway, story: you hear a rumor that every 50,000 years a race of evil robots come back to destroy all life, so you and your multicultural crew of misfits and whiners are sent out to stop them.

I couldn't have written a more epic story. You rock, Bioware.

Too long didn't read: I know I've met these NPCs before...
Okay, seriously. I know there's only been KOTOR, Jade Empire and Mass Effect but I'm already sick of these characters.

How many more Canderous Ordo Black Whirlwind Wrex characters can I handle? Surprisingly a lot more than I can handle Carth Onasi-Raphael Sbarge Sky-voiced by dreamy Cam Clarke Kaidan Alenko-back to Raphael Sbarge characters. Sure, there's some difference but honestly, Bioware: sit your asses down somewhere and stop recycling. I don't know if sitting down actually helps this process but I like to think it does, so do it. Just do it.

Too long didn't read: planetary exploration? More like planetary exploration!
Yeah, couldn't come up with anything. You gonna hold that against me? Fucker. Planetary exploration is shit. Assignments (side quests) are fine but what the fuck, you telling me nobody's ever scouted the planet for minerals and shit but they had all the time in the world to build research labs and gunnery stations and McDonalds over the place? Bullshit. But I did it anyway with my trusty jumping space jeep.

Also: Halo.

Too long didn't read: I liked fucking the blue alien.
"But, Andy, you swedish commando, you ask. What the hell did you like about the game? You said you think it's one of Bio's best games!!"

Yeah, I know. I lied.

Mass Effect have some qualities, and it's by no means a terrible game, but as it's a Bioware-game, chances are you've probably already seen these qualities receive better execution in a better game from the same developer. But it's shinier than KOTOR and that probably means something.

FUN FACT: Mass Effect on max settings runs BETTER than KOTOR with max settings. I don't have the technical skills to understand why this is but I think it's great and I think you should too. Technical optimization, whoo-hoo!

100% of the game completed and I have some sort of stupid Xbox achievement medal to prove it even though I'm on PC. It took seventeen hours but I'm probably a bit slow. By the way, did I mention that I engaged in lesbian sexual activities with a blue hundred year old alien with hair that looks like a bicycle helmet?

That was cool, man.

LESBIANS!

Chefe

Erudite
I think you're really Yahtzee in disguise, Locue.

Jaesun said:
It sadly does not matter who you bring. (I re-loaded an area and chose different companions, and nothing changed dialog wise when I went through it again). I only did this on 1 area, but I assume it is the same overall.

If you get tired of dying, just bring Tali & Liara with you. You will 0wn all combat. And well give them very good Pistols and Armor as well.

Thanks.

Volourn said:
And, if your companions die withins econds of battle; you suck. Mine last quite a bit. You do realize that the orders actually work right? If they are taking shots order them back. Duh.

Why do I need to bother with orders when I can take on an entire geth fleet using a fucking pistol? All the companions can possible do at this point is either heal me or speed up my winnin'. Sometimes they don't die, though. That's when they stand behind a large object and do nothing. Ashley does this alot. I try to talk to her and she's all "Not in the middle of a fight!" What fight? I'm the one doing all the fucking fighting you lazy bitch.

Do I have to do some kind of quest to fuck her? Tell me so I can get it over with.

skyway said:
you will get some additional dialogue for Liara that does not matter at all though and is quite boring - if you bring her with you to Noveria to meet the final "boss" of that level.
and by boring I mean the cheese in star wars the return of jedi style when Vader becomes good before he dies.
additionally some party members will even directly tell you to take Liara with you if you will want to have more dialogue between her and the "final boss". I really dislike the moments when your companions act like they are ten times smarter than shepard. like it is hard to understand that if there's her mother on the planet you should take her.

Thanks. I'll probably set her out for that mission.

Castanova

Prophet
If you want to bone, you just need to make sure you talk to your target once after every main storyline mission. I did Ashley and saw her naked thighs. :oops:

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
You see a butt too. Just talk to them every time you return to your ship. I did the Liara mission last so I didn't get to bone her, but I found her so annoying that it wouldn't have been worth it anyway.

AND THE SEX SCENE IS THE SAME WITH BOTH CHICKS! WHATTEFUCK IS THAT? THEY DO THE SAME MOVES AND EXPRESSIONS AND THE CAMERA MOVES THE SAME FFS BULLSHIT I CHECKED ON UTUBE!!!1

MetalCraze

Arcane
the "sex" scene is lame anyway. plus Ashley has some incredibly edgy low-poly butt and tits.
however the dialogue that comes after it is orgasmic

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Locue, I agree with everything, you sexy viking. Funnily enough I still enjoy ME for quite a bit. Lets just hope that the sequell will be to ME what BG2 was to BG1. Or something.

Oh, and Angler? When you give orders (press space to get into the order screen) the companions can be quite effective. I usually put them in places where they can give support fire and this seems to be working quite well. Especially with enemies that charge directly at me and into a crossfire. Funnily enough about 50% of all enemies seem to do this. The combat could use some work.

The sex scenes and romance dialogues made me cringe allready when I played this on my xbox in from of my GF. No way am I going to repeat that humiliating memory.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Angler said:
I think you're really Yahtzee in disguise, Locue.
It's actually the other way around. We have an identity crisis.

I gotta say, though, that I really enjoyed Mass Effect for what it was right up to the point where they send you packing and unleash the whole galaxy exploration thing in your face. It just put me off. It's ridiculous but I honestly could've spent a few more hours running around in Citadel doing stuff there, providing of course that there was stuff to do. I've never been much of a fighter in RPGs and I'm definitely not a driver-gunner. Fucking jumping Halo Mako beep jeep shit.

The sex scenes were definitely nothing to write home about, and I can't understand the controversy they stirred up. I mean, you don't see anything "incriminating" but a naked *anything* is apparently enough to make people jump. It reminds me about that Disney-girl who posed for "nude" photos where you could see her naked shoulder. Whatever. It's harmless.

Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) also had a sex scene, two even. There were of course not any lesbians involved but I like to think a girl fucking some kind of weird zombie Matrix guy is a lot more icky for the crusaders. Anyone know if that game stirred up any controversy? Dammit, it even had NIPPLES!

somnium

Scholar
Trash said:
Locue, I agree with everything, you sexy viking. Funnily enough I still enjoy ME for quite a bit. Lets just hope that the sequell will be to ME what BG2 was to BG1. Or something.
:) They actually said that's what they're aiming for link

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Off the Official ME Strat Guide
Some of the largest morality point payouts in Mass Effect come from using persuades at critical moments. It doesn’t matter if you utilize Charm or Intimidate: The basic outcome of a persuade is always the same. The only difference is found in the dialogue: The verbiage changes to fit with the spirit of the conversation.

If they can fix this in the sequel, it'd be a much better overall game.

Chefe

Erudite
I'm going to forget I just read that and try to enjoy the rest of the game. I will, however, trade it in after I'm done (Soul Calibur IV, baby!).

MetalCraze

Arcane
Some of the largest morality point payouts in Mass Effect come from using persuades at critical moments. It doesn’t matter if you utilize Charm or Intimidate: The basic outcome of a persuade is always the same. The only difference is found in the dialogue: The verbiage changes to fit with the spirit of the conversation.

oh ffs :lol:

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah i am going with the oh FFS to...

They are not even pretending any more are they...
Bioware you have fallen so far. So very far.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Waaa waaa! It's not like this wasn't known before you all bought or stole the game. Morons.

It's strictly a role-playing choice. Oh noes!

P.S. As for as role-playing goes, they are light years ahead of what theyw ere in BG. LMAO

Angler said:
I'm playing on veteran difficulty because I thought that would offer some challenge.

After finishing the game for the first time i discovered the only way to get some challenge out of Mass Effect is the following one:

1. Uninstall the game to clean all acomplishment bonus you may have.
2. Reinstall.
3. Enter the game, exit the game. (may not be necesary, i do not remember if the game's create your profile right from the start or after the first time you enter the main menu)
4. Using a Hex editor or the tools that can be found on Bio's forums hack your profile to add yourself the acomplishment for Insane dificulty and none other.
5. Play on insane with a newly created non-combat class: Adept, Sentinel, Tech-Guy.

So you have Insane dif without the bonus from acomplishments and with a character low on the combat survival department - Thus having your companions die on you is not an option. Oh, and do not take any of the two skills to revive your companions.

Texas Red

Whiner
So you can unlock a difficulty with some points? Lame and consolized.

What's the deal with retard friendly difficulty, anyway? How dumb do you have to be to realize that people want challenge. Do they think that some reviewer will complain that he had to move his brain gears on a boss level? Do they really believe that this is going to affect sales?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom