Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect Mass Effect Series Retrospective by Shamus Young

Discussion in 'BioWare' started by Infinitron, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Drax Arcane

Drax
    The federation didn't have free energy, they had abundant enery by today's standards but every other episode they were talking about refueling, scouting asteroids for dilithium and shiet.

^ Top  
  2. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    A good way of looking at it is that any individual's consumption wouldn't even be a blip on the radar of an antimatter reactor. Heck, ALL the individual consumption wouldn't be. Similarly, the Federation has machines that can assemble at a sub-atomic level.

The effectively free energy and free FTL are consequences of advanced technology removing scarcity because the resources they make available vastly outstrip all need.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Theldaran Liturgist

Theldaran
    ...But hybrids are hot. Even though, it's hotter to have sex with asaris without getting them pregnant. Another advantage of Liara's over Asshole-y.

• incline incline x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Star Trek is not hard sci-fi. Technobabble does not turn space opera into hard sci-fi. Arguing whether ME is harder or softer than B5 or ST is completely pointless - they are all as soft as a string of wet pasta. The only hard sci-fi games that I can think of off the top of my head are Buzz Aldrin's Race to Space (in the final segment where you go to Mars goes from science fact to science fiction) and Rendezvous with Rama (based as it is on the acclaimed Arthur C Clarke books).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Drax Arcane

Drax
    KSP

^ Top  
  6. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Shamus the shameless anus.

• Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Slam dunk! x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    :necro:

There will be an updated ebook version of this retrospective in time for the Legendary Edition:

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Ol' Willy Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Ol' Willy
    Imagine reading the book about Mass Effect games, lol

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Nutria Cipher Patron

Nutria
    Strap Yourselves In
    Unironically might be better than actually playing them.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    Hmmm i had an interesting dream. So mates,anyone else thinks that krogans are the most retarded scifi race and their plot is filled with stupid plotholes????

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    I liked Krogans. Uplifted warrior race that ended up being a threat to the race that uplifted them, had to be near-sterilized to prevent them from burning everything to the ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    As a core idea it is nice,but the lore is a mess. They had a bunch of planets that colonized,but they didn't have space ships and had the turrians cargo carry them to the battle lines. Then they win and become a thread....when they still don't have space ships lol. It is idiotic,they could just bomb them from orbit and move on,the whole genophage shit was useless. Also the population birth lore was mega retarded,lol 1000 kids per woman per year. It is seems like most retarded shit i have seen. If they had such population capacity they would have destroyed their habitat long time before turrians came.

Also they didn't look intimidating.

^ Top  
  14. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Salarians gave them ships and taught them how to use them.
    They have no ships and must be ferried in ME3 because they've been demilitarized for centuries by that point.
    There are plenty of species on earth that have similar reproduction methods. Krogans (to me, at least) seemed to be very similar in design to certain turtles. A leatherback sea turtle has a clutch size of 100-150, many of them never making it to adulthood and are easy prey from eggs until they're adults. About 1 in 1,000 leatherback sea turtles survive from egg to adulthood.
    OTOH, adult leatherback sea turtles are capable of killing sharks in self-defense.

Krogan population became a problem specifically because they were now capable of defending their young. The way they evolved meant that they would now reproduce rapidly, at a rate much faster than nearly any other sophont species.
    The genophage, while likely too much, was in fact just putting their reproduction back to where it belongs. The genophage wasn't a curse, it was the only thing stopping the other species from simply deciding to wipe krogans out of the universe before they do it to them.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Nutria Cipher Patron

Nutria
    Strap Yourselves In
    I find it plausible that there could be a species that isn't capable of building spaceships but knows how to use them. Do you know how to build a car? I sure fucking don't. The skills to make something and the skills to operate it are different.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Krogans definitely knew how to build the tech required after being uplifted and being taught how, they simply weren't allowed to.
    One of the main characters in Andromeda is a Krogan scientist.

IIRC, krogans advanced to a suitable technology level to bomb their world back to the stoneage with nuclear bombs. They had a high fertility rate because Tuchanka isn't a very nice place to live and most of them died before they reached adulthood -- again, IIRC.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    That is not true.
    They were ferried in the rachnid war too.

They are not a ton heavy turtle. If a specie evolved with such reproduction and lived for 1000 years,it would have self destroyed long ago. It would either had adapted a new way of reproduction or run out of resources. Imagine every cunt on earth was giving a birth to 1000 retards every year,we would have been fucked fast. Also gene shit was bad,they should have left every woman and man reproductive but decreased the number of legs they could lay,to just a few. They just sterilised the most of the population,which is mega retarded. That way most people just get angry and nasty.

^ Top  
  18. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    Evolution on Earth is already often weird, imagine how much weirder it might get on other planets.

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    Sure,but they won't be galactic thread. Production of new ships is important,or they could just shoot them down and win the war. A bunch of stranded colonies are easy target to a space fleet.

^ Top  
  20. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    It isn't because there is no life on other planets.:smug:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    Nah Nano ,you argue that there is life out there. I am just putting out the facts. Either post a proof of existing live in the universe or fuck off!

^ Top  
  22. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Yes, it is. See the next part.

Krogan rebellion happened after the rachni wars.
    They were heralded as heroes and given whatever they wanted after the rachni wars were won.

They did. They blew Tuchunka up with nuclear weapons during wars caused by Krogan overpopulation due to their birthrate exploding.
    From the game's codex on Krogans:
    They didn't completely sterilize them, they just made the eggs far less fertile.

Also lending credit to the theory that they're based on leatherback sea turtles, the genophage was designed to limit the viability of krogan eggs to 1 in 1000.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    I will after you post proof of God's existence.

• what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. fantadomat Arcane Edgy

fantadomat
    What God has to do with this ?

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Universe? Try galaxy.
    The Milky Way contains between 100 and 400 billion planets. The odds that we're on the only rock in the galaxy with life is really, really low.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.