Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Matt Chat 196: Lord British on Ultima and Akalabeth

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Akalabeth: World of Doom; Matt Barton; Richard Garriott; Ultima; Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness

It turns out Matt Barton wasn't quite done with Richard Garriott yet. The latest episode of Matt's show is a short interview with Lord British about the beginning of his career. It's actually rather eclectic, with a surprising focus on Garriot's literary inspirations and his experience in world design, as well as various technical issues he encountered on the Apple II back in the day.

Seriously though Matt, he's no Tolkien.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  2. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
    Still missing the anwer to the incredibly obvious question everyone wants to ask him, though…

If you spent 30 mirrion dorra to go to the moon or where the fuck did you go, why do you need kickstarter to finance a game?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    He already gave an anwser. He spent much money on funding his studio already. He don't want to fully fund the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    i completely missed this
    where did he say it?
    Thanks in advance Mr. Barton.

also, 30 millions he can spend, 1 million he can't?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    You should really do a least a little bit a research first. The game costs much more than 1 million. He already has private investors, and he's spent his own money on Portalarium. The kickstarter was basically for a little extra money on top.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    I don't remember, maybe in a previous Matt Chat, or a written interview.

^ Top  
  7. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    i did, when this kickstarter thing first came out. then i lost interest. interviews were about "lol consoles are dead" "lol game designers suck", etc...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    He may be mad, be he's still a mad genius.

^ Top  
  9. Fat Dragon Arbiter

Fat Dragon
    Too bad this mad genius hasn't produced anything worth a damn in almost 20 years now. Shroud of the Avatar doesn't really excite me either. Would like to be proved wrong, but for now I'm looking at Divinity Original Sin as the real Ultima spiritual successor.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Another? When will Matt start making interviews about true forgotten designers or obscure ones, instead of turning his show into a giant infommercial? I like all of his guests, but it's becoming a bit much if he's turning into the Sham Wow guy.

Jakab, tell him to take a little break or something.

^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

posted after five straight episodes with Neal Hallford, who is possibly the most underappreciated RPG designer ever

^ Top  
  12. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    The ratio is still out of whack. Also Matt actually sort of decries this behavior in his blog posts, and yet he continuously keeps at it. Also as much as I love Neal, to be perfectly honest he had a Kickstarter as well.

^ Top  
  13. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    isn' t hallford the betrayal at krondor guy? who underappreciates him? on the codex, at least...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron

Well, he has one more interview with Garriott and he's probably been waiting for a chance to post these since the SotA Kickstarter (Matt seems to have quite the backlog). We'll see what comes after that.

^ Top  
  15. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Episode 200 HAS to be about the release of Grimoire, with a massive interview with the J.R.R. Tolkien of the last 20000 generations, THE CLEVELAND.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  16. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Yes, Cleve has to be on that show.

^ Top  
  17. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    My God... Garriott sounds sane and coherent. This would have been easier to watch if he was wearing a tin foil hat or a paper mache crown.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Yes, his ideas about world design are basically solid. I can only assume that at some point in the 90s he failed to realize, or perhaps failed to impart to his employees, just how important those ideas were.

A strong design philosophy isn't worth much if the entire company isn't on board. You can bet that every developer at Obsidian knows the "Obsidian way".

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    "Promise big, fall short, support community patches."

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    10 videos about modern designers vs at least 50 about oldtimers. Yeah, what a horrible ratio.

^ Top  
  21. Davaris Australian Game Developers Developer

Davaris
    Getting Richard to describe his design process was great. Thanks Matt!

^ Top  
  22. Shaewaroz Arcane Patron

Shaewaroz
    In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
    Richard sure knows how to praise himself. :) Great interview, lots of interesting stuff.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.