Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 458: Brian Fargo and David Rogers on Wasteland 3

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; David Rogers; inXile Entertainment; Matt Barton; Wasteland 3

After Wasteland 3 was released in August, Brian Fargo was interviewed about the game for a number of podcasts. Now it's our friend Matt Barton's turn to join in. Matt was apparently too busy to split the interview, so it's presented as one huge episode. For the first 55 minutes of the episode Brian was joined by lead designer David Rogers. Together they answered questions about topics such as Wasteland 3's toaster repair skill, humor in games, working with VR, David's past work on the US military simulation game America's Army, making Wasteland 3's Collector's Edition, and the challenges of working during the COVID pandemic. Brian and David are pleased with how Wasteland 3's moral dilemmas turned out, though they admit that certain elements had to be cut when they become uncomfortably close to contemporary real-life politics. On the mechanics side, David explains how inXile made the game's combat flow faster by implementing concurrent movement for enemies and making battles more lethal in general. He intends to continue tuning it, including by making enemies less likely to waste their attacks on the party's animal followers.

The interview part of the episode is followed by a lengthy 40 minute Q&A segment with Brian Fargo. Here he answers questions about topics such as the making of Wasteland 1, future games from inXile and upcoming Wasteland 3 DLC, working with Krome Studios and with Chris Bischoff, the advantages of becoming a part of Microsoft, the possibility of making Meantime after all (sounds unlikely), inXile's experience with the Unity and Unreal engines, the failure of Bard's Tale IV and the fate of the Bard's Tale franchise, the possibility of a Torment: Tides of Numenera Director's Cut (no way), and more. It's a decent enough interview, but I hope Matt returns to his episodic format when he can. His next interview will be with the aforementioned Chris Bischoff.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Tom Baker's Arse unfortunately if you look at inXile’s track record, it’s entirely expected. Mediocre maps, art, and half baked systems and itemization are the names of the day.

WL3 sounds like it may not be trash, but there’s so many shit slurpers here it’s hard to tell.

Gordian Nutt

Educated
The voice acting in WL3 is very false is the only bad thing that I can say about it so far

Generally not a big fan of inXile games because either quickly or not they seem to disappoint. I did not like Numenera and thought it did not understand its own principles.

I did not play Bard's Tale IV - I heard it would not be a good experience beforehand so did not want to waste time on it

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Are WL2 and 3 worth a shot?

WL3 is more polished and 'complete' an experience, there is valid criticism that the second 1/2 of Wastland 2 is rushed and unfinished.
WL2 is still very much worth a look though if it turns out you enjoyed WL3. It's not like there is any real spoliers by playing 3 first imo.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Tom Baker's Arse unfortunately if you look at inXile’s track record, it’s entirely expected. Mediocre maps, art, and half baked systems and itemization are the names of the day.

WL3 sounds like it may not be trash, but there’s so many shit slurpers here it’s hard to tell.

Its....decent, better than I expected considering its Inxile

Not bad, not terrible. Worth a playthrough now, and later on after the inevitable Director's Cut.

Gyor

Savant
Are WL2 and 3 worth a shot?

I haven't finished wasteland 2, but I can honestly say it's worth more then I payed for it (I got it for free, not pirated, before Wasteland 3 they dropped the price of Wasteland to free, how could I say no! ).

entr0py

Scholar
Worse than UR/AoD, better than Shadowrun/PoE/Etc.

I enjoyed the TB Shadowrun game on my smartphones. I think it the one set in Berlin.

That game was lowkey an "indie" masterpiece, especially the Director's Cut version. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
If you liked that W2 and W3 might worth a shot too. The second part of W2 is a little rushed, though I haven'r tried the Director's Cut, maybe that fixed a few things. I'm playing W3 right now and all I can say it is a lot of fun for me. I'm playing on hardest difficulty, so there isnt a lot of room for error, all the enemies are lethal, but usually you can alpha-strike most of the baddies with the right builds (which is a tactic you need to employ on Supreme Jerk difficulty). Writing is more on the funnier/lighter side, not bad at all, serviceable for this game.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
WL2 is their best game actually. Numenera is a ruin, WL3 is like a buggier version of WL2 with voice acting and less of everything.

Last edited:

entr0py

Scholar
That game was lowkey an "indie" masterpiece
I wouldn't call a visual novel with nu-Xcom combat slapped on a lowkey masterpiece :nocountryforshitposters:

The HBS Shadowrun games were the first time I came across the Shadowrun universe and because I love the cyberpunk universe and film noir-esque narratives, where you don't save the world but you are just some downtrodden looser standing up against the megacorps in your own little insignificant ways hoping that it may mean something in the end made Dragonfall scratch a very specific itch in my case, thats why I really like it. I think the writing is good and throughout the story whatever small agency you have have actual consequences further down the road (like the AI, or whether that little piece of Berlin became better or worse "thanks" to your actions)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom