Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Outer Worlds - now on Matt Chat and therefore a classic:

This episode is the first of a 3-part series of interviews with Brian Heins. Project Director of Obsidian. In this segment we chat about The Outer Worlds, focusing on its setting and what's innovative about its CRPG mechanics.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Brian says he's the "content director" on an unannounced project that won't be revealed for a couple of years. A "large RPG", currently early in preproduction with a small team.

Cut flaw from The Outer Worlds: If you rejected taking a flaw three times in a row, the game would have given you the Narcissism flaw. :lol: He seems to hint that something like that might be added back in an expansion.

He's a bright guy, fun interview.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Matt moderates a panel at Neal Hallford's LockDownCon:

12:00 PM - The Golden Age of Computer Gaming
Trip Hawkins,Warren Spector, John Cutter, Neal Hallford, Lori Cole, Corey Cole, Matt Barton (M)

Boleskine

Arcane

In this episode Brian and I finish up with The Outer Worlds before moving onto Tyranny and taking some questions sent in by some of the dirtiest rats I ever took an ax to.

Last edited by a moderator:

grimace

Prophet
Matt moderates a panel at Neal Hallford's LockDownCon:

12:00 PM - The Golden Age of Computer Gaming
Trip Hawkins,Warren Spector, John Cutter, Neal Hallford, Lori Cole, Corey Cole, Matt Barton (M)

Mark Lemmert
@MarkLemmert

·
Jul 5
Replying to
@mattbarton
and
@YouTube
Matt, the link says video has been removed. Do you know if it was moved to a different link?

Matt Barton
@mattbarton

·
Jul 5
Looks like
@nealiios
only intended to keep it up for three days.

Neal Hallford
@nealiios

·
14h
And the panels will be back, but I'm editing them down into individual panel vids so that it's easier for people to find what they're interested in. I'll begin reposting them a bit at a time between now and when we start doing our monthly LockDownCon chats in August.

Did anyone watch the Matt panel while it was available at that link?

Alter Sack

Magister
Wouldn't that be a good opportunity to do an interview with Cleve?

That interview is long overdue (albeit not 20 years).

grimace

Prophet

Matt Chat 455: Dark Sun, Shattered Land
•Aug 3, 2020

Matt Barton

This is an abridged version of my retrospective of SSI's Dark Sun: Shattered Land, an excellent CRPG that attempted to revamp the venerable Gold Box engine for the VGA era. Is it perfect? Nah. Is it easy? Oh, heck no. Is it fun? You betcha! Watch the video to learn about the game's history and then follow me and try not to laugh too much as I try to make it through the first chapter!

length: 3:20:30

https://youtu.be/K8IfAmMKDn0

Cameos in the comments include:

Shane Plays

Mad Max D&D is how I think of Dark Sun before you went there :)

MetalJesusRocks

2 days ago (edited)
I loved this game when it came out! It is a weird game because it has such a difficult and slow beginning. Great video

JarlFrank
2 days ago
Nice! Finally someone covers Dark Sun! The most overlooked RPG of them all, the missing link between Gold Box and Baldur's Gate. A true underrated gem.

grimace

Prophet

Ninjerk

Arcane
Did he sell out?

Don't think I'd agree with that judgement, but those feelies do look awfully nice. The book in particular fills me with lust. Only part that sucks is I know it would have essentially zero use with the game so it's not like something that'd be worth thumbing through while you're playing, last game where a physical item actually felt useful was with Morrowind, since the in-game map was kinda shit until you filled it in yourself, and the paper map actually had the locations of treasures and dungeons and stuff on it. Wasn't necessary, but it added to it. Disappointed me how bad the Oblivion and Skyrim paper maps were in comparison, wouldn't even have minded if they were useless due to the in-game map being better, but they lost all the fine detail of the Morrowind map.

Weird tangent to go on since the book's more like an Ultima thing anyway, but fuck it. MAPS!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom