Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

Hines

Savant
Kevin Saunders has colon cancer and his odds of beating it don't look great. :(

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

Let me give you a taste of what a class act Kevin is. In between rounds of chemo, he invited me out to lunch to give me wisdom regarding managing and designing Fallen Gods. Not the slightest hint of low spirits or bitterness. If anyone deserves to roll a natural 20 and beat this crap it’s him. Wonderful person.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, what an episode.

It's interesting to see the different focus that Kevin has when talking about Torment's failure. George & Colin basically went "it was overscoped, next question" while Kevin seems more regretful about a range of issues surrounding the game's crowdfunding and early development.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More Torment:

Kevin is back to talk more about the development of Torment: Tides of Numenera and how he applied lessons he learned from his earlier involvement Shattered Galaxy MMO. We also discuss the pros and cons of commercial publishers vs. crowdfunding and the fallout from the infamous turn-based vs. realtime with pause poll for TS:T. How faithful is Torment to Monte Cook's vision?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Oof, at the end Kevin reveals he was so bummed about getting kicked off Torment's development that he never played it. He also appears to confirm the stories about Monte Cook's complaints about the game's portraits.

Matt says probably two more episodes left.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

In the third installment, Kevin talks about Dwarfs, Alpha Protocol, Neverwinter Nights 2 and the expansions Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir. We also chat about pre-made vs. custom characters, procedural vs. handmade content, and the future of natural language processing in games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's the final episode after all:

In this final and often emotional segment, Kevin chats about Knights of the Old Republic II and his early days, when he worked on some of the first MMOs (Shattered Galaxy and Nexus). We then chat about games tend to have bad endings (so to speak). Kevin wraps up with some honest reflections on his life, family, and friends, and ponders if the time he's spent making games was really worth it.

Oh my.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The emotional part starts at 35:00. It's really touching. :negative:

Doesn't look like Matt has any new interviews lined up after this.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

My god the awkward silences Matt gives him, and then doesn't want to go into the details of cancer at all and looks to switching the subject. Holy crap.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Well yeah, it's a gaming interview show and Kevin dropped that IRL bomb right at the beginning. I'm not sure he really wanted or expected to have a long talk about it (why go on Matt Chat to talk about your cancer) and Matt suspected that he didn't want it, and it left the conversation in a position where it was unclear how to proceed and awkward to move on. I'm sure a more verbally nimble interviewer would have dealt with it better, of course.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
GOG has an input form where you can propose your game, why do you need some "special knowledge"? Just use it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
People underestimate how many games are missing from GOG because the rights holders are just mentally checked out and "out of the game". A volunteer middleman/trusted party willing to do the work can do a lot of good here, because GOG aren't going to do it themselves.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The next interview in the Matt Chat Renaissance is with Brian Heins from Obsidian:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I have a question, but it's too long for twitter.

Compare BG and POE prologues in terms of dramatic character arcs.

In BG, your foster father gets killed by a mysterious stranger, and you find out that you're a child of a god.
This creates a need for your character to find out who's after you, and there's a serious promise of greatness ahead because of your divine heritage. In short, it's FUCKING INTRIGUING.

In POE you find out that you're a "watcher". Real life analogy: you suddenly find out that you're a train spotter -- is that supposed to excite anyone's imagination?

So my question is, who thought this up and why do they still have a job?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
There's nothing intriguing about divine heritage plots.
When characters have characteristics that we'd like to have ourselves, that's called "engaging".

If you wouldn't like to have super powers, you're either a liar or have something wrong with you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom