Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Kurwitz

Fucking uncancel it if you're reading this, you baltic nazi cunt. :argh:

Alter Sack

Magister
Wouldn't that be a good opportunity to do an interview with Cleve?

That interview is long overdue (albeit not 20 years).

grimace

Arcane

Matt Chat 455: Dark Sun, Shattered Land
•Aug 3, 2020

Matt Barton

This is an abridged version of my retrospective of SSI's Dark Sun: Shattered Land, an excellent CRPG that attempted to revamp the venerable Gold Box engine for the VGA era. Is it perfect? Nah. Is it easy? Oh, heck no. Is it fun? You betcha! Watch the video to learn about the game's history and then follow me and try not to laugh too much as I try to make it through the first chapter!

length: 3:20:30

https://youtu.be/K8IfAmMKDn0

Cameos in the comments include:

Shane Plays

Mad Max D&D is how I think of Dark Sun before you went there :)

MetalJesusRocks

2 days ago (edited)
I loved this game when it came out! It is a weird game because it has such a difficult and slow beginning. Great video

JarlFrank
2 days ago
Nice! Finally someone covers Dark Sun! The most overlooked RPG of them all, the missing link between Gold Box and Baldur's Gate. A true underrated gem.

grimace

Arcane
Don't think I'd agree with that judgement, but those feelies do look awfully nice. The book in particular fills me with lust. Only part that sucks is I know it would have essentially zero use with the game so it's not like something that'd be worth thumbing through while you're playing, last game where a physical item actually felt useful was with Morrowind, since the in-game map was kinda shit until you filled it in yourself, and the paper map actually had the locations of treasures and dungeons and stuff on it. Wasn't necessary, but it added to it. Disappointed me how bad the Oblivion and Skyrim paper maps were in comparison, wouldn't even have minded if they were useless due to the in-game map being better, but they lost all the fine detail of the Morrowind map.

Weird tangent to go on since the book's more like an Ultima thing anyway, but fuck it. MAPS!

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Can't get into Fallout stuff? Oh my...

Microsoft gave him the license to make Fallout 5? Oh jeez.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
First half hour:

Toaster repair
Humor in games (risky because people might not like it)
VR games
David's past working on America's Army
Wasteland 3 Collector's Edition box (Brian says it might be inXile's last)
Challenges of working during COVID (David says it wasn't so bad because the important creative work was already done)

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Second half hour:

POLITICS in Wasteland 3 (they cut some stuff that unexpectedly became relevant in 2020)
Moral dilemmas
Combat mechanics innovations - making combat faster by implementing concurrent enemy actions and making it more lethal
Ongoing balance improvements - making enemies not waste their attacks on your followers

And then Q&A begins:

Wasteland 1 and the Bobby in Highpool quest
Future games from inXile (too early to talk about) and future Wasteland 3 content (DLC will add more areas, more reactivity, more music, more Polly lines! Pets seem to be a thing they're thinking about)

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Final half hour, more Q&A:

Troy & Brandi from Wasteland 3 (Brian doubts it'll work out for them)
Working with Krome on the remakes
Will inXile be able to make games under Microsoft that they couldn't before? No, it's more about them being able to make the games better.
Brian talks about creating a new kind of soundtrack in Wasteland 3 with Tarantino collaborator Mary Ramos
Meantime - sounds like it won't happen. Brian is concerned about how many games he has left in his career before he retires and Meantime isn't high up on his to-do list.
Missing games from the Interplay Collector's Edition from the 1990s - Interplay didn't own all the rights
Switching between Unity and Unreal - it made sense to use Unity for Wasteland 2 because of the asset store. The president of Epic Games donated to the Kickstarter and was pissed off about it, lol. It also made sense to reuse the engine for the sequel, but inXile had Unreal experience so they used it for Bard's Tale IV. Brian isn't sure inXile will use Unity again.
The Bard's Tale franchise and the failure of Bard's Tale IV - grognards hated it! inXile wanted to be ambitious and it didn't work out. There was a similar thing with the Bard's Tale ARPG but that eventually became quite popular after being released on mobile to an audience with fewer preconceptions.
Centauri Alliance sequel (Michael Cranford game from Broderbund) - Brian: "lol wut"
Reviving an IP while appeasing the oldschool fanbase - Brian talks about using dialogue keywords in Wasteland 2 to keep it true to the original. For Wasteland 3 it felt safe to move on to standard dialogue options. Could they have done that already in Wasteland 2? Maybe
T:ToN Director's Cut - Brian: "Nooo". Besides the developers have moved on and it would also be difficult technically because of Unity engine updates and such.
Pyke asks about working with Pyke (cool guys, Brian says)
And finally, an old anecdote from Trent Oster about him messing with Brian's toy Star Trek tricorder back at Interplay

Matt's next interview is with Pyke, but it might be a while.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wasteland 3 Collector's Edition box (Brian says it might be inXile's last)

Unsurprising given how they couldn't even afford discs.

T:ToN Director's Cut - Brian: "Nooo". Besides the developers have moved on and it would also be difficult technically because of Unity engine updates and such.

Where's the Avellone comic, Fargo?

Gastrick

Cipher
Lol at "defund the marshals". In a game, unless you want to break the 4th wall, you can't explain that you wrote this a while ago, so I can see why they changed it. Since it's related to current-events and activism, it's different from general politics which is worth keeping when there's no axe to grind.
It's best to know that you will always misunderstood by atleast someone, but you should be as clear as possible to avoid it.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It took me literally a minute to understand what you're talking about.

It's MARSHALS.
The voiced version is the same, I don't see how it took you a minute to get it.
It's been fixed.
"Defund martial what? Martial arts?
Maybe he made a typo, maybe it's materials? Defund what materials?
[minute later]
OHHHH. FUCK."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom