Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matt Chat Thread

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Matt's an awkward weirdo, but he's on the side of the angels. I wish he would learn how to follow-up on stuff mid-interview, but what are you gonna do?
I think so sometimes too, but there is one advantage to his approach, in that he just stands back and lets the interviewee ramble on, and sometimes the result is brilliant and completely unlike any other gaming interview. Some of my favourite moments in his interviews come from this, such as (off the top of my head) Richard Garriott going on about teletype and the tile system in early Ultimas, Sandy Petersen rambling about the original Quake design with hammer-wielding Thor, or Tom Hall fondly recalling Infocom and Scott Adams games he played. I think on one hand his interviews could benefit from being more structured and him following up more aggressively, but if he did I think they'd lose those wonderful almost off-topic moments, and I genuinely enjoy them when they're from designers I like as they usually end up fascinating.

sstacks

Arcane
Matt's an awkward weirdo, but he's on the side of the angels. I wish he would learn how to follow-up on stuff mid-interview, but what are you gonna do?
I think so sometimes too, but there is one advantage to his approach, in that he just stands back and lets the interviewee ramble on, and sometimes the result is brilliant and completely unlike any other gaming interview. Some of my favourite moments in his interviews come from this, such as (off the top of my head) Richard Garriott going on about teletype and the tile system in early Ultimas, Sandy Petersen rambling about the original Quake design with hammer-wielding Thor, or Tom Hall fondly recalling Infocom and Scott Adams games he played. I think on one hand his interviews could benefit from being more structured and him following up more aggressively, but if he did I think they'd lose those wonderful almost off-topic moments, and I genuinely enjoy them when they're from designers I like as they usually end up fascinating.

Matt is very good at getting out of the way, which is a very important interviewing skill. I am the opposite and have to constantly work to let the interviewee breathe.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Countdown to your own personal Doomsday with Buck Rogers and Doc Barton! This gem doesn't tend to get the attention of the flagship Gold Box series, but don't let that stop you. Bring on the space rats!

grimace

Arcane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGNeI3duC8A

Let's revisit Eye of the Beholder!

Matt Chat 176: Eye of the Beholder
Dec 10, 2012

Fun gameplay is in the eye of the beerholder this week as Matt reviews the 1991 dungeon crawler from Westwood Associates, Eye of the Beholder. Closely modeled after FTL's seminal game Dungeon Master from '87, Eye of the Beholder unites the real-time dungeon crawl with the AD&D ruleset with mixed results.

And another
Eye Of The Beholder - Amiga - Gaming Memories And Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_VBbFvfQ1o

https://shot97retro.blogspot.com/2017/11/eye-of-beholder-in-depth-amiga-review.html

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Here we go with Drakensang, a 2009 game based on The Dark Eye RPG system from Germany. It's awesome, but sadly never got the attention it deserved outside of its native land. Time to rectify that! This is an amazing game that's well worth your time and money whether you played it back in the day or not--at least in this man's opinion. Hey, in addition to great audiovisuals and interesting RPG mechanics, it's got Wolf Rats--need I say more?

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom