Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Based on the last gif I assume it is still close to classic roguelikes, which is perfectly fine if you control only one character, but the character's walking and the lack of obvious tiles makes me wonder if it's a bit different with possibly more granular time, and in which case whether bullets instantly reach the target or fly around and potentially require time to do I really have no idea.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
By the amount of thrashmobs they keep showing in the gifs it looks like this is gonna be cyberpunk Diablo more than anything else.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Based on the last gif I assume it is still close to classic roguelikes, which is perfectly fine if you control only one character, but the character's walking and the lack of obvious tiles makes me wonder if it's a bit different with possibly more granular time, and in which case whether bullets instantly reach the target or fly around and potentially require time to do I really have no idea.
Yeah, in the beta some weapon types have slower-moving bullets/plasma/whatever that you can move out of the way of. It sort of reminds me of the dodge-strafing of DoomRL, which is fine imo. Fundamentally still a classic roguelike with simultaneous phase-based combat.

More worrying to me are (i) the gifs of vehicles make it look like an action game, which makes me think they still have the game go to fully real-time when using a vehicle (makes vehicles totally non-useable imo, and a huge design mistake), and (ii) the numbers popping up when you do damage makes me think they're moving further away from the earlier body-parts-based damage system. I don't really know, though, since the beta hasn't been updated in months.

grimace

Arcane
Yes, the gameplay feels like Syndicate, Shadowrun SNES, and I dunno.

The current version has "trash mobs" to test the limits of AI. I don't know what the population density goals for each map/play area will be.

Seamlessly connected world without load screens between areas means finding a hideout might be important. The fast travel vehicles help players to navigate quickly if they choose to do so.

The current game build consists of capture the flag and arena style death matches for combat testing. Body specific damage remains. Healing from different wounds matters.

Vehicle travel (in current build) has an option to slow time for drive by shooting gameplay to clear the path for escapes.

Whalenought

It's turn based, running around freely just passes through rounds. When you stop moving you can decide on an action for the next round at your leisure. Actions can occur simultaneously between everyone though, so the abstraction of rigid turn orders isn't needed, like rtwp

When you decide to make a run for it time and turns pass. Still turn based.

https://twitter.com/whalenought

@whalenought

The range indicator pops in just when you enter combat mode. We've shrank it to a directional line on the floor to dual purpose showing the attack angle toward the mouse cursor though, bit cleaner. Might keep the ball around for checking ranges while equipping in the inventory

Check https://twitter.com/whalenought/with_replies for all the replies to questions asked.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
buffalo bill

May I ask about the save system of this game? The devs once mentioned that they are against save-scumming, so I guess it's save-and-quit?

buffalo bill

Arcane
buffalo bill

May I ask about the save system of this game? The devs once mentioned that they are against save-scumming, so I guess it's save-and-quit?
atm the demo only contains various "pit fight" modes (e.g. capture the flag, battle arena), and so far as I can tell there is no way to save/load currently (there is no option when I esc to menu, and no current keybinding for save/load). I honestly can't remember if the last beta iteration had saving/loading implemented

(but someone correct me if I'm wrong—I haven't actually played it in a while)

Last edited:

geno

Savant
I don't like the change from 3D models to 2D, but the new art is growing on me, specially when there isn't green mist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
uAtihKq.png

grimace

Arcane

Post the full menu screen!

Beta Version 6.0 pushed to Steam live now.

20210127083113_1qbkrk.jpg

And the updates?

There's more music. Different tracks for combat and peace time.

The font has changed.

I'm playing on the lowest resolution to test on my laptop.

And more! I won't spoil the rest for those who want to test.

grimace

Arcane
Beta version 6.0.1 with fixes and polish.

Start a Pit Fight, choose Outlast, and increase the countdown timer for every kill. Mobs respawn and you kill as much as you can. Pick up items and play for a high score as you test the combat.

This new map might be my favourite of the Pit Fight maps so far.

You can play with 10, 20, or 30 other NPCs in the map deathmatch or team deathmatch.

Testing on the lowest resolution so the font on the title screen may be difficult to read.
20210128071240_1prjou.jpg

The big change?

The biggest change to game-play this iteration is that you now click to move. Click once and your character runs there.

WASD to move camera and you can lock camera to follow character. There is fog of war so you can only see as far as your character can see.

Previously you would move with WASD keys.

The dice roll combat works well. You can show and hide that feed to see what hits and misses you roll.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Latest iteration of the beta is mad casualized. Keyboard movement inputs have been removed and you now no longer move one space at a time (this change is probably to accomodate using vehicles more fluidly I assume), which sucks imo. More importantly, the game is way, way easier for some reason (a combination of AI and damage changes I think). I suspect that the difficulty was turned down to accomodate the new movement system, so the player doesn't accidentally constantly walk through a hail of gunfire, but as it is there is basically no challenge anymore. Whereas before, the pit fights were actually fun and hard, and if not careful you could easily die very quickly. Now, I can mill around a large group of enemies and walk away basically unscathed. Massive decline. What is wrong with these devs? One step forward, then two steps backward, over and over again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom