Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Sykar

Arcane
By all standards Bioshock Infinite is a mediocre shooter, and its story and tone stand in absolute disharmony from its gameplay.

I think Bioshock Infinite would have been a decent point & click adventure, or something similar in that style. Like you say, as a shooter the gameplay is totally disconnected from the narrative with the amount of people you murder, and how everyone in the setting is a lunatic ready to murder and throw their life away for whatever reason. The magic powers make no sense either storywise, but I guess they make sense gameplay-wise. It's such a mess of a game.

The story is fucking retarded doubly so for the ending. When it ended I was like "what... the actual.... fuck".
To me the story seems to be written by someone thinking he is smarter than he really is and the same type of people are celebrating this dumb story.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
By all standards Bioshock Infinite is a mediocre shooter, and its story and tone stand in absolute disharmony from its gameplay.

I think Bioshock Infinite would have been a decent point & click adventure, or something similar in that style. Like you say, as a shooter the gameplay is totally disconnected from the narrative with the amount of people you murder, and how everyone in the setting is a lunatic ready to murder and throw their life away for whatever reason. The magic powers make no sense either storywise, but I guess they make sense gameplay-wise. It's such a mess of a game.

The story is fucking retarded doubly so for the ending. When it ended I was like "what... the actual.... fuck".
To me the story seems to be written by someone thinking he is smarter than he really is and the same type of people are celebrating this dumb story.

Imagine looking for quality writing in video games. :smug:

Sykar

Arcane
:nocountryforshitposters:
I just want writing that does not insult my intelligence, especially when the game tries to seriously dive into many world, time travel and racism yet is too chicken shit to let us see and hear slaves being punished harshly for perceived slights or called nigger in an openly racist state or is too stupid to take the grandfather paradox into account.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just want writing that does not insult my intelligence, especially when the game tries to seriously dive into many world, time travel and racism yet is too chicken shit to let us see and hear slaves being punished harshly for perceived slights or called nigger in an openly racist state or is too stupid to take the grandfather paradox into account.

Ken Levine's magnum opus clearly made a lasting impression on you. :smug:

Codex Year of the Donut
This reminds me of someone asking why Kingdom Come: Deliverance had no jews in it if it's trying to be semi-historically accurate, to which I responded: "how well do you think media outlets would respond to a pogrom simulator?"

The answer is blatantly obvious.

Drop Duck

Learned
Wow, just wow. I remember you calling us goblins earlier and now you're shitting on a genius like Ken Levine? You're not only an anti-Semite but you also want to see black people in pain and want to hear the n-word? Could you just go back to stormfront where you belong already? Mate, it's a game about a city in the sky, it's not real-life history or your racist wet dreams.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
thats-bait-mad-max.gif

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
This reminds me of someone asking why Kingdom Come: Deliverance had no Jews in it if it's trying to be semi-historically accurate, to which I responded: "how well do you think media outlets would respond to a pogrom simulator?"
Kingdom Come: Deliverance has as its setting only a miniscule portion of Bohemia, and that limited area at the time did not possess a Jewish community. IIRC, the developers stated that a sequel taking place in Prague would have Jews represented, for historical verisimilitude. +M

:takemyjewgold:

Codex Year of the Donut
This reminds me of someone asking why Kingdom Come: Deliverance had no Jews in it if it's trying to be semi-historically accurate, to which I responded: "how well do you think media outlets would respond to a pogrom simulator?"
Kingdom Come: Deliverance has as its setting only a miniscule portion of Bohemia, and that limited area at the time did not possess a Jewish community. IIRC, the developers stated that a sequel taking place in Prague would have Jews represented, for historical verisimilitude. +M

:takemyjewgold:
KCD is set right inbetween two of the biggest pogroms in the history of Prague -- the 1389 pogrom and the 1421 pogrom.
Something tells me that jews wouldn't have been treated very kindly no matter what part of Bohemia the game is set in.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Imagine looking for quality writing in video games. :smug:

Sure, I do wish the cowards and consensus-seekers making AA-AAA games today would embrace this sentiment, rather than continuing to pretend that they are interested in actually depicting or discussing anything that requires a greater level of curiosity, emotional maturity and self-control than can be reasonably expected of anyone under the age of ~35.

Just make the safely pasteurized substitutes like Game of Thrones or abstract dopamine dispensers like mobile games and drop the pretense.

Drop Duck

Learned
You people are insane. Ken Levine makes a lighthearted parody of America as a city in the clouds and Sykar says it sucks because there isn't plenty of use of the n-word. And you think this is reasonable critique of the game? There are some questionable things in the game since the game went through such a troubled development but a lack of a slave whipping mini-game isn't it.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You people are insane. Ken Levine makes a lighthearted parody of America as a city in the clouds and Sykar says it sucks because there isn't plenty of use of the n-word. And you think this is reasonable critique of the game? There are some questionable things in the game since the game went through such a troubled development but a lack of a slave whipping mini-game isn't it.
Haven't played the game but that's so obviously not Sykar's point. He's calling the game shit because it attempts broach difficult and nuanced subjects such as racism and time travel, but fails to do so in a meaningful way and instead ends up insulting your intelligence with how half-baked it all is.

You're either intentionally straw-manning him and doing a shitty job of it, or you're just retarded. Either way, fuck off.

Drop Duck

Learned
He's calling the game shit because it attempts broach difficult and nuanced subjects such as racism and time travel
The time travel is consistent and his complaint was that he didn't get to hear the n-word. Maybe he's racist and too slow in the head to understand the simple story Ken Levine wrote but I didn't catch much about time travel there. If you're having a hard time wrapping your grug head around it I could post an explainer video.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's calling the game shit because it attempts broach difficult and nuanced subjects such as racism and time travel
The time travel is consistent and his complaint was that he didn't get to hear the n-word. Maybe he's racist and too slow in the head to understand the simple story Ken Levine wrote but I didn't catch much about time travel there. If you're having a hard time wrapping your grug head around it I could post an explainer video.
Lmao this nigger

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Yep. It's extremely unfortunate, but it looks like the game is bad.
1. I was a shill for Whalenought all this time, big fan of SitS (even drew some fan art for it), believed in them
2. Played the game on release, decided to wait for the string of updates after the initial buggy release (granted: the game got more playable after that)
3. It's playable, but the game doesn't draw me into it: murky depressing graphics/setting, the remaining bugs, and the final nail in the coffin of getting stuck due to not writing down/remembering a crucial password.
4. A quick read through the forum seem to reveal that the ending is meaningless/unsatisfying as well?

Ah, fuck. Maybe someone will be able to enjoy it, and certainly there are genuinely good stuff inside the game... but it's not for me. What's especially depressing though is that the dev team apparently spent a lot of time and effort on it
I feel bad for them, so I won't change my old hopeful "positive" review on Steam for "negative'. But... there is limited time and there are simply much better games out there

grimace

Arcane
the remaining bugs

What bugs remain?

getting stuck due to not writing down/remembering a crucial password.

We asked for a hardcore RPG experience.

Was there a way to find the password again in game? There isn't an auto-notebook to record important information automatically.
Do the passwords auto generate to be unique or chosen from a random pool of possibilities?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Boxed copy arrived recently. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. It's a very nice plastic box that looks like a chemical storage kit, with upholstery straps.

Too bad about the game itself.

Dhaze

Cipher
Game still buggy or did they fix most of it?

The game is 80% bugs—and I'm saying that without any exaggeration.

I posted a review on page 146 of this thread, which somehow evolved into an impromptu Let's Play over the next pages because I'm a stubborn moron. But really, it's a massive collection of bugs and truly awful design decisions.

Only two things in this game are good: the music, and a rather involved puzzle. Everything else makes for a pestilential midden from hell.

I would vehemently advise against touching that game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom