Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Daniel Pacheco

Educated
The last day I share Spyro and today MediEvil.

I really love that game!! Hope that many people here will play this game.

Is awesome that PS4 will release a lot of videogames from PS1.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Noooooooo! I put PS2 in the thread!!!

How could I edit the title?
There should be edit title button somewhere at the top of the page.

Thanks J_C but I am not able to find it....
Here it is. If you don't have it, then maybe it is only allowed for users with a longer account history.
3T7Cj5X.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
One of the best PS1 games ever. It's strange (and a shame) how this series got forgotten and abandoned so fast, and I don't just mean by the developers. People in general seem to have forgotten about this gem. Even the second one wasn't that bad, despite not being nearly as good as the first one. As for this remake, judging by the trailer, it seems like they've lost the eerie atmosphere of the original release, which is a shame. Also lol at 4K being a selling point despite the game looking like a budget PS3 title. I'm getting a soulless vibe from this.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Noooooooo! I put PS2 in the thread!!!

How could I edit the title?
There should be edit title button somewhere at the top of the page.

Thanks J_C but I am not able to find it....
Here it is. If you don't have it, then maybe it is only allowed for users with a longer account history.
3T7Cj5X.jpg
Wow, you're making a game! Awesome! Can I try it for free?
Well you can buy it and leave a steam review, and then I will propose a toast in your name! :P

Daniel Pacheco

Educated

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
One of the best PS1 games ever. It's strange (and a shame) how this series got forgotten and abandoned so fast, and I don't just mean by the developers. People in general seem to have forgotten about this gem. Even the second one wasn't that bad, despite not being nearly as good as the first one. As for this remake, judging by the trailer, it seems like they've lost the eerie atmosphere of the original release, which is a shame. Also lol at 4K being a selling point despite the game looking like a budget PS3 title. I'm getting a soulless vibe from this.
In many ways, the second one had a lot of improvements. Though a big issue it had was that it had some frustrating changes, like the fact health fountains were persistent. So in case you took some beating (very possible in the Cathedral) and wanted to get ready for next level you'd end up replaying the Museum over and over again to charge back up. Or that they introduced fall damage, which made getting around take more time (and is kinda jarring if you play the games back to back since you drop down huge distances all the time in 1). And lots of gimmick levels. Also its attempt at a more complex storyline didn't have the charm of the very simple story of the original.

Also they're using green fog too much. It makes it look really tacky. Otherwise I quite like the graphics, they're very much like the Nightmare Before Christmas sort of look the old games were going for. Though it is done in a rather predictable manner.

Tehdagah

Arcane
The demo had framerate issues and wonky camera. It was also near impossible to fight enemies without losing health due to the lack of hitstun.

schru

Arcane
I really liked the original game. I made some comments in a conversation as I was watching this gameplay video, I'll paste them in below:

Just the new narrator is already lame, the articulation feels too intentionally tawdry, and I can't help but suppose that it's a woman because there must be ‘representation’ now.

Zarok's castle looks so cartoonish.

The visual style has that pastel-cartoon-fantasy look, doesn't it? Even the camera movement in the original version was better, it was more prompt because it didn't need to linger on that fly through the interior of the castle.

Zarok looks clown-like instead of menacing and old now. And those textures aren't good, why are they panning in on them? Those angular eye-balls. And those dumb ahs and hums they added.

Were they unable to stop those particles of water mist from displaying for a moment?

They used a generic walking animation for Zarok's approach to the cliff, didn't they? The iconic tolling of the bell is gone.

That paved-stone texture planted on top of a different paved-stone texture... and it's receiving lighting differently...

The way the villagers' eyes and mouths lighted up in the original version looked creepy, this doesn't.

What's with the letters at the entrance to Fortesque's crypt? And the colour excess just makes the style uninteresting.

And cu-raaazy looking zombies.

The menu ‘demo’ has nothing on the original's atmosphere either.

Low-resolution, blurry normal maps still visible. This is never going to go away on consoles, is it?

The gargoyles are overstylized.

The graphics just look like Dota 2-Diablo III-Torchlight-something. What is it with this same style being used by so many games?

The world map is ugly. Who cares if it's three-dimensional?

How could they make the combat feel so weak too? All the sparks and flashes and the mismatched sounds make it look completely dumb; the other impact particles look bad. In the original the sounds and impacts were rather satisfyingly juicy and the way the enemies would flash when hit wasn't so excessive, from what I recall.

The cemetery doesn't look interesting. What's the use of all the new graphics technology if things just look more incongruous (especially how inconsistently different neighbouring objects receive lighting)? Throw it all into the bin.

The whole landscape is bathed in purple haze now. It might be an interesting effect, but it spoils the mood.

The life founts look less interesting too.

Zarok's gesturing at the Hilltop Mausoleum looks so embarrassing.

They've toned down the music's characteristic style in order to make it more measured and serious, I suppose, but why? It just doesn't have much personality now and matches the pace of the gameplay poorly. They certainly didn't have any reservations about making the visual style more ‘zany’.

It seems like they've made the fat charging zombies easier to deal with.

From a different video ( https://youtu.be/bwUE9AsrmXM ):

The stained windows aren't colouring the light that's passing through them.

The Stained Glass Demon looks much less interesting also. I assume this was a render made with assets from the original:

latest

The new one:

MCJyhRC.jpg

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So, it turns out you shouldn't stay too faithful to the original because modern audience wants everything to play exactly the same.

deama

Prophet
I don't get it, why is this considered good? I tried playing it for a couple of hours, didn't really get it, looked for reviews, still didn't get it, am I the completely wrong person for this? I surely can't be, I enjoyed rayman 2 the greate escape a lot, I should be perfect for this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom