Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mega list of cartography and mapmaking tools

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Doing this thread since there are more and more cartography and mapmaking tools out there, and it's getting harder to keep track of what's available on the market. Hopefully this will be of some use to KKKodex GMs (which I'm sure is everyone who posts here in the Gazebo since it usually falls on :obviously: gentlemen to GM).

The list is split into the following categories (items arranged in descending alphabetical order):

1) Tools for designing world or regional maps

Azgaar's Fantasy Map Generator
(JamesDixon) Here's Azgaar's Fantasy Map Generator for world creation.

Fractal Mapper 8.0
(udm) I bought this some years ago and used it a couple of times. It's functional, not very difficult to use, but I think there are better options out there that are more accessible and convenient.

Wonderdraft
(udm) This is on my to-buy list. Looks insanely easy to set up a regional map in minutes. Will update this comment once I've bought and played around with it.

2) Tools for designing battlemaps like dungeons, towns and cities

Arkenforge
(udm) Good "paint-on" mapmaking tool. The new interface can feel overwhelming at first but you'll quickly get used to it. One-time payment, comes with a good number of free assets. It can even do sci-fi maps well. Only thing is that loading times can be a bit long if you have too many assets on-screen.

Dungeon Alchemist
(udm) Mapmaker that comes with "AI". Haven't tried it, but it's supposedly really fast in generating layouts.

Dungeondraft
(udm) Made by the same guy that did Wonderdraft. Don't know much about this besides that it's more for dungeon-making.

Dungeon Builder - The Isometric Map Builder by Hobbyte
(udm) Isometric map builder. Nice array of tiles but nothing too fancy. Also, most of the tiles are in b&w hand--drawn format.

Dungeon Map Doodler
(Sacibengala) very easy to use and responsive as well

Grid Cartographer
(udm) Originally used as an aid for old-school dungeon crawlers, it has since been expanded by fellow monocled gentleman Hidden Asbestos and now includes the ability to export maps for PnP use. It's very fast and simple to use. I love that you can import icons for use with your maps too. However, it's best used only for indoor maps, like dungeons.

Illwinter's Floorplan Generator
(udm) Fast and simple to use like Grid Cartographer, and you can import your own tiles and icons. However, also like GC, it's best used for indoor maps.

Shuffler
(udm) Mapmaker specifically for sci-fi and modern maps. Very limited functionality and unless the dev updates it, there are better options out there that can do sci-fi maps (eg Arkenforge).

Tabletop RPG Map Editor II
(orcinator) It's abandoned but what's there is good for making abstract maps quickly or, if you want to import a lot of assets, pixel art style urban/interior maps. I recommend using assets made by the community and/or looking through sprite sheets.

The RPG Engine
(udm) Someone recommended this on Facebook. I don't know much about it, but it's still in active development.

3) Tools for designing both regional and battlemaps:

Campaign Cartographer 3
(udm) Supposedly the most powerful tool for cartography, but I wouldn't know. I bought it but haven't had the time to properly go through the tutorial. Anyway, these days there are other apps/platforms that are capable of producing just as nice maps as CC3.​

Dungeonfog
(udm) Never used it before. Uses subscription fee payment model. Browser-based.

Inkarnate
(udm) Never used it before, but I've downloaded a number of maps made by the Inkarnate community. Uses subscription fee payment model. Browser-based.​

HEXROLL
(Sacibengala) this one is impressive, see for yourself​

Hextml
(Sacibengala) simple and easy to use​

Worldographer
(udm) Wishlisted this many years ago. What's stopping me from buying this is that the produced maps all seem to be lacking in visual quality. However, it is all-encompassing, so that's a plus point.​

If there's something I missed out (and there probably is), suggest away and I'll add it in. Preferably let me know why you recommend it, so that it helps others filter out the chaff. Also, I'm only adding in apps and software that have been released in some form (i.e., early access, pre-release candidate, beta, alpha, or final release)

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
You could add Campaign Cartographer as well.

Already in there. That was the first thing I thought of when making the list ;)

Of course, that reminds me that I'll need to add in the other ProFantasy apps like Dungeon Designer. Probably after I knock off from work.

EDIT: Huh, I always thought Dungeon Designer was separate from CC3. Didn't realise it's an add-on. Guess I'll shift CC3 to the 3rd category.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
You could add Campaign Cartographer as well.

Already in there. That was the first thing I thought of when making the list ;)

Of course, that reminds me that I'll need to add in the other ProFantasy apps like Dungeon Designer. Probably after I knock off from work.

EDIT: Huh, I always thought Dungeon Designer was separate from CC3. Didn't realise it's an add-on. Guess I'll shift CC3 to the 3rd category.

I didn't notice you had it in your list until I made my post. Oh well. :lol:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Recently bought Dungeondraft and Wonderdraft, and have been playing around with both. Whipped up a simple cave in about 30-40 minutes with Dungeondraft on my first try. Very nice software overall, very simple to use :greatjob:

j.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom