Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Megathread whining: Released/Announced

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I get you are nazis and really need Ordnung but for the love of Glob, could you please draw the line at merging threads into one mega-thread after a game has been released?

Example: I want to read about that South Park game and see if it's any good. My first instinct is to look CRPG Discussion for a thread about the game having been released. But all I find is an older 64 page thread that has been around since months. Do you really expect me to click around in the last few pages of there just to find the point where the thread changes from pre-release banter to impressions?

Stop merging wildly.
Separate pre-release threads from released/impressions thead

Even other forums that have megathreads do this. It's common sense.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't think anyone started an impressions thread for them to merge, we just kept posting in the existing one.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am not saying anyone merged; I am saying nobody would want to start such a thread knowing how much threads are merged.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The prisoners have been so mentally cowed that the warden no longer needs to lock the cell doors. :decline:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am not saying anyone merged; I am saying nobody would want to start such a thread knowing how much threads are merged.

Again, you're wrong, because we aren't doing any merging. Go ahead, start a thread. If you want, I'll even move over all the posts from the South Park megathread since the game was released.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
The point isn't that you're doing any merging right now; more that the development of mega-threads, whether induced by merging of past times or due to a change in forum culture has made it hard to find information. It's really more of a way of saying: Hey, make a separate please, so information isn't lost. Most other forums with mega-threads do it that way. The salient point is that once a thread that was about a game made pre-release changes into the released thread, it is hard to find the point where it happened. It would be better if that thread were then locked and a new thread opened.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Example: I want to read about that South Park game and see if it's any good. My first instinct is to look CRPG Discussion for a thread about the game having been released.
your first instinct for impressions should be visiting the comments for the release news.

Xeon

Augur
An archive, maybe?

Like if a Kickstarter starts someone makes a thread and if a beta starts, the original thread gets locked and moved to the archive and a beta thread gets opened in its place and same thing after the game is released or something.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Locking Threads and keeping an overview would require the moderators to do some actual work though, so clearly this is not an option.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Locking Threads and keeping an overview would require the moderators to do some actual work though, so clearly this is not an option.
we rename threads upon release. that takes way more work than locking a pre-release hype thread.
not to mention that "omg, i was gonna reply to that but you locked it! fuck you, nazis! free speech forever!" is a very likely response to thread locks here.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
So this is a thread containing preemptive whining about something that hasn't actually happened yet? And that may never happen again?

Gotcha.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I request that a mod merge this thread into a megathread-complaint megathread. :smug:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So if i understand the situation correctly, this is what happened:

1. There was a thread pre-game release that people were posting in.

2. The game got released and people continued to post in the same thread.

3. Mod's update title of thread to reflect release status.

4. Thread gets created in site feedback about mod's merging threads?

People still posting in the same thread isn't the same thing as merging threads, even if they changed the title of the thread to reflect the release status.

Also, quit being a faggot OP.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
This is not the Megathread you are looking for.
The man says to us there is no issue, the establishment wants to make us believe there is no hidden merging going on.

Open your eyes people, the powers that be and their instigating lapdogs are trying to divert your attention from a very important issue by handing out arbitrary brofists and turning us against each other.
I say enough with this bread and games tactics. Bros unite! Lay down your shovels and picks. No more slaving away in the fisting mines for the suits upstairs until we receive some real answers!

Telengard

Arcane
Um...in an open forum, if you don't see a thread that you want to exist, isn't the whole point that you can then make that thread?

If you want to see a new Stick of Truth thread, you can just make that happen. Without having to wait for a moderator to do it, or anything.

nil

Cipher
Every thread should have a little dropdown menu next to the page list, where bookmarks for important posts/dates could be added by moderators.
  • game released
  • XY is dumb
  • expansion released
  • developer came out
  • drama starts
  • developer commits suicide
(I'm not really saying it should happen, because I don't know anything about running a forum.)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Some kind of way to create a thread index by marking a particular post...

:hmmm:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I don't think anyone started an impressions thread for them to merge, we just kept posting in the existing one.

Would anyone even think of starting a new thread with the current moderator mindset?

If I start a thread "Post-release impressions of South Park", do you think it would survive?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If I start a thread "Post-release impressions of South Park", do you think it would survive?

Yes, it would. For fuck's sake, people, get over what Jaesun did two years ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom