Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Daedalic Memoria

Boleskine

Arcane
The GOG version lacks german dialogues it seems. Does the Steam version have full german text/voice acting? I'm trying to learn the language and I was thinking of buying this.
If you live in Germany you'll get the German version from Steam, but I think it costs much more than the "non-German" version.

Daedalic likes to sell their adventures at a huge markup in Germany. That's why the GOG version lacks German voices - GOG won't sell something with regional pricing.

Name

Cipher
Nonsense, this game has one of the better ending/story for a game.

And Geron's reaction in the final chapter is hilarious and accurate, he's totally like "What does all this have to do with me? What am I doing here?"

Does the multiple endings thing mean that Daedalic will ditch them in favor of the new couple?

Anyone catch the reference to The Night of Rabbit?

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Obviously they will switch to the new couple, i liked much more sadja and the talking staff than geron and nuri ,those two were a bit too childish for my tastes, however it suited well the fairy tale .This was a gorgeous game, i love that hand drawn style ,another evidence handmade 2D will always be superior to 3D .Some of satinav puzzles were a bit far fetched, i got trouble getting the ring at the end for example, memoria was much better,i could solve all on my own. Well memoria was superior in every aspects , story, plot puzzles, everything is better , not that satinav was bad to start with .
It was a bit too short , as for every good games, i cant wait for the next chapter and advised my friends to try it as well.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
At last I remembered to finish this one, as most of you stated it is better than Satinav in every aspect.
I hope next game'll be about Sadja and "the staff" ( which come after Blackguards I presume) I don't like Geron that much and can't get past that Nuri is a Turkish MALE name...
Quite suprised when the staff hailed us in Turkish BTW.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Bought the game during the winter sale, started playing about a week ago. In chapter 6 currently, and very impressed with it thus far, I think it's the best Daedalic release I've played. Not only is it beautiful, but also has good writing and VA, a plot that's actually intriguing and even thought-provoking at times, and puzzles which finally make sense and nicely tie into the narrative (with a few exceptions, granted). Only complaint is that I'd prefer more Sadja and less Geron, but I do like the split into the past and present narrative threads.

Between this and Blackguards, I'm starting to cautiously look forward to future Daedalic games. Some genuine incline here.

Name

Cipher
Bought the game during the winter sale, started playing about a week ago. In chapter 6 currently, and very impressed with it thus far, I think it's the best Daedalic release I've played. Not only is it beautiful, but also has good writing and VA, a plot that's actually intriguing and even thought-provoking at times, and puzzles which finally make sense and nicely tie into the narrative (with a few exceptions, granted). Only complaint is that I'd prefer more Sadja and less Geron, but I do like the split into the past and present narrative threads.

Between this and Blackguards, I'm starting to cautiously look forward to future Daedalic games. Some genuine incline here.

Incilne?
Wait for their new shift in direction: 3D AVGs!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Incilne?
The Whispered World 2 actually looks neat with its 3D dolled up to look like 2D. No idea if it will work out in the end, but I liked the video.

Last edited:

Name

Cipher

Incilne?
The Whispered World 2 actually looks neat with it's 3D dolled up to look like 2D. No idea if it will work out in the end, but I liked the video.

Yep.
Will we get our first taste of their 3D tech with 1954: Alcatraz though?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hopefully not because 3d models in alcatraz look atrocious, in contrast to the TWW2 trailer.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Finished. Pretty cool ending, in a lot of ways. The solution to the riddle really puts the way Sadja acts throughout the game in a different light, especially her interactions with the prince (and in particular her conversation with the prince's servant after escaping the garden). I even liked how the Geron/Nuri ending tied into the story's themes - memory and the loss thereof, storytelling as a way of affecting the present - they all culiminate in Geron telling the amnesiac Nuri the story of the events of both games. In that sense, I suppose choosing to let her live as a bird is a rejection of the meaning of the whole narrative, where Geron decides to not be like the staff guy with his all-encompassing obsession and just move forward with his life instead.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just finished this a moment ago. That was one of the best Adventure game stories I have heard in a LONG time. They really did an excellent job on that.

I really really hope they can do a 3rd game in this series. And I can only pray, who ever in the hell wrote this can also write for the 3rd one.

Name

Cipher
Just finished this a moment ago. That was one of the best Adventure game stories I have heard in a LONG time. They really did an excellent job on that.

I really really hope they can do a 3rd game in this series. And I can only pray, who ever in the hell wrote this can also write for the 3rd one.

The writer is Kevin Mentz, who also wrote dialogue for Deponia and co-wrote Chains of Satinav. The most unsurprisingly thing is that he wrote the story for A New Beginning, which in my opinion is the third best game by Daedalic (First place Memoria, second place Harvey's New Eyes) because of its engaging and surprising story consider the controversial setting and theme(global-warming!). That story is,
basically a group of environment apocalypse survivors use time machine to travel to present time and try to stop global warming. The female lead from future tried to persuade the present-time male lead to continue researching a seemly hopeless alternative energy source, but it turns out their leaders' actual super secret dumb plan is to blow up the power plants in the Amazon rainforest as a act of terrorism to teach present time people to live environment-friendly life, which turns out to be the actual direct cause of environment apocalypse. Kind of self-fulfilling prophecy, or stable time loop. Of course the writer gives it a happy ending where stable time loop breaks in the stinger.

So in the end it's not about green aesop, but how dumb everyone is. Which is basically the current trend of 'realism'?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Just finished this, one of the best Daedalic games for sure, if not the best. The story definitely is the best of the lot. The puzzles had some ups and downs but the rest makes up for it, the art is gorgeous and there's a lot of locations.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just finished this, one of the best Daedalic games for sure, if not the best. The story definitely is the best of the lot. The puzzles had some ups and downs but the rest makes up for it, the art is gorgeous and there's a lot of locations.
:bro:
I definitely consider it Daedalic's best game: brilliant storytelling, interesting characters, well crafted plot with TWEESTS, perfect soundtrack, improved animations compared to earlier titles, gorgeous art (Drakonia omg adore), and some innovative puzzles. Every time time some idiot says the genre is dead I roll my eyes and laugh inside.

Karellen

Arcane
So I'm doing some thread necromancy here, but I finally finished Memoria, after having first drifted away from the game after Chapter 2 for several months to do other things. I'm glad I went back to it, since things got considerably more interesting after that point, and the pacing also improved.

Is it just me or is the second chapter with Geron easily the lowest point of the game? I kind of see how they might've been shooting for contrast between both the protagonists and the settings - Geron's time is more low-fantasy compared to Sadja's era of adventure, while much of the point of Sadja's chapters is showcasing how intense and determined she is, which becomes even more apparent when set next to Geron who is something of a meandering whiner who complains about problems instead of facing them head-on. The second chapter introduces a secondary mystery which isn't actually all that important to the story and mainly just serves as an excuse to force Geron to talk to a number of said unpleasant idiots as well as engage in petty theft, which does get the point across that Andergast is a miserable place, but that could be accomplished without dragging it out for so long. It's just very... menial. The rest of the segments with Geron are all right, since they're pretty short and they have more to do with following up on Sadja's story.

Anyway, as it turns out, after that point the game does a fairly good job on concentrating on its best features, those being Sadja, the story as a whole and the puzzles centered on magic. The magic puzzles themselves aren't particularly sophisticated, but they're much more enganging narratively (whereas many of the other puzzles are clumsy busywork), and a lot more fun that way. The worst part of the game is dealing with tedious, obstructive petty antagonists who serve mainly as arbitrary roadblocks that don't actually contribute anything to the story. These are found mainly in Geron's segments, though unfortunately also XERXES! Sadja's XERXES! chapters XERXES! have XERXES! some. Ehh.

I have to say that the story has a great pay-off at the end, though. It really ties all the mystery elements together well, has a very nice twist-y ending and packs a substantial thematic punch, which is a very impressive achievement by any measure. There are awfully few good adventure games with a non-comedic story, so in that sense Memoria doesn't have much in the way of direct competition, but I'd say it's an impressive story by any measure.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just finished this. Damn. Memoria fixes the biggest issue of Chains of Satinav, the story is fantastic now. It also has some pretty damn good voice-over (in German at least). The careful and slow speech pattern of the staff all the way through right to the last scene fits perfectly. One of the best adventure games in recent memory.

I hope Daedalic returns to the DSA setting again. The ending leaves room for it.

Ivan

Arcane
obligatory I just finished this an am immensely satisfied. I'm a sucker for anything with so much heart

I'm going to the garden to break my being
:negative:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom