Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Men of War II - series revival by original Men of War devs

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Infinitron, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• incline x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • decline x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So, this seems to be a repurposing of an F2P multiplayer game called Men of War II: Arena (formerly Soldiers: Arena).

Any Codexer know more about this?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    • decline x 4
    • thumbs down x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Peaceful protest x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Fun fact: in Ukraine and Russia, the series is known as "В тылу врага" ("Behind enemy lines").

In the west, the first game was released as "Soldiers: Heroes of World War II" and the second game was released as "Faces of War". The first game spawned a series of stand-alone expansion packs made by a different team and called "Диверсанты" ("Saboteurs") which was never released outside of Eastern Europe. "Men of War" is actually a second expansion pack for "Faces of War" (the first expansion was named "Faces of War - Brothers in Arms"). The second game spawned two series of stand-alone expansion packs made by a different dev teams - one is from german dev Digitalmind soft ("Штурм" aka "Assault Squad") and another from russian devs ("Черные бушлаты"/"Men of War: Red Tide", "В тылу врага - Вьетнам"/"Men of War Vietnam" and "Штрафбат"/"Condemned heroes").

It's a massive clusterfuck. Thanks, Ubisoft.

So it goes like this:
    - Behind enemy lines ("Soldiers: Heroes of World War II" in the west)
    - Behind enemy lines: Saboteurs
    - Behind enemy lines: Saboteurs 2
    - Behind enemy lines: Saboteurs 3
    - Behind enemy lines 2 ("Faces of War" in the west)
    - Behind enemy lines 2: Brothers in Arms ("Faces of War - Brothers in arms" in the west)
    - Behind enemy lines 2: Desert Fox ("Men of War" in the west)
    - Behind enemy lines 2: Assault ("Men of War: Assault Squad" in the west)
    - Behind enemy lines: Assault 2 ("Men of War: Assault Squad 2" in the west)
    - Behind enemy lines: Assault 2: Cold War ("Men of War: Assault Squad 2 - Cold War" in the west)
    - Black coats ("Men of War: Red Tide" in the west)
    - Behind enemy lines: Vietnam ("Men of War: Vietnam" in the west)
    - Behind enemy lines: Penal Battalion ("Men of War: Condemned Heroes" in the west)

Men of War: Arena was a stillborn multiplayer spin-off no one asked for. It was closed in august 2021, with Best Way promising to use the existing engine and assets to develop a full-fledged premium sequel without f2p BS.

• Informative x 12
    • Brofist x 4
    • Yes x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Peaceful protest x 1
    • Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Interesting. Didn't know there was this many Men of War games. Any Russians or Ukrainians that played the ones not released in west? Did we miss out on something special?

^ Top  
  5. Adidas-Clichèd Cringe Learned Patron

Adidas-Clichèd Cringe
    Insert Title Here
    Too bad that Arena didn't work out as I had lots of fun with it. Oh well, I will probably get this one.

^ Top  
  6. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    I have most of them, but the biggest problem they have at least with MP related is the memory leak bug, where the game would either lag and crash or just CTD about 15-20 min into game.
    No such issue with Call to Arms Ostfront, honestly I thought it was the unofficial Men of War 2 for a while since the mechanics are the same.

^ Top  
  7. Catacombs Magister Patron

Catacombs
    Where are all the WOMYN???????

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/ho...shape-the-frontlines-of-world-war-ii-strategy

^ Top  
  9. adddeed Arcane Possibly Retarded

adddeed
    My favorite is Faces of War.
    Started the series with the first Soldiers. Couldnt believe how much i had playing that, was unline anything else ive played.

^ Top  
  10. TalesfromtheCrypt Arcane

TalesfromtheCrypt
    Playing the original Men of War for the fiest time currently, almost at the end of the Soviet campaign. This game is just awesome, acion-packed fun. Direct control is an awesome feature, nothing like mowing down Germans in my T-34 or wreaking havoc in a stolen King Tiger.
    The campaign is quite challenging but on normal it's been doable so far with a bit of savescumming. I'm lovin the huge battles but the commandos style sequences and missions in between are a nice change of pace. A Men of War sequel with a proper SP campaign? Hell yeah, can't wait.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Gates of Hell has first person for tanks. It's really damn awesome. You can switch between first person and classic direct control if you prefer that.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• nice nice x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Van-d-all Liturgist

Van-d-all
    Always loved the series, and when I saw Arena in beta I looked into getting an account, but the cheapo lowest tier ones were already locked (in less than a week), and since it was some proprietary Russian site I wasn't too eager to give them money. Seeing now it's been shut down, seems like I dodged a bullet there.

To clarify - despite loving the games I've been weary of both Best Way and Digitalmindsoft after the shit they pulled about the Call To Arms - I've bought the game TWICE and I still don't have all the content, because they've changed how various editions are released. First I got the preorder which was supposed to be complete, but that got switched to be an equivalent to basic, so I bought the deluxe upgrade, but now the game has an ultimate edition. Sure, all this shitfuckery took a few years, and thankfully I bought it all on steam discounts but it still leaves a sour taste of how they do business.

As for MOW2, I'm glad they went to Steam, because the multiplayer in MOW was pretty bad. Dedicated hosting in MOW was just too archaic, and outside 1v1 it was quite hard to find a match that wasn't a pubstomp against an organized team; while matchmaking was just broken, and after a while barely anyone used it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Really tried to enjoy Call of Arms but something is just off with that Men of War title. Not sure it's the setting or something else.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. TalesfromtheCrypt Arcane

TalesfromtheCrypt
    How is Gates of Hell? I just learned about this game from this thread and it looks nice, but I‘m worried about reviews mentioning completely braindead ai. What‘s worse is they are referring to the individual unit behaviour AI, which I think is pretty good in the original Men of War.

^ Top  
  15. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Been playing it a bit. Without a certain mod for conquest at least the enemy AI is rather suicidal. They come at you in a straight line. With the mod they come at you still, but more spread out and use more kind of units, like mortars and such. They also flank sometimes. But yeah, vanilla AI don't seem that great in conquest mode. Not played singleplayer missions yet so I have no idea there.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. KateMicucci Savant

KateMicucci
    Campaigns ratings-

Men of War 1- Good. German campaign has no commando missions IIRC, American is all commando missions and USSR is a mix.
    Red Tide- Good but more commando missions than MoW1. I think it has more missions than any of the others.
    Vietnam- Pure shit. Nothing but buggy commando missions. One involves pixel-hunting for a bunch of snipers hiding in trees.
    Condemned Heroes- Decent. Don't know if it was a step down or I was just bored of the formula at this point
    Assault Squad- The single player "missions" are all skirmish maps with infinite waves of enemies vs infinite waves of your own troops. You just try to take all the objectives in a straight line and push the enemy off the board.

I was generally not a fan of the commando missions because they were so silly. You would just hijack a heavy weapon and then set yourself up to funnel enemies down a corridor.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    ^ Top  
  17. adddeed Arcane Possibly Retarded

adddeed
    You should play Soldiers Heroes of WWII and Faces of War.
    Campaign missions are a lot of fun. Faces of war has all kinds.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. jebsmoker Magister Patron

jebsmoker
    Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
    soldiers is incredible and the campaigns are great fun. the physics in that game is still one of my all time favorites

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. adddeed Arcane Possibly Retarded

adddeed
    Yep it was quite a nice surprise back in 2004.
    I think Faces of War was the peak of the series for me. Did not enjoy Men of War as much. Speaking single player only.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Sinilevä Erudite Patron

Sinilevä
    Strap Yourselves In
    Heroes of WWII and Faces of War were truly great games. Men of War was also good, but I didn't like that it was more multiplayer oriented. I also remember how Heroes of WWII caused a bit of a butthurt, because in the German campaign you were playing as SS troops under the command of hauptsturmfuhrer Michael Wittmann killing copious amounts of Allies.:M

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jugashvili 管官的官 Patron

Jugashvili
    Codex 2013
    Will they be implementing morale/psych this time around or will the troops still be Leeroy Jenkins?

^ Top  
  22. Jonathan "Zee Cat Arbiter

Jonathan "Zee Cat
    One of my favorites was the one from the british campaign where u had to blow a fuel depo in africa and the american one with the bridge in the beginning where in the end a flak barge comes in.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.