Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Men of War: Vietnam is out

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Just a heads up for those of you who enjoy the Men of War series, once again this one focuses in the singleplayer portion of the game and offers a campaign based in the war of Vietnam.

I still haven't tried it, nor there are any reviews of it, but seriously, you can't go wrong with the MoW series. Those of you who haven't played any of the games should try it.

Atomkilla

Arcane
I really need to get this game. Never finished, just partially played it.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
As much as I love MoW, Vietnam is a boring setting. Tanks and artillery made MoW exciting game, infantry focused jungle battle doesn't give the same thrill :(

Though would be kinda interesting to see how modern weaponry compares to WW2 ones.

spectre

Arcane
Hey, that one took me by surprise. And I've yet to finish off Red Tide and Assault Squad.

Seems like it'll be a bitch to navigate all that foliage, not to mention it'll probably kill my ancient rig. Here hoping for some agent orange and napalm action.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Haba said:
As much as I love MoW, Vietnam is a boring setting. Tanks and artillery made MoW exciting game, infantry focused jungle battle doesn't give the same thrill :(

Though would be kinda interesting to see how modern weaponry compares to WW2 ones.

I don't know, there's still room for a lot of tanking in the game and just thinking about the things that the engine can do with napalm and the jungle makes me tremble

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Good to know some guys are still making good RTS games on the PC.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Haba said:

Modern weaponry in Vietnam?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
MetalCraze said:
Haba said:

Modern weaponry in Vietnam?

M14
AR-15
H&K HK33
UZI / MAC-10
M60
Bazooka / M72 LAW
APC's
Remington's pump-action/full auto shotguns
M40 sniper rifle

The kind of futuristic gear that your army is planning to buy in 10-20 years.

laclongquan

Arcane
You crazy? The North's equipments are borrowed, beg, or stolen from USSR and China. Ditto The South but from US. Who would have modern/expensive equipments at that time in that place? AK, SKS, AR15 M16, M60, and that's it.

Rainer

Novice
The game is hard as fuck, I like it. By the way, do anyone else get random freezes? I had to reset my computer everytime. Pretty sure it's not about my GPU aswell.

Steve

Augur
Even though I've enjoyed the shit out of the "Of war / osfront" series I'm going to skip this one, I dont think the setting is very good for a MoW game and it's singleplayer/coop only.

I can imagine the vietnamese voiceacting being hilarious.

MapMan

Arcane
If I've never played men of war, what would be the best game in the series to get into it? I only played some men of war multi beta on steam but since I didn't really know what to do, I got raped hard and it all seemed really hectic.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
In the end it's all a matter of taste I guess, as the improvements between every game are noticeable but minor, the games released are (in chronological order)

-Men of War -> You can play the Soviet, Allied & Axis campaigns, it has multiplayer & cooperative for the campaign.

-Men of War: Red Tide -> Singleplayer only game, there's only one (long) campaign in which you control the Soviet and I think that the missions feel smaller scale that those in MoW.

-Men of War: Assault Squad -> Multiplayer focused game of the lot, sure it has skirmishes that you can singleplayer but they're just maps full of enemies without any other objective than just capture some flags. If you want to play multiplayer you should get this, otherwise try another one.

-Men of War: Vietnam -> First on the Vietnam setting, campaing for the USA and another for North Vietnam, I thought it wouldn't have multiplayer but looks like it has 4 player coop for the campaign.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
bonescraper said:
J_C said:
Good to know some guys are still making good RTS games on the PC.
Yeah, MoW:V is pretty decent, but i'm waiting for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgDgUlgorlU

Shit looks faptastic.

Yeah "looks".

Besides gorgeous looks, MoW has fully destructible environment, realistic ballistics and massive variety of weapons and vehicles.

Wargame has pretty pew pew and a lot of explosions. I'd love to like it, but from the advertising and interviews, I'm afraid they are going for the lowest common denominator with this title.

Wargame is a total tribute to war-games we loved when we were younger such as Perfect General, Steel Panthers ... We have made our best to offer the same richness as they did, as well as providing the best accessibility to allow any strategy fan to jump easily into the game.

Rainer

Novice
The first mission in the NVA campaign is pretty tough and fantastic, with only 4 men you have to take on an entire American garrison. unfortunately I had uninstalled my game after the constant hard-reset requiring lockups. I won't play until a patch comes.

Yannos

Educated
Don't bother with this one. 1C took a huge crap over the franchise.

You can barely see anything due to the foilage (including your own guys). It's insanely hard, even on easy. And you won't have any big battles. Of the 10 measly missions (5nva, 5 us) you almost always have a squad of only 4 guys that all die in two or three hits. So you'll be saving & reloading constantly.

If you want to get into the series; get the original MoW. It's only 12 bux on Steam now.

canakin

Cipher
I am kind of stuck at the mobile HQ part of second mission, anyone have good strategies for that place? Goddamn mounted MGs rip my guys apart : (

Edit: Nevermind lol, just bombed the place to fuck with granade launchers.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Haba said:
M14
AR-15
H&K HK33
UZI / MAC-10
M60
Bazooka / M72 LAW
APC's
Remington's pump-action/full auto shotguns
M40 sniper rifle

Only M14 is used today in US army, very rarely, only by specops and heavily modified. Are you sure you are not living in '70s?

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Dont listen to the closeted consoletards. Game is not harder than Soldiers. Its easier. You get snipers, grenades, ammo till the end of days. Hell, fog of war is disabled by default...

I am only disappointed that it the same shit as Soldiers. Faces of War introduced God Mode (unlimited waves of allies who did your job) so I didnt play that crap much and this is the first Men of War for me since I dont play multi and didnt want WW2.

Engine is CPU limited, I think, cause I push every setting to max and my GPU fan wont even spin up but the frame rate drops.

Erzherzog

Magister
Yannos said:
Don't bother with this one. 1C took a huge crap over the franchise.

You can barely see anything due to the foilage (including your own guys). It's insanely hard, even on easy. And you won't have any big battles. Of the 10 measly missions (5nva, 5 us) you almost always have a squad of only 4 guys that all die in two or three hits. So you'll be saving & reloading constantly.

If you want to get into the series; get the original MoW. It's only 12 bux on Steam now.

In most Men of War titles, there's a button you can click that causes allies to be highlighted in blue and enemies in red, and it is seen through cover too. That should solve one issue for you.

Rainer

Novice
I really enjoyed this iteration of MoW at the squad level, but the level design just makes it all bad. I'm not talking about the jungles, I'm talking about the denizens of randomly packed enemy groups. The second mission in the NVA campaign, for example, had exactly 150 enemy troops inside it. huge amounts of enemies doesn't make it more challenging - it just makes it more tedious. you can pick off everyone one by one from a bloody jungle anyway. I wish they actually designed challenging levels instead of throwing the entire bloody Marine Corps and the Air Cavalry towards our way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom